Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Future Model 3 owners in Saskatchewan?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,
I have been following this forum and tesla in general for at least two years. Great resource of information

Anyway, I'm considering putting a deposit on a 3 here at the end of the month. 1K to get on the list and see what happens.

The only hesitance I have is the potential resale on the car with ontario potentially offering $14k off the price of the car. Given that I live in Saskatchewan, we do not have an ev rebate and hence I would end up paying full price for the car. If i did end up selling the car privately I would be up against discounted model 3's from BC, Ontario and Quebec.

I realize this car will probably be great, and i probably wouldn't ever sell it, but has this crossed anyone else's mind from Sask?

No, I've been taking an evening class, and I have a class on the 31st. So I'll be reserving online on the 1st. Mind you, I might stay up past 1am to do so. :smile:

I went to a talk by a guy from the Sun Country Highway a few weeks ago, and I think he said there were something like 10 Model Ses in SK. I know there's one guy driving a Roadster in Regina.

There are a couple of SK owners on this board. You might have seen InternetDude's videos, he's in Regina:
https://www.youtube.com/user/dainternetguru

I'm considering putting a deposit on a 3 here at the end of the month. 1K to get on the list and see what happens.
Do it! Even if you're unsure I would say if you're interested put down that deposit ASAP. Heck I'm thinking about reserving a 3 because by the time it shows up it might be time for me to get a new car LOL.

Whereabouts do you live (PM me if you don't want to say publicly), just curious.

The only hesitance I have is the potential resale on the car with ontario potentially offering $14k off the price of the car. Given that I live in Saskatchewan, we do not have an ev rebate and hence I would end up paying full price for the car. If i did end up selling the car privately I would be up against discounted model 3's from BC, Ontario and Quebec. I realize this car will probably be great, and i probably wouldn't ever sell it, but has this crossed anyone else's mind from Sask?
Well if you are concerned about resale you should basically never buy a brand new car. The depreciation on a 3 will be tens of thousands less than the depreciation on my car, for example. Don't sweat it IMHO. Everyone else in SK that buys an EV is in the same boat.

any idea as to how many tesla cars are in sask? I heard the other day there is only 5-6 ev's in regina
There are about 10 Model S owners. I'm not sure how many Roadsters, so far 0 X's.

There are a couple of SK owners on this board. You might have seen InternetDude's videos, he's in Regina:
https://www.youtube.com/user/dainternetguru
Thanks for the link drop.

Other things to consider when buying a Tesla in SK is the $1,500 ranger fee and the complete lack of Superchargers (and currently no plans whatsoever to build them here). I'm not going to go too off-topic but let's just say if the car is drivable to Calgary then that saves you $1,000+ in the ranger fee. And if it's not drivable it will be towed up to 800km for free (can you get to Calgary in 800km?). And the Sun Country Highway makes longer EV road trips possible in SK. So those aren't deal breakers in my opinion just things to keep in mind. Considering how often policies and things change at Tesla, those two things might be better by the time you receive the car anyway.

Hey guys,

Welcome..good point..by the time you get your delivery of 3, things would change a lot, Both good and bad. My experience with Model X price has been a disaster, a shocker. EV owners association and enthusiasts should petition our local Governments for rebates. I had seen a open letter to our Prime minister on this forum, don`t know what happened.

Are you sure that the Online will open up past 1 am on April 1st?? Where did you get that info?? Is it just an assumption based on the Iphone bookings?? Just curious.
Oh wait, that's after the time zone change.

I was assuming the online booking would open up at midnight Pacific. Which would be actually 2am here after tonight. OK. I might go to bed and get up at 2am...

Do it! Even if you're unsure I would say if you're interested put down that deposit ASAP. Heck I'm thinking about reserving a 3 because by the time it shows up it might be time for me to get a new car LOL.

Whereabouts do you live (PM me if you don't want to say publicly), just curious.

Well if you are concerned about resale you should basically never buy a brand new car. The depreciation on a 3 will be tens of thousands less than the depreciation on my car, for example. Don't sweat it IMHO. Everyone else in SK that buys an EV is in the same boat.

There are about 10 Model S owners. I'm not sure how many Roadsters, so far 0 X's.

Thanks for the link drop.

