Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Future of FSD after "traffic light & stop sign response" release

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"Autopilot & Full Self Driving(FSD)
We enabled stop sign and traffic light recognition and braking for our Early Access Program users at the end of Q1 and to the wider public in April 2020. As we have done with previous releases of major new features, drivers will be required to confirm their attention in order to continue. Once enough real-world data is collected, the system will become more capable and our vehicles will continue driving through intersections without a confirmation"
And reiterated again in the Q2 2020 update:
"Autopilot & Full Self Driving
Our traffic light and stop sign recognition system is becoming more robust as we continue to collect more data from our customers driving through intersections. As of Q2, our FSD-equipped cars will either stop at an intersection or drive through it without driver confirmation when it is deemed safe to do so. Ultimately, the necessity for confirmation will be withdrawn completely."
https://ir.tesla.com/static-files/f41f4254-f1cc-4929-a0b6-6623b00475a6

Future of FSD is all and good.
But Tesla should be able have blind spot warning now. There is no blind spot warning except in autopilot.
It seems to be easy if its already in AP.
It can be put in FSD. If in there , I rather see FSD is always on until disable by choice.
Also stopping at a stop sign at a farther distance sometimes is annoying.
If I give it a little paddle, car would suddenly jerk to a stop.
I hope these would be worked out eventually.

From earnings call: Elon says that latest development build on his car can almost do his commute from his home to Tesla HQ without interventions even with construction zones. He also mentioned they are working on intersections and narrow streets.

So latest build cannot do his commute with zero interventions yet.

Interesting he mentioned narrow streets. I don't think we've heard that before.

Earnings Call:

Question about next FSD milestones:

Elon: AP rewrite transition from 2D to 4D, ie going from image processing to video processing. Giant improvement. Expected later this year. It will do "traffic lights, stop, turns, pretty much everything". After that it will be long march of 9's. Definitely be way better than humans but how much better does it need to be. Massive amount of work with each order of magnitude of reliability. "we should be concerned where AI is going." Computers will be way smarter than humans.

Earnings Call:

Question about next FSD milestones:

Elon: AP rewrite transition from 2D to 4D, ie going from image processing to video processing. Giant improvement. Expected later this year. It will do "traffic lights, stop, turns, pretty much everything". After that it will be long march of 9's. Definitely be way better than humans but how much better does it need to be. Massive amount of work with each order of magnitude of reliability. "we should be concerned where AI is going." Computers will be way smarter than humans.

I find the whole 4D thing to be pretty amusing as one of the things owners like me have taken issue with is the cars utter lack of regard for the future or the past.

Glad they finally woke up to it, but they could have 10 rewrites ago.

... Glad they finally woke up to it, but they could have 10 rewrites ago.
Hardware 3 enabled this functionality. If you look at Karpathy's previous talks he mentions problem of having enough memory to store 16 frames. So current software will be limited somewhere around there. Maybe hardware 4 will allow for 100 frames.

Any rumours regarding what 20.32 might include? Elon's tweets in recent weeks have referred to speed limit recognition and turns as being in the pipeline but nothing more specific. As there seems to be a lot of frustration regarding the lack of speed limit recognition I am sure the autopilot community would be very appreciative of this functionality. Turns would be a huge step forward.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
Any rumours regarding what 20.32 might include? Elon's tweets in recent weeks have referred to speed limit recognition and turns as being in the pipeline but nothing more specific. As there seems to be a lot of frustration regarding the lack of speed limit recognition I am sure the autopilot community would be very appreciative of this functionality. Turns would be a huge step forward.

20.32 is not out yet. And there are no rumors or info yet about the update. It is pure speculation at this point. It could maybe contain speed limit recognition or maybe something else. I doubt it would contain "making turns" since Elon said that the AP rewrite is still 2-4 months away.

20.32 is not out yet. And there are no rumors or info yet about the update. It is pure speculation at this point. It could maybe contain speed limit recognition or maybe something else. I doubt it would contain "making turns" since Elon said that the AP rewrite is still 2-4 months away.

I am aware that 20.32 has not been released yet - hence my original question regarding rumours as to what it might contain - when it is released.

It is unlikely that the development of all other functionality is on hold until the rewrite is completed. Indeed the release of stop sign and traffic light control indicates that the release of enhanced functionality is not on hold.

I am aware that 20.32 has not been released yet - hence my original question regarding rumours as to what it might contain - when it is released.
One of the subreddit moderators says "There's also some speed limit stuff under the covers, but nothing enabled yet :)" 2020.32 : teslamotors where one guess is Autopilot will compare the differences among the network output, map data and driving behavior of self and other vehicles to detect accuracy of the network then a later update to actually affect the display and driving behavior.

Anyone find that the acceleration on a green light is really sluggish on the latest "traffic light control". I am stopped at a red light. The light turns green, I hit the talk to confirm, and my car goes like 20 mph. The speed limit on the road is 55 mph! Cars behind me were probably wondering what was wrong with me. I stomped on the accelerator to get up to a decent speed quickly.

I know the feature is beta and Tesla wants to play it safe just in case it is not a green but they need to ramp up the acceleration on green.

Anyone find that the acceleration on a green light is really sluggish on the latest "traffic light control". I am stopped at a red light. The light turns green, I hit the talk to confirm, and my car goes like 20 mph. The speed limit on the road is 55 mph! Cars behind me were probably wondering what was wrong with me. I stomped on the accelerator to get up to a decent speed quickly.

I know the feature is beta and Tesla wants to play it safe just in case it is not a green but they need to ramp up the acceleration on green.

Yes. It kind of lolly gags to get to speed. Also, in traffic while on TACC, it’s sluggish to move when the car ahead starts moving. It was better on 2020.28.5.

• Helpful
Reactions: diplomat33

Hit or miss for me. Some intersections it will fly through from a dead start, others it will crawl like you mention. Been this way since release.

• Helpful

I wonder if it is sluggish because it can't see if anyone might be running the red? And at the intersections where the view is clear, it guns it like most of us would? Just a guess.

• Helpful