TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Future performance upgrade?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by MacGreiner, Jul 29, 2018.

1. MacGreiner

I'm wondering if the motors on the Model 3 AWD and performance are fundamentally different motors or if the difference is that the 188kW rear on the AWD has just been tuned down?
    What are the odds if this is so that they will offer a performance upgrade to uncork the AWD at a latter stage?

2. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

There is a separate thread on this ..consensus is Tesla won’t do this historically if u wanted the fastest Tesla u had to pay for the P ..

3. 1.21GW

1.21GW Member

Odds: 0.00001% chance

• Love x 1
  4. MacGreiner

Got it. Thanks for the replies.

5. Knightshade

Knightshade Active Member

Just for clarity- Tesla historically HAS uncorked other models for better performance, often for free. And I expect them to do that with the 3 once competition demands it.

What they're not likely to do is offer a paid upgrade to turn an AWD into a P, because that doesn't make a lot of sense from a sales perspective.

6. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Correct they have uncorked the 75Ds but that was never a paid or known feature ...the P upgrade is ... Tesla will piss off a lot of customers who paid for the P if they unlock this ..I could be wrong but I wouldn’t count on this happening

7. Knightshade

The 75D isn't the only one I'm talking about...though an uncork to less-than-P on the non-Ps would be exactly the same thing on the 3 as the S/X it was done for. Especially if they improve the P times a couple tenths as Elon suggested they could.

Shamelessly stolen from another post- but some of these were free, some were paid, some were known, some were not.

Examples of Tesla offering post-delivery "upgrades":
    AP1 convenience features ($2500)
    EAP ($6000)
    FSD ($4000 to $5000)
    60kWh Supercharging ($2000)
    60kWh->75kWh capacity unlock (prices varied)
    70kWh->75kWh capacity unlock (prices varied)
    75kWh acceleration uncork (free for compatible VINs)
    100kWh acceleration uncork (free for compatible VINs)
    P85D Ludicrous hardware upgrade ($5000)
    P90D Ludicrous software unlock ($10,000)
    P85D acceleration improvement 3.2s->3.1s (free OTA)
    P100D Ludicrous Plus mode (free OTA)
    60kWh to 85kWh battery upgrade (only one documented example)
    P85D to P90D battery upgrade ($20,000)
    P90Dv3 to P100D battery upgrade ($20,000)
    P85 performance plus suspension upgrade (prices varied)
    LTE upgrade (prices varied)
    Center Console (prices varied)
    Premium Center Console ($1250)
    Spoiler ($1500)
    Red Brake Calipers ($2300)
    HEPA Filter/Biodefense Mode

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  8. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

Didn't the original 85D's get a speed boost for free when they released Sport mode? Tesla

9. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

Bottom line - do not count on it. Buy what you want (or can afford) and be happy with it.

• Like x 1
  10. John Beans

John Beans Member

So you're saying there's a chance. Got it.

• Funny x 1
  11. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

Why not? For $14k couple years down the line. They can make more money.

12. TurnFast

TurnFast Member

If we assume the cars are identical hardware wise (from what I’ve seen, most signs point to them being the same)
    I see 3 possibilities
    1) Next year Tesla in a drive to be more profitable lets AWD users upgrade their car to a P for 12k or more (it’s going to cost more than getting a P)
    2) Tesla marketing decides it is not worth it to cannibalize P sales and never increases the speed of AWD
    3) If the P ever gets a free uncork, they might let AWDs pay to go to something like a 4s flat speed. This might cost 11k or more though since this would likely cannibalize P sales otherwise.

So in summary, if you want a P you should probably buy a P upfront. It would be kind of cool if option #1 became a reality and you were able to have a stealth P while paying AWD insurance rates.

13. Knightshade

I think the most likely one is this- once other EVs hit the market that are genuine competition for the 3 (ie not the much slower bolts or leafs) they uncork all 3 versions of the model 3 to make them all a bit quicker.

That still won't likely make any of them as quick as the corked version of the next more expensive one though (like RWD goes to 4.8, AWD to 4.2, P to 3.2....something like that)

I suppose they MIGHT consider a more-than-11k AWD->P Upgrade at some point but I see two major downsides-

1) We already see people thinking they'll skip software unlocks at purchase time since they can 'always add them later' but they prioritize things they think they can NOT add later (AWD or P)-so offering this as a software unlock means some folks will skip P initially that might otherwise have bought it. And Tesla would rather have 11k for sure today than maybe, possibly, get 12k from you later.

2) It would make it obvious to the majority of Tesla buyers (and the majority surely aren't on these forums to already know) that there's no real hardware difference they're paying 11k for. Possibly discouraging buyers put off by the concept of paying 11k for software. (Which is a silly thought-EAP is the same thing- but several folks even here have expressed it)

14. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

There is really no reason to improve the performance on previously sold cars to compete with new EVs in the market.

Make a faster one and start selling it.

Of course, in my opinion.

15. Knightshade

And yet Tesla has done it repeatedly.

Because, of course, it's the same software running on the same hardware.

So if they're going to make the "new" cars faster with software, the old cars get it too.

As far as competition- Look at when the S75 got the free 1 second 0-60 improvement. It was done specifically so it would be quicker than the RWD model 3 people were about to start having access to.

If they're willing to do that when competing with themselves why wouldn't they do it when competing with other companies?