Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Future PHEV's

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I personally cant wait for 100mi range PHEV's with compact battery packages, DC fast charging, and a powerful EV mode. I love pure EV but PHEV is not immune to battery tech advancements...

Imagine 5 years from now, paying a premium for your stinky "fast charging" in your Lexus at the once highly populated gas station as you stare at Tesla drivers hopping stalls and waiting for electrons to flow down a cable...

And yes, everyone knows that in the real world, PHEV drivers seem to have the bad habit of never plugging in. But consumer habits may very well change 5 years from now....

Please discuss...

Also, can Tesla get FSD robotaxi's into the hands of the masses before the service centers and charging infrastructure implode?

They sure are building a lot of highly proprietary and low quality cars very quickly.... Please discuss...

I personally cant wait for 100mi range PHEV's with compact battery packages, DC fast charging, and a powerful EV mode. I love pure EV but PHEV is not immune to battery tech advancements...

Imagine 5 years from now, paying a premium for your stinky "fast charging" in your Lexus at the once highly populated gas station as you stare at Tesla drivers hopping stalls and waiting for electrons to flow down a cable...

And yes, everyone knows that in the real world, PHEV drivers seem to have the bad habit of never plugging in. But consumer habits may very well change 5 years from now....

Please discuss...
I can't afford a Lexus any more than I can afford the current crop of Teslas.

There is no future for PHEVs.

As you add more batteries to get to this (theoretical) 100 mile EV range, the car gets heavier, requiring a larger, heavier engine to move the larger and heavier battery pack around. As the drivetrains balloon in size to carry each other around, your percentage of interior volume goes down as well!
As you add more batteries, the EV motor can spread its wings and offer plenty of pep to get the car rolling along. Package size indeed is an issue... And you don’t even need a big powerful ICE to charge the battery. What the consumers need is Toyota’s version of i3 REX but on steroids (the Rex couldn’t maintain highway speeds at low SOC. The new RAV4 prime can.)

Last edited:
I think GM had it right all along at 50 miles EV range for a PHEV. Too bad their marketing put their technology in the wrong product, and killed it off. Toyota got it right with the Rav4 Prime with 42 miles EV in a CUV everyone want. With the Highlander hybrid a hot sell (moved 48k units in 2020), one would think that is next.

I still think it's a niche product for people having access to an outlet at night, that is not as good as an EV.

But for people that wants one car do all, as part time commuter EV, and part time road trip car, PHEV is the best option today.