Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fwd again

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In my experience, the doors have been extremely cautious for the past 10 months. It does appear to have hit the lights, and I'm sure my door in the same situation would have stopped at least 1' before hitting those lights. I agree that it seems like it's ignoring the over-head sensors (something is wrong).

same location, without moving the car, just different time, it can open just a little or completly and hits the light. I have my car since febuary and only since last week that the FWD misbehaves like that. Service center said there is no error in the logs.

In my experience, the doors have been extremely cautious for the past 10 months. It does appear to have hit the lights, and I'm sure my door in the same situation would have stopped at least 1' before hitting those lights. I agree that it seems like it's ignoring the over-head sensors (something is wrong).
I think the overhead ultrasonic sensor is wrong too but just because the logs said there is no error, the problem is not the car but the user ?

With a ceiling that low I don't know why it would open that high. Did you close the door and re-open it immediately?

Has it always been opening this high?

I had experiences where if the door opened too low/little, I closed it and opened it up immediately again it would ignore the sensor and go wide open! Hence how I got my scratches.

...FWD randomly misbehaves...

It was not clear on the youtube whether any thing was hit.

I assume that it did hit the ceiling light's net protector?

If so, I think the sensor on top of your car's roof make a measurement up to the ceiling where the light is not there.

I assume, in order for the sensor to work properly, it must be directly below the light so a correct measurement would be made.

So the trick is to know where your top sensor is and make sure it measures a correct clearance as demonstrated by @Bjorn.

It was not clear on the youtube whether any thing was hit.

I assume that it did hit the ceiling light's net protector?

If so, I think the sensor on top of your car's roof make a measurement up to the ceiling where the light is not there.

I assume, in order for the sensor to work properly, it must be directly below the light so a correct measurement would be made.

So the trick is to know where your top sensor is and make sure it measures a correct clearance as demonstrated by @Bjorn.
Even if the sensor measures up to the ceiling where the light is missing, it should not have opened that high. That looks like a ~8ft ceiling (same as mine). If I don't set "Always open fully at this location" my doors open in umbrella mode. If I set it to "always open fully" it would only open up to about 80% or so, but never fully opened as shown unless overrode (which is actually possible to open fully with a 8ft ceiling), or bugged out like I described previously with a subsequent close/re-open.

I faced the same issue yesterday night (after the software update). My FWD didn't detect anything. So obstacle markers at all. It bumped into the roof. And when I tried opening it standing close to the doors, they rubbed against me to open fully.

Since today morning they have been working fine.

...it should not have opened that high...

The manual says:

"...you must monitor the movement of falcon wing doors to ensure the door's path of movement is free of obstacles, staying prepared at all times to proactively intervene to stop the door from contacting an object..."

It sounds like it shifts the responsibilty to owners which might explain Tesla's statement of "nothing wrong."

It was working properly until the last firmware update. Maybe just an coincidence. Normally, it never open that hight, now it just swing full open and hit the light net. Yes, i can stop the opening manually but the video is for demonstration : why it happens now and not before, and not always ?