Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Future of my 2014 Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been on before asking those of you with older Model S vehicles, the future to hang on to this great car! She is in service for a lobotomy at the moment getting an infoentertainment upgrade.....my app was not communicating nor was my phone. I always look for feedback on keeping my car, but what service managers (I pick everyone's brain) are telling me is eventually she will not be able to maintain tech upgrades. So I am looking to hear what others are doing with their vintage Tesla's. Thanks for feedback. I have ~ 127,000 miles and going strong

I am in the same position with a 2014 P85D with 55k miles. I had a leaking MCU a week after the eMMC recall was perform and 2 weeks after my warranty expired. I upgraded to MCU 2. It now receives periodic software updates. I am on the fence of letting it go and getting a new one.

Upvote 0
Similar dilemma here with my 2015 P85D, although with only 45K miles. My thread about it:

In the end I decided to do the MCU2 upgrade and keep it for another year or two until there are more interesting other options on the market.

Upvote 0
In Fremont Service now with my 2014 P85+ with the dredded Cracked sub frame out of warranty. Have MCU2, Gen 1 seats, RWD only, but damn if I don't love, Free supercharging for life, sunroof, MCU2 upgrade and what the radio bump did to sound quality improved. Generally feels like a 1980's VW in build quality and a 90's Camaro in rear end flare when turning off TC. Planning on giving the car to my son when he turns 16, so plunking down some $3.5k for a new subframe and another hopefully 100k miles, at 99k now on 2nd DU. So otherwise she just eats Tires and Amazon and Pep Boys figured that out too.

Reactions: Art VandeIay
Upvote 0
I hope Tesla will continue making parts for the older cars. There's third-party too. The Model S (and other Tesla vehicles) can be one of those cars you keep running for years. True, it may at some point not be able to be upgraded direct from Tesla, but you can still keep it running like those 1990s cars, or older, that you see some people driving around in. And the Model S is a clean, zero emission 100% electric vehicle :)

As far as main battery repair options, the below third-party companies can help if you have an issue with it. Tesla also can of course, but their prices may be higher. I believe Tesla should offer a low-cost main battery repair option as it will really help them to maintain customer satisfaction and their environmentally friendlier image.

www.recell-ev.com

www.057tech.com

www.grubermotors.com

www.electrifiedgarage.com

Upvote 0