Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Future of Hotel Charging and How to Get There

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think all would agree that hotels are ideal spots for level 2 charging. Most people sleep at least 6-8 hours at a hotel, which is the right amount of time to get a full or nearly full charge even at 40 amps.

Currently, I find hotel charging very stressful. Usually there are only 1-2 chargers. They may or may not be available, and they may or may not be working. If they are taken, it is likely that the person using them will keep their car there all night. If I am planning a trip and am counting on a hotel charge to make it to the next destination or supercharger, I usually am worried about whether I will be able to successfully charge at the hotel. The only reliable experience I have had with hotel charging has been at a hotel with a valet who controlled the charger and could move cars in and out of the spot as needed.

I was thinking about what would make hotel charging better. I think a good system would be to have a number of spots (I was thinking 6-10) that each have a NEMA 14-50 outlet. These spots would be clearly marked as reserved, and would be numbered. When you made your room reservation, you would be able to add a "charging parking spot" to your reservation, likely for a small fee. If all the spots were already reserved, you would know this at the time of trying to make a reservation. When you checked in, you would receive a charging parking spot number and could use your own cable to charge from the outlet.

If the spots were not reserved, and the hotel lot was nearly full, the front desk could tell ICE drivers checking in to park there. For example, they could say "charging spots 6, 7, and 8 are not reserved tonight. Go ahead and park there if you can't find another spot." If the spots are in a desirable area of the parking lot, they could even use these unreserved spots as perks for valued guests as a bonus on check-in.

I don't know much about electrical work, but it seems like adding a string of 14-50 outlets in the parking lot would be a manageable project for most hotels. Having it be an outlet makes it easy for any brand of EV driver to use. This also should be more reliable than having something like a blink charging station. Having it be a nightly rental makes it simple and should cover the costs of electricity for the hotel. From the customer perspective the reliability of knowing you have a reserved spot would be a big improvement over the current system.

Is this how you see the future of EV charging at hotels? If not, what do you expect or what do you think would work? What could we as EV owners do to encourage hotels to adopt this model?

Yeah, good luck with that. If hotels won't install Tesla HPWCs when Tesla pays for the units and most if not all of the installation expense, and gives the hotel free publicity by listing it in the destination charging map, they're not going to pay to install 14-50s. Have you ever asked a hotel to participate in Tesla's destination charging program? My success rate is about 20%.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
20% sounds like a pretty good success rate to me! Currently the number of long range ev drivers are so small that the economics don't really work out. It might require some government incentives to make it work.
Yeah, good luck with that. If hotels won't install Tesla HPWCs when Tesla pays for the units and most if not all of the installation expense, and gives the hotel free publicity by listing it in the destination charging map, they're not going to pay to install 14-50s. Have you ever asked a hotel to participate in Tesla's destination charging program? My success rate is about 20%.

Don't stay at the hotels without Charging! Even when you are not driving!! $$s will motivate them. I always ask when booking a reservation.
Not necessarily true on a recent road trip I stayed 2 nights in a place with no charger but they were gracious enough to get me parked next to a 110 outlet which got me enough to make it to the next SpC and I talked to them about putting a hpwc in. Remember that we are still in an incubation stage, progress will be slow

Reactions: jbcarioca
How do the economic incentives not work when Tesla gives the charging stations away and pays for installation?

I was talking about the economics of putting in a string of 14-50 outlets.

Is it really true that there is no cost to the hotel to install a Tesla destination charger? That seems like a very good deal. I would think that the larger hotel franchises would jump on that more quickly than they have. What is the downside from a hotel perspective?

There is a cost of losing parking capacity, installation costs and power, some property owners just don't care to take on the associated issues of installing chargers. Going forward these types will become fewer in numbers as ev cars become more common

Reactions: jbcarioca
I always consult the Find US - Tesla page when visiting a new destination in the US, whether or not I have my Model S with me.

I often want to undertake the road trip, but even if it is a drivable distance from NYC where I am based, it often doesn't happen bc some of these are short weekend jaunts and it doesn't make sense to spend a full day driving there, and a full day driving back when I only have a day or two to spend at the destination.

still... even without my car I have often stayed at places with destination chargers and (as much as I hate to make a destination, and I really shouldn't) other types of level 2 charging stations.

I always ask, including when I know and have used charging at the hotel. I also ask tourism sites, and have had some success, although I have not clue what percentage have actually done anything as a result of my choice. I was a focus group participant for an hotel chain that later announces their intention to install EV charging at their corporately-owned properties. Mostly IME they've done it. I still ask. I recall the Hyatt Place Asheville, NC where I gave the hotel GM a ride in my Tesla, and he took photos. Shortly thereafter they had Destination Charges and J1772.

