Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Futuristic Digital License Plate on my Tesla - Rplate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just changed mine today from I Voted to Happy Thanksgiving, cause it's been another week

They have sports: I'd rather be playing golf -> sailing and Let's go Warriors
They have what they call "brands":
Happy Thanksgiving -> Happy Father's Day
Inspirational: Choose Hope -> Don't Pollute
Proud Grandma -> Baby on Board
Watch for Motorcycles -> Slow Down
Protect Wildlife -> Early Screening Saves Lives
US Army -> Honor, Courage, Commitment
Eureka! -> West Coast

And some new ones:

Driving the Future, Just Win Baby!!, Forever Faithful, Protect Wild Steelhead

and: www.rplate.com

-Randy

Toll Tags - EZ Pass
HOV Lane access - no more ugly stickers
Parking tags - fee paying and displaying time remaining on meter
Disability Parking - Replaces placard when parked
Fleet Vehicle Tracking - has real-time telematics and records historical tracks so if you are a Turo owner for example, you know exactly where your Tesla visited and when
Amber Alerts
Stolen Car Alert and tracking

Is HOV lane access a feature yet or is there an ETA? I spoke with them a couple months ago and they have absolutely no ETA about it. Sounded like it was a pipe dream that they tossed out as an incentive for people to buy these. But I'd definitely buy one if they figured this out.

I don't understand why this is so expensive and needs installation. E-ink doesn't use power when retaining an image - shouldn't a single battery be able to power the display for the life of the battery until it expires? Unless you're changing the text every hour... If they made it $100 or $150 max with no other features or monthly fee I would consider it - but can't use here in NJ anyway.

I don't understand why this is so expensive and needs installation. E-ink doesn't use power when retaining an image - shouldn't a single battery be able to power the display for the life of the battery until it expires?
Don't forget, it also has a GPS and a Cellular Modem built in. Kinda dumb on a Tesla, as they have those too, but on an average car you can track your kids, or if you loan the car out track the location. So you are not paying the $10++ a month for another cellular connection most of those gadgets cost.

-Randy

View attachment 329127 I have been following the digital license plate pilot program since the beginning of the year and decided to take the plunge last week for a number of reasons. The old metal license plates have been around for over a hundred years and the evolution to a digital plate is an absolute certainty in the years ahead. If you drive a futuristic electric Telsa automobile, you are an early adopter and the digital license plate is probably right up your alley. Here are a few of the reasons I decided to install the Rplate in my Tesla:
1) Im not a fan of applying the HOV sticker on such a beautiful car. The Digital Plate will have the ability make those stickers obsolete. Implementation of this HOV access feature will be enabled soon.
2) Custom Taglines and Graphics/Pictures
3) Realtime kinematics and tracking
4) No more registration stickers All electronic registration.
5) Adjustable background - black background/white lettering or white background / black lettering
6) Tolls / Parking fees - nice to eventually get rid of the EZ Pass box
7) Handicap Placard - we often forget swapping the placard in our cars for our handicapped son.

Al & Eds in Marina Del Rey is running an installation special now, waiving the $380 installation fee if you mention this TMC thread. See these youtube videos:
We love these! I would say 90% of the clients that come into our studio end up installing R-Plate Pros.