Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Future Charging for Model S 1-phase or 3-phase ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
3 phase makes much more sense in the European markets where 3 phase distribtution is much more pervasive. In the US, the high voltage local feeders to suburban residential areas tend to be single phase, so three phase is not as available. Larger commercial areas and larger multi-tenant dwellings are likely to have 3 phase in the US.

With a high power charger, you get to choose if you want the weight and expense on the vehicle or as part of the charging infrastructure.

I think we'll need both for some time to come... I'm very interested in following the 43 kW AC fast charging worldwide and the US. I certainly see good application for it in the US, even though it probably won't be as ubiquitous as J1772 or a lower power wireless in the future.

When cars vastly outnumber charging spots, it becomes more economical to have the charger offboard. But that also assumes that the charging host isn't overly cost sensitive and is willing to install a DC fast charger. So having the charger on car, means the install costs less for the host if 3 phase is already available, but the host still has to be willing to go to the time and expense of getting permits and doing some facilities work to install a 43 kW AC fast charger.

I'm thinking we need some 43 kW AC fast chargers with the charger on the vehicle for delivery trucks, taxis, etc. where there are many destinations relative to the number of vehicles and the stop time at each destination is 5 minutes to an hour.

For passenger cars, a couple 20 kW AC fast charge in many places (malls, restaurants, etc.) and 43 kW AC or 50 kW DC fast charge in some places (highways, major destinations) would be nice. 3 kW (12 Miles Per Hour of Charging, MPHC) or 6 kW (25 MPHC) isn't fast enough when you're waiting for the charge. 20 kW (70 MPHC) as an on board charger is pretty nice and can be done single phase if need be. The 43 kW AC should be onboard for some types of vehicles and maybe an option for entry and mid level EVs, maybe standard for performance EVs and those with 300+ mile range.

43 kW AC for the US maket will be YANEVCCS - Yet Another EV Charging Connector Standard! J1772 is single phase and goes up to 19 kW, so it can't be mechanically adopted without additional pins.

There's also the wireless charging, though that seems a few more years out to wide commercial adoption and currenlty mostly under 10 kW from what I've seen. Doesn't seem like there are any wireless options for 20 or 50 kW fast charge.

Certainly exciting times in terms of working all of this out!

Status
Not open for further replies.