Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Future Model Y: Some possible ideas from the 2003 Opel Insignia concept car

What type of rear doors would you prefer for the Model Y?

• Falcon Wing Doors (Like Tesla Model X)

Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Sliding Doors (Like 2003 Opel Insignia or 2016 VW ID concept car)

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Rear Suicide Doors (Like BMW i3)

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Regular Rear Door (Like Tesla Model S or Model 3)

Votes: 12 48.0%
  • Other Type of Doors

Votes: 1 4.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

NeverFollow

Aug 9, 2010
Looking at the Concept 2003 Opel Insignia, this could give some ideas about the future Tesla Model Y:

2003-opel-insignia-concept.jpg

2003-opel-insignia-concept.jpg

Paris Motor Show 2016: Volkswagen I.D Concept Revealed

vw-id-concept-4_889x500_51475135383.jpg

I'd prefer regular doors so I can use a roof rack for extra storage or my paddle board.

However, browsing around the Model X forums has shown me that some industrious owners have found some solutions for roof storage. Specifically, suction mount systems which could attach to the glass over one side.

SeaSucker

So while I'd still take regular doors for sake of ease, at least I won't have a heart attack if the Y gets launched with the FWDoors now, knowing I've got no options for my paddle board,

• Informative
Reactions: Takumi
However, browsing around the Model X forums has shown me that some industrious owners have found some solutions for roof storage. Specifically, suction mount systems which could attach to the glass over one side.
I guess you are making reference to Great Ski Rack (minor DIY required) for Model X

I have the impression that the Model 3 design was more focus on providing great rear seating and head room,
which explain the choice of not having a hatchback like the Model S.

This choice of best rear sitting could be dictated by making the Model 3 as a perfect Livery car (Taxi) in cities.

If the Model Y comes with FWD I have the impression that a 6 seats would be then provided,
giving even an advantage to be chosen for car pooling:

MIT’s new algorithm finds New York Metropolis solely wants 3,000 four-passenger vehicles
to satisfy the taxi calls for – if they’re all used for carpooling.

Agreed. Those will go hand in hand. No FWD, no 3rd row and vice versa. I only wonder if the Model 3 platform dimension would allow for enough room for a 3rd row for anything more than kids seating. So if the goal is a carpool vehicle for adults, I doubt there'll be the space.

So if the goal is a carpool vehicle for adults, I doubt there'll be the space.

You are right, a van based on the Model X platform seems a better choice for van/carpooling.

I read in a recent thread that someone seems to have spotted a Tesla Van prototype with a large FWD
near the Hawthorne Supercharging or the Tesla Design Studio parking.

A 6/7 seats Model Y would better compete with a Toyota Rav4 with 3rd row for example.

In US, the Model Y might be only available as 5 seats, but other markets might offer it as 6/7 seats.

For example in Europe and Japan, the Toyota Prius V was sold with 3 rows.