TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Future Hardware Upgrade

Discussion in 'Model X' started by napabill, Feb 11, 2016.

1. napabill

napabill Active Member

Somewhere I read a comment that the X's front-facing camera was offset, so as to allow a second camera down the road for a more sophisticated AP. Anyone aware of this? And would this allow for a future upgrade to existing X's?

2. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

I believe it would only allow this if they planned to do it and installed all the necessary wiring to be there already.

3. elguapo

elguapo Member

I wouldn't expect any hardware upgrades to existing Xs. Similar statements were made about the S and it didn't happen because as dsm363 said, they'd need to pre-wire everything and they didn't on the S and I don't think they did on the X either. This goes for side cameras, newer AP hardware, etc. It's expensive to add if they don't know they'll use it AND adding it later drives more people to upgrade, as they noted on the call last night regarding Ss coming off lease without AP and people leasing new ones with AP.

4. ptsagcy

ptsagcy Member

This is one of the primary reasons I decided to lease instead of buy. I was afraid if major improvements came out (hardware, battery, charging speed) that the value of the older cars would plummet. This way I can walk away and lease or buy a new one, or buy this one off lease.