Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Future proofing electric vehicle charging at home...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm currently leasing a Volt that will expire at the end of the year, and have a Tesla 3 coming within a few months.

The charger I installed for the Volt connects to a 14-50 circuit and is capable of outputting 40 amps using the standard J1772 port (It's a Juicebox).

At first, I thought about replacing this with either the mobile charging cable directly connected to the 14-50 circuit, or purchasing Tesla's wall charger. However, I later learned that a Tesla manufactured J1772 port adapter exist for Tesla's vehicles and that it isn't restricted to 32 amps like the v2 mobile charging cable is. The adapter is also $95 vs the $500 Tesla wall charger and still leaves the option to quickly charge non-tesla vehicles.

With an ever-growing number of friends and family purchasing electronically chargeable vehicles, some of which aren't made by Tesla, I'm curious what other people are doing to prepare their homes for a future where we could be "gas stations" for our friends and family when they visit, or for when is it common to own more than one electronically charged vehicle.

I know that in the past, there have been long lines for public charging stations at times such as the holidays where a large number of people travel at the same time and it would be nice to have a backup power supply available to them if they want to visit. With the recent influx of Model 3s hitting the roads, I'm going to assume this Christmas is going to be especially awful this year.

I really don't think you need to be worried much beyond a NEMA 14-50 outlet for home use. Unless you have a habit of coming home for a couple of hours and constantly go on trips for hundreds of miles the NEMA 14-50 will handle your charging needs just fine. We always "wake up to a full tank."

Reactions: TrafficEng
However, I later learned that a Tesla manufactured J1772 port adapter exist for Tesla's vehicles and that it isn't restricted to 32 amps like the v2 mobile charging cable is. The adapter is also $95 vs the $500 Tesla wall charger and still leaves the option to quickly charge non-tesla vehicles.

All new Model S/X/3 comes with a free j1772 adapter, so you don't have to spend $95 to buy one. You only want to buy an extra one if you want to carry that in the car and left the other one on the charger at home.

Reactions: ItsNotAboutTheMoney
My recommendation would be to get an extra Tesla Mobile charging cord and use that plugged into the 14-50 socket. While the J-1772 adapter works, you don't get the auto-open and it is a lot less convenient than a Tesla plug. Then, between the Juicebox and Tesla cord, you can charge most anything.

I tried using the J-1772 adapter at first, but opening the door, then not being able to remove the adapter when charging just became infuriating. But, I would recommend going through the same thing yourself. When I ordered the UMC, I think that it only took a week to arrive. So, try the adapter first and see how well it works for you.

Reactions: ItsNotAboutTheMoney
I'm currently leasing a Volt that will expire at the end of the year, and have a Tesla 3 coming within a few months.

The charger I installed for the Volt connects to a 14-50 circuit and is capable of outputting 40 amps using the standard J1772 port (It's a Juicebox).

At first, I thought about replacing this with either the mobile charging cable directly connected to the 14-50 circuit, or purchasing Tesla's wall charger. However, I later learned that a Tesla manufactured J1772 port adapter exist for Tesla's vehicles and that it isn't restricted to 32 amps like the v2 mobile charging cable is. The adapter is also $95 vs the $500 Tesla wall charger and still leaves the option to quickly charge non-tesla vehicles.

With an ever-growing number of friends and family purchasing electronically chargeable vehicles, some of which aren't made by Tesla, I'm curious what other people are doing to prepare their homes for a future where we could be "gas stations" for our friends and family when they visit, or for when is it common to own more than one electronically charged vehicle.

I know that in the past, there have been long lines for public charging stations at times such as the holidays where a large number of people travel at the same time and it would be nice to have a backup power supply available to them if they want to visit. With the recent influx of Model 3s hitting the roads, I'm going to assume this Christmas is going to be especially awful this year.

Similar setup here. I have a JuiceBox 40 for my Leaf, but I bought that unit knowing the 3 was coming. My plan is to use it for both the Leaf and 3 with an adapter, but we'll see how it goes. I also like the idea of offering up charging to others with the standard plug (and power is "free" with the PV system).