Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fusion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
malcolm said:

Getting there, and it all began here:

ITER

ITER said:
Beyond ITER The steps beyond ITER are open at this stage. During the ITER construction and operation period, other magnetic confinement schemes or inertial fusion may show more promise than ITER, so the door is open for these schemes to supersede the tokamak in subsequent steps. Certainly, the technologies developed for and tested on ITER: remote maintenance, tritium breeding high temperature blankets, and high heat flux components, will provide essential information whatever the confinement scheme used.
Beyond ITER

Sometimes you have to use both feet, others you merely need just a little nudge. We wait only to see what the future will hold....

Last edited:
Getting there, and it all began here:

ITER

ITER is not yet built - it is intended to be built in the south of France. It is preceeded by JET, the Joint European Torus, which is in the UK and will continue to run until ITER is ready.

jet-iter-s.jpg

The inertial confinement fusion experiments are using a very different technique to what is being tested in these reactors. Hopefully both will be successful.

Last edited:
ITER is not yet built - it is intended to be built in the south of France. It is preceeded by JET, the Joint European Torus, which is in the UK and will continue to run until ITER is ready.

jet-iter-s.jpg

The inertial confinement fusion experiments are using a very different technique to what is being tested in these reactors. Hopefully both will be successful.

Apologies, I thought that this was covered with the second link I posted"?"

Beyond ITER

There was an interesting edition of Horizon on BBC2 last night looking at the current state of fusion research. It visited the facilities of the various groups looking at different approaches (JET, NIF, Z machine, K-star) and talked about ITER.

The subtext to the programme was can fusion offer a way out of the energy crisis, so there was a small segment on the energy crisis where they talked to Saul Griffith. Some quite scary numbers about how many wind turbines / acres of solar arrays / fission plants will be needed per day to phase out oil and maintain standards of living in the coming decades. However, it didn't say that equally as many fusion plants as fission plants would be needed, so the task would be no less hard if the technology were ready today. It left me with a sense of anger at the lack of progress over the last 10-15 years (according to the schedule I saw when I was at school, JET should have already evolved into ITER and by now we should be gearing up for a commercial demonstration plant).

It's worth watching and if it is not visible from outside of the UK, I have a copy. It's also on some torrent sites already.

BBC iPlayer - Horizon: 2008-2009: Can We Make a Star on Earth?

Last edited:
Hydrogen Fusion Soon To Be Proven

Interesting,

It has been a long time coming, but soon, all the world will have to admit fusion is feasible, if not economical, once these final tests are completed. Controlled fusion is a real game changer, and I for one cannot wait to see how many naysayers will crawl into their holes as they have made those who believed in cold fusion have done over the years.

Blacklight is about to rewrite physics books, so when cold fusion is also proven, I wonder how many other so called experts will crawl in their holes who castrated Pons and Fleischmann. Interesting times for sure.

Success to all,