Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Future features: 'Sleep' mode and a 'sensor suite' of driver safety features

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
>> 85% isn't good enough, the car needs to lose the vampire draw entirely.
> Won't happen. Tesla's philosophy is to monitor the battery pack at all times.

How much energy does running a few sensors and some computer really need? It should be possible to do it at less than 10W.
10W for a day is 240 Wh or under one mile of range. No-one would complain about that.

That would be impossible to do and still maintain the battery monitoring, right? If they can reduce it by 85% that would be a good start and make most people happy. Just like there are compromises with driving an ICE (pollution, going to gas station once a week....etc), there are compromises with driving an EV that actively monitors the pack and that wakes up quickly when the driver gets into the car. There is nothing to prevent them from working on this more in the future via software and future hardware revisions of the Model S but don't think they can get it to zero.

- - - Updated - - -

Some are losing around 8 rated miles a day I think so 15% of that would be 1.2 rated miles.

Maybe some of this discussion should be moved to the main Vampire thread but it is interesting.
I realize that the loss cannot be zero, but 1 mile or less of rated range overnight should definately be possible.

It's fairly easy to lose 30 miles of range overnight in cold weather, so losing 15% of that or almost 5 miles is not cool.

My question: Can the new "sensor suite" features be added via a retrofit?

I think that the answer to this question is yes.
For the sensor suite you need to add a radar or camera for the pedestrian detection and the same radar or camera can be used for obstacle avoidance at low speed. Then you need a camera for the blind spot detection and another radar for ACC. For ACC it could be used the same radar used for obstacle avoidance at low speed. Then of course you need some electronic boards to control all this stuff, but it's easy. No? ;-)

Last edited:
Elon said that purchasing the maintenance package would enable Tesla to provide upgrades to the cars as they are available. We can only hope!

I seriously doubt the maintenance package would provide any of the safety feature updates for free (that require any additional hardware) or even upgradeable. Their service shops would be so busy with retrofits and they are already so busy at the Menlo Park SC... They definitely wouldn't be doing it for free either. All the new things Elon is planning or adding (blind spot monitoring, adaptive cruise control, etc...) would be for future new cars with a "$6.5k safety package" he will charge. As for the potential LTE upgrade, I'll cross my fingers, arms, or legs, to hope that it could even be done for the currently shipped Model S. Won' hold my breath on that one. They would need to practically rip apart the dash to get to the screen to swap hardware. I saw it taken apart at the SC and it looked like a time consuming task. Sucks for us... oh well.

I seriously doubt the maintenance package would provide any of the safety feature updates for free (that require any additional hardware) or even upgradeable. Their service shops would be so busy with retrofits and they are already so busy at the Menlo Park SC... They definitely wouldn't be doing it for free either. All the new things Elon is planning or adding (blind spot monitoring, adaptive cruise control, etc...) would be for future new cars with a "$6.5k safety package" he will charge. As for the potential LTE upgrade, I'll cross my fingers, arms, or legs, to hope that it could even be done for the currently shipped Model S. Won' hold my breath on that one. They would need to practically rip apart the dash to get to the screen to swap hardware. I saw it taken apart at the SC and it looked like a time consuming task. Sucks for us... oh well.

Agree. You get thousands of $ of hardware and labor free by paying $500 less now for maintenance as opposed to paying TM $500 more over 4 years? :screwy:

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Keep in mind some of the "vampire loss" is self-discharge of the cells, which is a fact of life with LiOn batteries even if the current draw is zero.

Self-discharge is higher at high SOC and high temperatures, but even at low SOC it doesn't go away completely.
Depends on the chemistry. My LiFePO4 cells have no measurable discharge after months of sitting when disconnected from any loads. I'm not sure we know the self discharge rates of the cells Tesla is using in the S.