Other things to consider when buying a Tesla in SK is the $1,500 ranger fee and the complete lack of Superchargers (and currently no plans whatsoever to build them here). I'm not going to go too off-topic but let's just say if the car is drivable to Calgary then that saves you $1,000+ in the ranger fee. And if it's not drivable it will be towed up to 800km for free (can you get to Calgary in 800km?). And the Sun Country Highway makes longer EV road trips possible in SK. So those aren't deal breakers in my opinion just things to keep in mind. Considering how often policies and things change at Tesla, those two things might be better by the time you receive the car anyway.

Thanks for all the info internet dude. I live in Regina! the city that rhymes with fun apparently. Terrible joke I know

I hear you on the vehicle depreciation thing, it happens, especially with new cars. I doubt I would ever sell the car, it would just be nice knowing that the car has the same value nationally ya know?

Saskatchewan won't be getting a supercharger for a while it looks like, which is fine, we have the suncountry highways to help fill the gaps. I just wish the SCH charger stations had a bit more juice. Has anyone driven from Regina/Saskatoon to Calgary using the SCH network? How long did it take?

Also, in other news. About a month ago, I called the Calgary Tesla sales centre asking about Elons model 3 deposit tweet. The girl had no idea what I was even talking about. She was like "Sorry we cannot be held responsible for everything Elon says" LOL. Today I called Calgary Tesla again and there was an automated message talking about putting deposits on the Model 3. Awesome. They must have had a lot of calls by now.

Saskatchewan won't be getting a supercharger for a while it looks like, which is fine, we have the suncountry highways to help fill the gaps. I just wish the SCH charger stations had a bit more juice. Has anyone driven from Regina/Saskatoon to Calgary using the SCH network? How long did it take?

I do this run several times a year. If leaving from Saskatoon, it will pretty much take one whole day. A full recharge at the Kindersley Peavy Mart is required to make the trip (so verify that it is online before setting off), with an optional top-up at the Ramada Hotel in Brooks, AB to make up for any unexpected losses due to weather (or speed ;) )

My preferred route though is to go through Regina because the TCH on the way to Calgary has more charging options. This way if one EVSE happens to be offline for some reason, you can still continue on. On the Saskatoon route, you're pretty much hosed without Kindersley.

If you start from Regina, allow the same one-day trip time as you would from Saskatoon. If originating from Saskatoon, I allow for 2 days to reach Calgary. Typically, I'll overnight in Regina at the Best Western Seven Oaks (not the most modern hotel but a real oasis for EVs with THREE high-powered EVSEs on the property). From there pretty much every community along the road to Calgary has an EVSE available. Choose the one(s) that suit your schedule and the road conditions.

I reserved one. Not sure if I'll buy one for sure, I just wanted to get in the queue right away in case I really, really want one. I don't think we'll see any Model 3's being delivered to SK for probably 2 years from right now anyway.

What I would buy without hesitation is a Tesla pickup. Like in a heartbeat.

Hmm. Why does the vast majority of the interest/owners come from Regina? o_O
I'm actually surprised by that too. Saskatoon is a city with a lot more progressive minded people it seems. I phoned the Calgary sales centre the other day, they mentioned a few model S and model X sales in toon town recently.

I put down a reservation the other night at well. Excited to say the least. I hope to order the base model with dual motor and the cold weather package. I'm not expecting the car for 2 years or so

Let's cross our fingers for 2-3 Saskatchewan super chargers on the updated 2017-18 map.

I'm in Regina and I also preordered a model 3. Did so pretty much the minute it was possible online!

This is my first post and I'm really excited to be on the board. My wife is really tired of me talked about Tesla so I need an outlet.... Lol
Join the club! I've had to force myself to limit Tesla discussions to one per day (with her). It's been really hard since the Model 3 release, considering I haven't mentioned that I put down a deposit yet. Gotta get her buy-in first before the remaining $49,000 leaves the bank account :) I'm hoping that by the time 2018 rolls around she'll be all like "Man, I sure wish there wasn't a 500,000 person waiting list" and then I'll jump in all "Boy, aren't you lucky someone was thinking ahead...!" :)

I'm in Regina and I also preordered a model 3. Did so pretty much the minute it was possible online!

This is my first post and I'm really excited to be on the board. My wife is really tired of me talked about Tesla so I need an outlet.... Lol

Sounds like my house... and yes, I'm in Regina too.

I'm very disappointed in the $1500 ranger service, otherwise I'd have bought a Model S already.