Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FUSC Transfer and Regular Supercharging

todda_88

Sep 4, 2021
Arizona
Hello everyone,

I'm looking to purchase a 2016 Tesla Model S 70 from a private owner. How do I know if Free Unlimited Super Charging will transfer from the owner to me?

Also, I live right by a Tesla Supercharger. If Free Unlimited Super Charging does transfer, I'm okay with just charging there regularly instead of installing a home charger and charging from home. Will charging from a Supercharger regularly degrade the battery at all?

Any other suggestions or recommendations for a first-time Tesla buyer?

Thanks!

Todd

DavidB

2010 Roadster Sport || 2013 S85 || 2017 X100D
Supporting Member
Jul 8, 2013
Silver Spring, MD
You would have to read the original contract between the first owner & Tesla to know if the free unlimited supercharging transfers to a new owner. The original owner has access to that contract through their phone app.

Supercharging regularly does degrade the battery faster than using a home charger. All batteries degrade over time/usage, however, and the difference isn't outrageous. There are many Tesla owners who rely on superchargers—especially those owners who live in apartments.

As far as home charging, depending on your usage, a 120v outlet might be sufficient (probably not), but you would be happier with a 240v outlet. A hardwired wall charger on a dedicated 100 amp 240v circuit would be best, but, if the car only has a single onboard charger, there is no point in going beyond a 60 amp circuit.

Jillmark99

Feb 1, 2019
Ontario
If the current owner of the vehicle is the original purchaser of the car and you are doing a private sale then free unlimited supercharging should transfer to the new buyer.

Reactions: Wol747

ucmndd

Mar 10, 2016
California
All 2016s had transferrable free supercharging. If you’re buying from the original owner you’re good.

You’ll get mighty sick of sitting around at a supercharger for every charge. Plan on home charging, it’s one of the best benefits of owning an EV.

todda_88

Sep 4, 2021
Arizona
Thanks DavidB, Jillmark99, and ucmndd!

How does the FUSC transfer work? For example, will the current owner need to do the transfer on Tesla.com, on the app, calling Tesla directly? Am I able to make sure the transfer goes through before officially purchasing the Tesla? I would hate to purchase the vehicle, we try the transfer, and learn that we're not able to.

I appreciate the help!

Tam

Nov 25, 2012
Visalia, CA
...How does the FUSC transfer work?...

A company policy can be changed without notice and non-binding.

A binding contract agreement example is below:

upload_2020-9-29_15-19-22-png.593555

All those items above cannot be unilaterally taken away because of company "policy" because it's an agreement.

Absence of proof of agreement means you are at the mercy of the company's policy.

Reactions: DavidB

todda_88

Sep 4, 2021
Arizona
Thanks Tam!

Your Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement just says "Free Unlimited Supercharging." Is the Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement supposed to say "Free Unlimited Supercharging Transferable When Sold" or something like that?

Also, how does the FUSC transfer work exactly? For example, will the current owner need to do the transfer on Tesla.com, on the app, calling Tesla directly? Am I able to make sure the transfer goes through before officially purchasing the Tesla? I would hate to purchase the vehicle, we try the transfer, and learn that we're not able to.

Tam

Nov 25, 2012
Visalia, CA
...Is the Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement supposed to say "Free Unlimited Supercharging Transferable When Sold" or something like that?...

No. Once the property is paid, Tesla has to prove that it was theft with unpaid payment in order to go to court and go through a legal process of repossession.

An agreement is legally binding and Tesla just can't say they take the $3,990 Long Range feature back with a different owner who has accessed to that legally binding agreement.

It's just like when you fully paid for your home that specifically includes the refrigerator. Sears just can't break down your door and repossess the refrigerator without your consent. It has to go to court and prove that it has its name as a lienholder on the house and go through the legal process of repossession.

Also, how does the FUSC transfer work exactly? For example, will the current owner need to do the transfer on Tesla.com, on the app, calling Tesla directly? Am I able to make sure the transfer goes through before officially purchasing the Tesla? I would hate to purchase the vehicle, we try the transfer, and learn that we're not able to.

People including Tesla would give you all kinds of answers: Both yes and no, both before and after...

You just need to understand that an agreement is legally binding. You might call Tesla and it might say that no problem, you'll get your FUSC fine. However, that verbal assurance is not a legal agreement spelled out in a contract. So unless you get a hold of a receipt saying that FUSC was paid/included, you are at the mercy of Tesla.

Jillmark99

Feb 1, 2019
Ontario
Thanks DavidB, Jillmark99, and ucmndd!

How does the FUSC transfer work? For example, will the current owner need to do the transfer on Tesla.com, on the app, calling Tesla directly? Am I able to make sure the transfer goes through before officially purchasing the Tesla? I would hate to purchase the vehicle, we try the transfer, and learn that we're not able to.

I appreciate the help!
You don’t need to do anything. The free supercharging will automatically transfer as long as you are buying it privately from the original owner.

EVRider-FL

Aug 18, 2015
South Florida
Also, I live right by a Tesla Supercharger. If Free Unlimited Super Charging does transfer, I'm okay with just charging there regularly instead of installing a home charger and charging from home.
You’ll find it more convenient to charge at home, since you don’t have to go anywhere or wait for the car to finish charging.

No2DinosaurFuel

Apr 16, 2015
San Diego, California
Depending on how often you charge, supercharging all the time can save a lot of money down the road. Typical per kwh charging here in expensive CA is around $0.37 and that can add up fast especially with the phantom drain tesla is known for. But like others have said you are giving up convenience. But if it is really close, I say go for it. I usually spend the time waiting to charge by surfing the web, watch videos, or getting work done.

Also don't believe what others have said about degradation if you often fast charge. It has never been proven fast charging degrades your pack faster. Only tesla knows this answer and they are not saying for now. From my experience, I have not experience any major degradation from fast charging also 100% of my tesla's life.

r1200gs4ok

Jul 17, 2019
Irvine
All 2016s had transferrable free supercharging. If you’re buying from the original owner you’re good.

You’ll get mighty sick of sitting around at a supercharger for every charge. Plan on home charging, it’s one of the best benefits of owning an EV.
especially if Tesla opens up superchargers to the other EV's

Reactions: Wol747

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC