TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Fuse with constant 12V power

Discussion in 'Model X' started by HappyHappy, Jun 14, 2017.

Tags:
  1. HappyHappy

HappyHappy Member

Anyone know if any of these fuses next to the accelerator/brake pedals provide constant 12V power? I'm considering using one of these:

BlackboxMyCar Add-A-Fuse

to power a dash cam. I was told fuse F203 is the fuse for the cigarette lighter, which would be great for switched power. That would make hardwiring the Thinkware dash cams pretty easy. Thanks!

2. Dissern

Dissern Member

Did anyone figure out which fuse in this location provides constant 12V?

3. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Just checking in as I am also interested in this topic. @HappyHappy and @Dissern did you ever get any responses, maybe via PM? Thanks.

4. reddy

reddy Member

#4 reddy, Apr 22, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
    The MS has power on the OBD connector that is always on.

I used this one from Amazon and took off the 12v power plug, and connected the power wires to my dashcam.

This gives me 24/7 power to the dashcam.

http://a.co/2dCursV

5. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Thanks. I’m sure the X is the same. I’ve never done this before: what kind of plug/connector do I need to draw 12V power from that OBDC connector? Looks like I could use something like this by cutting off the cigarette light plug end and splicing it to my in-car receiving power cable: https://www.amazon.com/AUTOOL-Emergency-Lighter-Cigarette-Battery/dp/B01N7T2UWL/ref=sr_1_6?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1524432394&sr=1-6&keywords=obd2+power+cable

6. reddy

reddy Member

Yes, that's exactly what I did. You picked a different brand than I did. Bear in mind that I purchased in 2014, so I'm sure that prices have changed.

My dashcam cable came with a 12v cigarette lighter style power plug.

I took the OBD connector from Amazon, cut off the OBD connector's cigarette power plug and soldered the wires to this receptacle to make it plug in easier.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00065L2D8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I cut off the clamps, and soldered those wires to the + and - wires coming off the OBD connector.