Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FW 8.1 AP2 no nags?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had a scary one yesterday - I went over a hill (overpass actually) and the lane was sweeping left to right slightly. At the top of the crest, the AS kept turning though the lane straightened out. I was almost 1/3 into the right lane before I could wrestle the control of the steering again. Luckily nothing was beside me. I was warned about this type of weakness on this board but this is the first time I have experienced it. Lane markings were good and the radius of the crest was not too steep in my opinion to lose track of the lanes. I will remain vigilant when I encounter similar terrain in the future.

Had a scary one yesterday - I went over a hill (overpass actually) and the lane was sweeping left to right slightly. At the top of the crest, the AS kept turning though the lane straightened out. I was almost 1/3 into the right lane before I could wrestle the control of the steering again. Luckily nothing was beside me. I was warned about this type of weakness on this board but this is the first time I have experienced it. Lane markings were good and the radius of the crest was not too steep in my opinion to lose track of the lanes. I will remain vigilant when I encounter similar terrain in the future.

If it is difficult to disengage AS by taking control of the steering wheel you should get that checked. My car releases control very easily. I usually hold the wheel more tightly going through curves in any event and if the car doesn't match my input AS will disengage itself. The car never has a chance to leave the lane as I'm holding it on track.

If it is difficult to disengage AS by taking control of the steering wheel you should get that checked. My car releases control very easily. I usually hold the wheel more tightly going through curves in any event and if the car doesn't match my input AS will disengage itself. The car never has a chance to leave the lane as I'm holding it on track.

If I had to guess, I suspect it is about a 1 or 2 lb resistance. I think it is OK. It is just that when you are a bit surprised, you may be caught a little off-guard. You also don't want to counter-act too violently or you will recoil into the barrier on the other side!!! You must clamp onto the wheel with a more firm grip than I do... I will also employ a tighter grip during such instances from now on. All part of the learning process (for both the driver and AP). As long as no one gets hurt or nothing gets damaged in the process, I am fine with it.

The nags are far more than a formality. Based on my experience, an AP2 car will violate the Second Law of Robotics, if not the First, in single-digit minutes if left on its own.

That said, I hate being warned when I'm actually fully attentive, with maybe my hand not resting heavily enough on the wheel. There are much better approaches: A camera tracking the driver's eyes would work well, thought there are obvious privacy issues to be overcome.