Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Future 3rd party hitch options for Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It looks there are currently two hitches available for the Model 3. Torklift Ecohitch for $400 and the Stealth Hitch for $338 ($438 - the $100 coupon they have right now). Does anyone know of any other options on the horizon?
I'm going to use it exclusively for a hitch mounted bike rack and I'm not interested in these removable options. In my opinion they hang too low. My current plan is to buy the Stealth hitch and modify it to come out the black trim on the bumper cover but I know someone else will come out with a cheaper option right after I buy it. Haha.

Reactions: Getlib
I wouldn’t hold your breathe for options that come directly aft through the painted or black plastic bumper. It’s not very desirable aesthetically and requires more visible modification. Putting the receiver higher would also put the bikes in more unhindered airflow reducing range and likely block rearward visibility more.

Are you worried about scraping the receiver or your bike rack?

I wouldn’t hold your breathe for options that come directly aft through the painted or black plastic bumper. It’s not very desirable aesthetically and requires more visible modification. Putting the receiver higher would also put the bikes in more unhindered airflow reducing range and likely block rearward visibility more.

Are you worried about scraping the receiver or your bike rack?
I'm worried about scraping both. The Model 3 is a pretty low car. I'm especially worried what could happen while backing up if the receiver digs in to asphalt. It seems like it could stop the car instantly putting tremendous force on the frame.
I doubt anyone is going to release a hitch that comes out higher. I was just hoping someone would release a cheaper option like the draw-tite hitch for the Model S which is only $155. I plan on cutting it up and welding the receiver to a higher position so it seems like a shame to do it on a $400 hitch. My plan is to have it set back so it is just behind the black lower bumper cover. Then I can use the cut out piece to cover the hole when it's not in use. This could end in tears. haha

I'm with you all the way. I'd bet there are thousands of people who'd prefer the hitch you describe, including myself. I wish torklift would design a second option. Seems like a small modification to their current design wouldn't be too difficult for them, and would pay for itself within a few months of sales.

I've got the Torklift and I've never had a problem scraping, in spite of having to drive up and down a steep driveway with a sudden grade every day. My Volt used to scrape in the front, but I've never had a problem with the Model 3.

IMG_2613.jpg

I placed my order for a Stealth Hitch on a Sunday, it shipped 3 days later on Wednesday, and it arrived on Friday.
I opened the box as soon as it arrived to look at how the latching mechanism worked. My initial impression was that the workmanship was second to none. The way it connects and disconnects is very ingenuitive. There is no play when it is connected and it comes with an integrated lock.

I installed it today in about 3 1/2 to 4 hours. I consider myself fairly handy (4 out of 5). The only thing I found intimidating was pulling the bumper off after removing the bolts (as I have had bad experience with this on other cars). I did get a bit of the reinstall out of order, as I tried to do this from memory and had to undo a couple steps to get things right. I could pobally do it in 3 hours next time.

Before purchasing it, I worried about clearance. With Stealth Hitch’s $100 coupon, I figured it was cheap enough that I wouldn’t be too upset if it was to low to be useable. Well, the clearance of my Kuat bike rack is right at 8” after installation. I haven’t driven it around too much but I’m optimistic that it won’t cause any trouble on the streets that I usually drive on.

In summary, I’m very happy with the addition to my car. I’m also glad that I chose to install it myself. I have not seen Torklift’s Ecohitch in person, but I bought the Stealth Hitch instead as I perceived it’s latching mechanism was superior. After installing it along with my bike rack, I give it a 9 out of 10.

BE58261D-9A55-4E58-99FC-A904E9980C2A.jpeg 5D2EFCA1-2618-4B35-8F46-80837282205B.jpeg 947D4366-5180-49BF-9132-DB2ACDB41BE0.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: android04
I placed my order for a Stealth Hitch on a Sunday, it shipped 3 days later on Wednesday, and it arrived on Friday.
I opened the box as soon as it arrived to look at how the latching mechanism worked. My initial impression was that the workmanship was second to none. The way it connects and disconnects is very ingenuitive. There is no play when it is connected and it comes with an integrated lock.
Thanks for the great review. This one is $100 more than the Torque Lift, so I'm still trying to make the case that it is worth the extra money.
Is there a video somewhere that I can't locate... that shows how the latching works?