Not necessarily true on a recent road trip I stayed 2 nights in a place with no charger but they were gracious enough to get me parked next to a 110 outlet which got me enough to make it to the next SpC and I talked to them about putting a hpwc in. Remember that we are still in an incubation stage, progress will be slow
I agree. Hotels that are gracious enough to provide an outlet, any outlet, will get my business even if they lack real charging stations. My experience, however, has been that only a fraction of hotels have even been willing to provide an outlet.

Reactions: scaesare
I agree. Hotels that are gracious enough to provide an outlet, any outlet, will get my business even if they lack real charging stations. My experience, however, has been that only a fraction of hotels have even been willing to provide an outlet.
I have not needed such an option in the last year or so, but before I charged at L1 outlets in several hotels. All of them were gracious, helpful and some went far out of their way to help. Those L1 outlets often made the difference between anxiety and comfort for me, not least because of cabin preheat on some cold days.

Reactions: scaesare
Hotels are used when traveling. Short-range BEVs don't travel much. PHEVs don't need charging, and charge slowly, often making chargers expensive to use. Even Tesla owners don't always take their Tesla on the road.

There's not that much of a market, so why bother?
We'll see how the market expands with the new generation of long-range BEVs that's coming.

Don't stay at the hotels without Charging! Even when you are not driving!! $$s will motivate them. I always ask when booking a reservation.
But $$$ also motivates me, and I find it's cheaper to stay in hotels without EV Chargers and utilize Superchargers on trips instead. The selection of hotels without chargers is much greater than those with chargers.

But $$$ also motivates me, and I find it's cheaper to stay in hotels without EV Chargers and utilize Superchargers on trips instead. The selection of hotels without chargers is much greater than those with chargers.

I have not found that to be the case. I have found that I can stay at equal hotels with a charger for the same price. But my point is that if you ASK, then you have put the bug in their ear that they may be loosing business if they don't have a charger!

I'm not picky though. It may be just an AC plug or 110 outlet they let me plug into.

Last edited:
Reactions: abasile
Here is an interesting development... New Tesla to J1772 adapter allows other electric cars to charge at Tesla’s Destination Chargers

Here’s a controversial new electric car accessory, the JDapter Stub (Tesla Charge Station Adaptor), which allows owners of non-Tesla electric cars, like the BMW i3 or the Nissan Leaf, to charge at Tesla’s public Destination Chargers or using the Tesla Wall Connector.

Like Tesla’s Supercharger, the lower-powered Destination Chargers also use Tesla’s proprietary connector, which made them unavailable to other vehicles. It was by design since it enables Tesla to only use a single plug, but it also limits access to the stations, which are often supplied for free to businesses, like hotels and restaurants, in order to propagate the charging infrastructure for Tesla’s fleet. Those chargers are now in over 5,000 destinations around the world – making it one of the most important electric vehicle charging networks out there.

JDapterStubRoadster.jpg

I thought the newer HPWCs have a way to detect Tesla vehicles and won't work otherwise. If I'm mistaken, I hope Tesla implements that quickly.

Tony Williams of Quick Charge Power, a one-stop shop for all things EV charging, has been working on his own solution for years and even started a Kickstarter campaign last year (since removed) for what is now JDapter Stub. The $400 adapter is now listed ready to ship on his website where he lists several caveats:
  • NOTE 1: JDapter Stub will NOT work with the Tesla Supercharger – Direct Current (DC) charging
  • NOTE 2: JDapter Stub will NOT work with vehicles with European Mennekes Type 2 inlets
  • NOTE 3: JDapter Stub will NOT work with Tesla UMC / mobile connector / HPWC / wall connector with European Mennekes Type 2 plugs
  • NOTE 4: JDapter Stub will NOT work with TESLA Roadster charge stations. JDapter will, however, work with Tesla Roadster using Tesla or aftermarket supplied J1772 adaptor
  • NOTE 5: DO NOT EXCEED 40 AMPS
  • NOTE 6: It is not recommended to use at over 264 volts on most EVs, except the 2012-2014 Toyota RAV4 EV and 2014 and newer Mercedes B-Class ED / B250e
  • NOTE 7: Some second generation Tesla charge stations may require up to 30 seconds to begin charging your EV
While it’s definitely a legitimate product that can be used by EV owners in the context of buying a Tesla Wall Connector for charging other EVs than Tesla’s at home, its use on public Tesla chargers, aside from Superchargers of course, is more of a gray zone. Technically, any EV owners could just plug into most of Tesla’s Destination chargers (in the US and Canada) and just start charging on the network paid for by Tesla and its Destination Charging partners. Tesla also has its own J1772 adapters to use free stations or other paid networks.