Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FUSC Transfer and Regular Supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone,

I'm looking to purchase a 2016 Tesla Model S 70 from a private owner. How do I know if Free Unlimited Super Charging will transfer from the owner to me?

Also, I live right by a Tesla Supercharger. If Free Unlimited Super Charging does transfer, I'm okay with just charging there regularly instead of installing a home charger and charging from home. Will charging from a Supercharger regularly degrade the battery at all?

Any other suggestions or recommendations for a first-time Tesla buyer?

Thanks!

Todd

You would have to read the original contract between the first owner & Tesla to know if the free unlimited supercharging transfers to a new owner. The original owner has access to that contract through their phone app.

Supercharging regularly does degrade the battery faster than using a home charger. All batteries degrade over time/usage, however, and the difference isn't outrageous. There are many Tesla owners who rely on superchargers—especially those owners who live in apartments.

As far as home charging, depending on your usage, a 120v outlet might be sufficient (probably not), but you would be happier with a 240v outlet. A hardwired wall charger on a dedicated 100 amp 240v circuit would be best, but, if the car only has a single onboard charger, there is no point in going beyond a 60 amp circuit.

Reactions: dbldwn02
All 2016s had transferrable free supercharging. If you’re buying from the original owner you’re good.

You’ll get mighty sick of sitting around at a supercharger for every charge. Plan on home charging, it’s one of the best benefits of owning an EV.

Thanks DavidB, Jillmark99, and ucmndd!

How does the FUSC transfer work? For example, will the current owner need to do the transfer on Tesla.com, on the app, calling Tesla directly? Am I able to make sure the transfer goes through before officially purchasing the Tesla? I would hate to purchase the vehicle, we try the transfer, and learn that we're not able to.

I appreciate the help!

...How does the FUSC transfer work?...

A company policy can be changed without notice and non-binding.

A binding contract agreement example is below:

upload_2020-9-29_15-19-22-png.593555

All those items above cannot be unilaterally taken away because of company "policy" because it's an agreement.

Absence of proof of agreement means you are at the mercy of the company's policy.

Reactions: DavidB
Thanks Tam!

Your Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement just says "Free Unlimited Supercharging." Is the Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement supposed to say "Free Unlimited Supercharging Transferable When Sold" or something like that?

Also, how does the FUSC transfer work exactly? For example, will the current owner need to do the transfer on Tesla.com, on the app, calling Tesla directly? Am I able to make sure the transfer goes through before officially purchasing the Tesla? I would hate to purchase the vehicle, we try the transfer, and learn that we're not able to.

...Is the Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement supposed to say "Free Unlimited Supercharging Transferable When Sold" or something like that?...

No. Once the property is paid, Tesla has to prove that it was theft with unpaid payment in order to go to court and go through a legal process of repossession.

An agreement is legally binding and Tesla just can't say they take the $3,990 Long Range feature back with a different owner who has accessed to that legally binding agreement.

It's just like when you fully paid for your home that specifically includes the refrigerator. Sears just can't break down your door and repossess the refrigerator without your consent. It has to go to court and prove that it has its name as a lienholder on the house and go through the legal process of repossession.

Also, how does the FUSC transfer work exactly? For example, will the current owner need to do the transfer on Tesla.com, on the app, calling Tesla directly? Am I able to make sure the transfer goes through before officially purchasing the Tesla? I would hate to purchase the vehicle, we try the transfer, and learn that we're not able to.

People including Tesla would give you all kinds of answers: Both yes and no, both before and after...

You just need to understand that an agreement is legally binding. You might call Tesla and it might say that no problem, you'll get your FUSC fine. However, that verbal assurance is not a legal agreement spelled out in a contract. So unless you get a hold of a receipt saying that FUSC was paid/included, you are at the mercy of Tesla.

Thanks DavidB, Jillmark99, and ucmndd!

How does the FUSC transfer work? For example, will the current owner need to do the transfer on Tesla.com, on the app, calling Tesla directly? Am I able to make sure the transfer goes through before officially purchasing the Tesla? I would hate to purchase the vehicle, we try the transfer, and learn that we're not able to.

I appreciate the help!
You don’t need to do anything. The free supercharging will automatically transfer as long as you are buying it privately from the original owner.

Depending on how often you charge, supercharging all the time can save a lot of money down the road. Typical per kwh charging here in expensive CA is around $0.37 and that can add up fast especially with the phantom drain tesla is known for. But like others have said you are giving up convenience. But if it is really close, I say go for it. I usually spend the time waiting to charge by surfing the web, watch videos, or getting work done.

Also don't believe what others have said about degradation if you often fast charge. It has never been proven fast charging degrades your pack faster. Only tesla knows this answer and they are not saying for now. From my experience, I have not experience any major degradation from fast charging also 100% of my tesla's life.

Reactions: TimT and dbldwn02
Hi all am late for this forum by 2 years,
near me has 6 supercharged just been installed. I am also looking to buy a used 2016 model S with "FREE UNLIMITED SUPER-CHARGE" features. It also came with PREMIUM connectivity Spotify for life. I called Tesla today to get some verification for that to make sure i will get the "FREE CHARGE". But the lady won't confirm for me even if i can provide the seller's car VIN number. I find it very frustrated. Back and forward couple of time and did not seem to go anywhere. Any TESLA owner experts can recommend some step by step guide to me where to start. much appreciated.

There is no such step-by-step guide and you do not need to do anything special to proof that you, as a new owner have this FUSC. If the seller is private person, it’s not owned by any company or dealer before you claim it yours then you only need to get all needed agreements between the seller and yourself. This is sufficient to contact Tesla so that they will transfer the ownership over to the buyer. It’s all a little different by the region you resides but as soon as you have the seller agreement, then both you (as buyer) and seller (as previous owner) need to indicate your decision to Tesla so that they can full-fill the transfer.
Of course, as indicated before a copy of original purchase agreement by the previous owner will be good proof if for unknown reason Tesla does not honour this new situation. I think you @8u7000_mat are in Australia, so better find a sub-forum of your region here in TMC and ask from your local mates how they have became owners of user cars. In EU, after your purchase you contact (together with the seller) Tesla and they will transfer the ownership over. If the car had FUSC before this transfer then you can also use the charging network as designed during that time. But all other actions on the app will start to work after the transfer been fulfilled. Good luck!

I just purchased a 2014 MS mainly because for the free unlimited supercharging feature since I am renting an apartment and has no 240v charging in my garage. I tried to contact Tesla and they won't provide any info due to privacy issues. So I had the seller contact them and Telsa confirmed it before the purchase.