Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Future of FSD after "traffic light & stop sign response" release

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

It's a bit disingenuous of Green to say that Tesla is remiss because they haven't yet learned from others and replicated their successes. There's plenty to learn from Waymo, but you cannot replicate their success without replicating their sensors.

The world is a bit better off precisely because Tesla has decided not to follow the paths others have created. LIDAR-free FSD might be a fools-errand, but we won't know unless someone gives it a try.

You are correct except that straight traffic kept going on the green light and my car slowed down and stopped at the red turn light.
In the manual, it says: "When in a turning lane, Model 3/Model Y stops at the red stop line.... Model 3/Model Y will continue straight through the intersection (even when in a turning lane), so you must manually steer Model 3/Model Y through the intersection (which cancels Autosteer)".

According to the manual it sounds like the vehicle will stop regardless of if there is a lead car or traffic light state if it detects that it is in a turn lane.

In the manual, it says: "When in a turning lane, Model 3/Model Y stops at the red stop line.... Model 3/Model Y will continue straight through the intersection (even when in a turning lane), so you must manually steer Model 3/Model Y through the intersection (which cancels Autosteer)".

According to the manual it sounds like the vehicle will stop regardless of if there is a lead car or traffic light state if it detects that it is in a turn lane.

I've seen the same behavior on my last drive - I was behind a car approaching a green light and mine was slowing down anyway; I had a blinker on. I assumed it was misdetecting a turn lane (it was a one-way 2-lane road). Will have to try again at that intersection to see if the blinker makes a difference.

I don't think this has been discussed a lot but there are still plenty of road types where AP can't be enabled (no grey steering wheel icon). For example, streets on my university campus where I work. In order to be L5, AP will have to work on all road types. I don't say this to be negative. In fact, I think what will be exciting is when Tesla does enable AP on more road types. That will be just as exciting as big features like traffic light control.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
I don't think this has been discussed a lot but there are still plenty of road types where AP can't be enabled (no grey steering wheel icon). For example, streets on my university campus where I work. In order to be L5, AP will have to work on all road types. I don't say this to be negative. In fact, I think what will be exciting is when Tesla does enable AP on more road types. That will be just as exciting as big features like traffic light control.

Are there no painted lines on that street? It's rare these days when AP doesn't want to engage for me. On many of the streets I laugh at Autopilot for being so optimistic to think it could handle all of them, but it still offers the possibility.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
Are there no painted lines on that street? It's rare these days when AP doesn't want to engage for me. On many of the streets I laugh at Autopilot for being so optimistic to think it could handle all of them, but it still offers the possibility.

No, there are no painted lines. But traffic goes both ways. It is not a one way street. Here's what it looks like. I follow the rose-hulman rd down the middle of the pic from wabash ave at the bottom of the pic, past the logan library building, to the parking lot at the top of the pic by lost creek.

shVu0Fu.jpg

With no lines, AP would need to hug one side so as to not hit incoming cars but also not hit curbs. And there are some tight curves. So autosteer would need to be precise. I definitely think roads like this with no lines need to work on AP in order to do end-to-end autonomous driving, L5. I am hoping that the FSD feature "autosteer on city streets" will try to solve this.

Last edited:
Interesting. Graduated from Rose in '82. Looks like it has changed some since then...

Nice to hear from a Rose grad. :) I never had the pleasure of attending the school but I do work there.

Yes, the campus has changed a lot since 1982. And it is changing some more. We are in the process of building a new academic building right now next to Myers Hall.

Traffic control is officially out to the public in the EU with 2020.28.10

I wonder how the speed restriction impacts them. For me I don't even use AP with the traffic control because the average speed people go are well higher than the speed limit.

But, things in Europe I imagine are quite a bit different especially when all new cars are supposed to have speed limiters by 2022.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carltonreid/2019/02/27/all-new-cars-to-have-speed-limiters-fitted-rules-european-parliament/#5638638fd145

Just got a Y a little over a week or so. Tried the stoplight control feature. Not ready for prime time imo. It recognized stoplights at several hundred feet but when it detected a green light with no car in front of me, it began slowing down dramatically approaching 20 mph from the 45 mph speed limit for no reason. I had to repeatedly step on the accelerator for fear of getting rear ended. I turned the feature off.
Guys PLEASE read the instructions/release notes FULLY before enable features.

Seems like traffic control +5mph is coming very soon with 2020.28.5

After automatic city lane changes, I'd imagine they'll release turns next, after 3-6 months per usual Elon lingo.

It's actually a little unclear which question Elon was answering. Whole Mars asked:

"Elon, when will autopilot make lane changes automatically on city streets to follow the destination ?"

So Elon could have read "to follow the destination" and understood that to include turns too... But his response didn't indicate exactly what he was answering.

Reactions: diplomat33
It's actually a little unclear which question Elon was answering. Whole Mars asked:

"Elon, when will autopilot make lane changes automatically on city streets to follow the destination ?"

So Elon could have read "to follow the destination" and understood that to include turns too... But his response didn't indicate exactly what he was answering.

Yeah. At this point, I don't think we really know what "feature" Tesla will release first. How ambitious will Tesla be? Will they just release
"no confirmation lane changes" on city streets? Will they release "turning at intersections" with confirmation? Will "turning at intersections" work for all intersections or only certain intersections (ex: only multi lane intersections with turning lane and traffic lights)? Presumably, Tesla will release things incrementally, so I doubt that we will get the full "turning at intersections with no confirmation" right out of the gate.

In any case, I am really curious to see what we get.

Reactions: willow_hiller
Last edited: