Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Future proof charger install?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a CT3 preordered, but I have a MYP on order now. I am now in process of getting a wall connector installed. It is my understanding it will be a 60 amp breaker for that. Is there any info on if the CT may be able to charge faster than the 60A would do? Would an electrician be able to put in larger gauge wire in wall for a future larger circuit and then we could just easily change the wall connector and breaker to the larger one?

No one knows on the CT. Your correct on the 60a circuit for the Y. Most figure it’s unlikely that the CT will be higher - but who knows.

Would need to look at the wall connector manual and see how large of wire the terminals will accept.

No one knows on the CT. Your correct on the 60a circuit for the Y. Most figure it’s unlikely that the CT will be higher - but who knows.

Would need to look at the wall connector manual and see how large of wire the terminals will accept.
Thanks. Just trying to save some time in future but sounds like it may not be worth it. Plus for me is that the charger is right next to the panel so easy to change in future. Now it is just to actually get an electrician to call me back.

I am now in process of getting a wall connector installed. It is my understanding it will be a 60 amp breaker for that. Is there any info on if the CT may be able to charge faster than the 60A would do?
I am certain it will not. Tesla had a perfect bulletproof Gen2 wall connector that could be installed on up to 100A circuits, and they killed it. They have reduced all parts of their AC charging system, both onboard chargers in the vehicles, as well as wall connectors, as being 60A maximum. That indicated what they think: 60A for AC charging, and if you want anything faster than that, go find a Supercharger.

Reactions: ReddykwRun
Thanks. Just trying to save some time in future but sounds like it may not be worth it. Plus for me is that the charger is right next to the panel so easy to change in future. Now it is just to actually get an electrician to call me back.
I am also fortunate to have a sub-panel with plenty of space for expansion in my garage and I installed my Wall Connector 6' away, easy. Did it myself and had a friend come over and Q.A. the job (he is an electrician). It charges at the full 48 amps, on a 60 amp breaker as specified in the installation instructions. I used #6 colored wire and PVC conduit with two pulling heads. Like installing a light bulb easy, don't make it up to be more difficult than it is.

I am also fortunate to have a sub-panel with plenty of space for expansion in my garage and I installed my Wall Connector 6' away, easy. Did it myself and had a friend come over and Q.A. the job (he is an electrician). It charges at the full 48 amps, on a 60 amp breaker as specified in the installation instructions. I used #6 colored wire and PVC conduit with two pulling heads. Like installing a light bulb easy, don't make it up to be more difficult than it is.
Yeah I had an electrician install the charger because I had him install a new sub panel so I can have more future circuits for my woodworking equipment. He did a nice job and got me in about 1.5 weeks

Yeah I had an electrician install the charger because I had him install a new sub panel so I can have more future circuits for my woodworking equipment. He did a nice job and got me in about 1.5 weeks
Good idea, get her done all at once and leave room for future expansion. I have read some horror stories of what some folks have to go through to get power where it's needed. My building contractor when I built this home was primarily an electrician that later grew to contract homes so he was biased towards future electrical needs, he even ran two "extra" circuits that "hey you might need these in the future" kind of circuits and he was right, I used both of them.

Reactions: kayak1
Joining this thread late, just reading the first few posts..... the reason for 60amp limit has to do with the NEC. Circuits > 60amp require a disconnect located at the device. So to avoid that requirement, you just limit the circuit to 60amps, of which 80% can be used for a continuous load.... volia .... 48amp charging.

"Safety Switch: For EVSE rated at more than 60 amps or more than 150 volts to ground, a means of disconnect must be installed in a readily accessible location and within sight of the electric charging connector. If the disconnect is not in sight of the equipment, it must be capable of being locked in the open position (CEC §625.23). Depending on local code requirements, a fused switch may be needed if the switch is not readily accessible, or is not visible from the main panel. "

I did the exact same thing, but I paid the electrician $350 to do it, been very happy with the Wall Connector for MYLR. Hoping the cord reaches because I plan to leave the CT outside in the driveway.

My future-resilient suggestion - 100 Amp copper from main panel to a sub-panel near wall connector location.
100 Amp breaker in main panel
60 Amp breaker in subpanel for wall connector.
100 Amp-capable copper from subpanel breaker to wall connector.

Tesla will soon realize that the massive “Cybertruck is my on-site truck!” segment wants to completely recharge overnight to avoid wasting time detouring to a Supercharger. Then they will reintroduce a 100 Amp supply / 80 Amp to vehicle wall connector and a Cybertruck 72-Amp upgrade option.

Skipping power purchase detour every day increases productivity. Picture the crew chief unplugging their truck in the morning, collecting the crew, heading to the job site, then connecting AC power feed to the CT. No wasted time, no generator and lower energy cost.

Early Model S had 40-Amp charger. You could buy a second one and have Tesla install it to reach 80 Amp charge speed. That was important when Superchargers were scarce and travel leaned on destination chargers.

My future-resilient suggestion - 100 Amp copper from main panel to a sub-panel near wall connector location.
100 Amp breaker in main panel
60 Amp breaker in subpanel for wall connector.
100 Amp-capable copper from subpanel breaker to wall connector.

Tesla will soon realize that the massive “Cybertruck is my on-site truck!” segment wants to completely recharge overnight to avoid wasting time detouring to a Supercharger. Then they will reintroduce a 100 Amp supply / 80 Amp to vehicle wall connector and a Cybertruck 72-Amp upgrade option.

Skipping power purchase detour every day increases productivity. Picture the crew chief unplugging their truck in the morning, collecting the crew, heading to the job site, then connecting AC power feed to the CT. No wasted time, no generator and lower energy cost.

Early Model S had 40-Amp charger. You could buy a second one and have Tesla install it to reach 80 Amp charge speed. That was important when Superchargers were scarce and travel leaned on destination chargers.
What is a "Cybertruck 72-Amp upgrade option"?

What is a "Cybertruck 72-Amp upgrade option"?
The last version of the onboard chargers in the Model S and X, before the 3 and Y came out, had two choices for the onboard charger. There was 48A or the 72A. So he is thinking that Tesa might reintroduce the 72A charger. I tend to think no, because they discontinued the wall connector that could do that, so I think Tesla has decided that they don't want to offer anything above 48A ever again.

Reactions: brkaus and kayak1
I just ran into a Model 3 driver at a Supercharger. He's a farmer who can't wait for a Cybertruck because he returned his Ford F150 Lightning (flipped it, I suspect). He said that trying to charge it at 30 amps just takes too long.
This kind of makes sense given it takes about 17 hours to charge the 131 KWh long range version. Its kind of like charging a Model 3 from a 120v outlet

• Funny
Reactions: kayak1 and T3SLAROD
Back to the original question: Future proofing should probably depend if you main panel is in the garage. If the panel is in the garage I wouldn't bother with future proofing. But when pulling power to the garage a 100 amp subpanel is probably the way to go. In a large house with a 3+ garage and 400 amp service, a 200 amp subpanel may be the way to go.

Almost everyone with a Cybertruck should be fine with 48 amp charging. But miles added per hour will depend on efficiency. The size of the battery doesn't determine charging needs. Usage and efficiency determines charging needs.

But I do agree that Tesla will likely offer > 48 amp charging at some point. Maybe at launch. Perhaps the delayed launch has enabled Tesla to have more options ready day 1.

Reactions: kayak1 and Big Earl
But I do agree that Tesla will likely offer > 48 amp charging at some point. Maybe at launch. Perhaps the delayed launch has enabled Tesla to have more options ready day 1.
I am quite certain they will not, although I think it's a bad decision. When Tesla got rid of the Gen2 wall connectors, which were great and could provide 80A, and replaced them with the less capable Gen3, which could only provide 48A, that was their statement of what they were doing going forward with their vehicles and charging levels.

Latest and greatest, Cybertruck-compatible Supercharger stalls going in at Barstow, CA.

PXL_20221202_202610014.jpg
PXL_20221202_202658049.jpg

Almost everyone with a Cybertruck should be fine with 48 amp charging. But miles added per hour will depend on efficiency. The size of the battery doesn't determine charging needs. Usage and efficiency determines charging needs.
There are job site use cases that go beyond efficiency. Rivian and Ford F150 Lightning introduce them. These will be more common as gas-powered equipment fades from the scene.

A contractor who powers work site tools from their truck. No noisy, smelly generator required.

A lawn service that recharges mower, trimmer and blower batteries from their truck. Fewer battery packs required to complete the day’s work. Quieter service.

The CT’s battery might be quite low by the time it’s parked at home. The owner will want to start the next day early with the battery at 80% or 90%. They won’t be happy to lose time and money lining up at a Megacharger to top up their charge.

Reactions: preilly44
This has also been rattling around in my brain for a while now. Finding a HPWC Gen 2 on eBay seems like the best option, as it can do up to 80 amps. My charger/outlet is only 4' from the breaker, so redoing wiring isn't hard. I've been rocking a NEMA 14-50 since 2015, when my original Model S could pull 40 amps and be happy all day. (My car could do 80, but 40 always met my needs).

Anyway With the big-bad-ass (200?) kWh battery of the cybertruck, I'm not sure the wimpy 32 amp of my UMCGen2 will cut it.

So, the 'fixed' NEMA 14-50 that can do 40 is nice, and solid price, if not always sold out.

But, Gen 3 HPWC is stuck at 48 amps... and I'm thinking a big ass battery deserves a big ass charger. So.. will Tesla stick with 48A for home charging, or swing for the fences, and then sell a Gen4 or CyberTruck branded HWPC, or even a bidirectional option?

I hate waiting, and have looked for options, but I'm thinking the best thing, for me at least, is sit tight. Get the truck, see if 32 amps meets my needs, and if not, evaluate options at that time. Anything else would be potentially wasting $ and time.