TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Fusion

Discussion in 'Energy, Environment, and Policy' started by vfx, Dec 28, 2008.

1. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

2. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

3. just-an-allusion

#3 just-an-allusion, Jan 4, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
    Getting there, and it all began here:

ITER

Beyond ITER

Sometimes you have to use both feet, others you merely need just a little nudge. We wait only to see what the future will hold....

4. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

#4 dpeilow, Jan 4, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2009

ITER is not yet built - it is intended to be built in the south of France. It is preceeded by JET, the Joint European Torus, which is in the UK and will continue to run until ITER is ready.

[​IMG]

The inertial confinement fusion experiments are using a very different technique to what is being tested in these reactors. Hopefully both will be successful.

5. just-an-allusion

Apologies, I thought that this was covered with the second link I posted"?"

Beyond ITER

6. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

#6 dpeilow, Feb 18, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
    There was an interesting edition of Horizon on BBC2 last night looking at the current state of fusion research. It visited the facilities of the various groups looking at different approaches (JET, NIF, Z machine, K-star) and talked about ITER.

The subtext to the programme was can fusion offer a way out of the energy crisis, so there was a small segment on the energy crisis where they talked to Saul Griffith. Some quite scary numbers about how many wind turbines / acres of solar arrays / fission plants will be needed per day to phase out oil and maintain standards of living in the coming decades. However, it didn't say that equally as many fusion plants as fission plants would be needed, so the task would be no less hard if the technology were ready today. It left me with a sense of anger at the lack of progress over the last 10-15 years (according to the schedule I saw when I was at school, JET should have already evolved into ITER and by now we should be gearing up for a commercial demonstration plant).

It's worth watching and if it is not visible from outside of the UK, I have a copy. It's also on some torrent sites already.

BBC iPlayer - Horizon: 2008-2009: Can We Make a Star on Earth?

7. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

8. NANO-ELECTRIC

NANO-ELECTRIC New Member

Hydrogen Fusion Soon To Be Proven

Interesting,

It has been a long time coming, but soon, all the world will have to admit fusion is feasible, if not economical, once these final tests are completed. Controlled fusion is a real game changer, and I for one cannot wait to see how many naysayers will crawl into their holes as they have made those who believed in cold fusion have done over the years.

Blacklight is about to rewrite physics books, so when cold fusion is also proven, I wonder how many other so called experts will crawl in their holes who castrated Pons and Fleischmann. Interesting times for sure.

Success to all,

9. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator