Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FWD don't close on inclined driveway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up 2018 MX earlier this week (Vin 101xxx from May production line) and noticed that when I'm parking on a slightly inclined driveway, one of the FWD won't close all of the way (it's not always the same one). It stops a few inches from closing and says there's an obstruction. I am able to override it on the screen to close. This happens consistently whenever I'm parked at an incline, and they aren't even that steep!

Is this a common issue? Can it be fixed?

Is there a curve to the slope of your driveway? Has the message for "recalibrating" the door ever come up? I believe there is a paragraph or two in the manual about the FWDs. Several months ago we went through a short period where one or the other FWD wouldn't shut and the calibration message came up a time or two. Followed the instructions and then the problem went away. In a discussion with ST it was suggest that the X body does torque / twist a bit depending on surface parked on, not entirely flat. All part of learning how to make a rigid aluminum body/with framing materials that are a combination of aluminum and steel.
Different coefficients of expansion. Possible source of your problem.

The SC guys talked to me about this specific issue. I had some door damage from my FWD that I wanted them to look at. Their first question was whether or not I had closed the FWD on an incline. My answer was no, so they're still looking at doing minor adjustments, but they did say that it has a hard time closing the FWD properly on an incline.

Are you talking about this issue? I have it on my 2018 and not my 2016. Only happens on 1 side.

The SC guys talked to me about this specific issue. I had some door damage from my FWD that I wanted them to look at. Their first question was whether or not I had closed the FWD on an incline. My answer was no, so they're still looking at doing minor adjustments, but they did say that it has a hard time closing the FWD properly on an incline.
Only happens with my passenger side FWD.

• Informative
Reactions: TexasRat
Are you talking about this issue? I have it on my 2018 and not my 2016. Only happens on 1 side.

Only happens with my passenger side FWD.

YES! That is exactly what happens to mine, but it has happened on both doors (just not at the exact same time). It's just a few inches from closing, then stops. I did not notice it rubbing against the frame when I overwrote it to close, hopefully it wasn't doing any damage.

Is there a curve to the slope of your driveway? Has the message for "recalibrating" the door ever come up? I believe there is a paragraph or two in the manual about the FWDs. Several months ago we went through a short period where one or the other FWD wouldn't shut and the calibration message came up a time or two. Followed the instructions and then the problem went away. In a discussion with ST it was suggest that the X body does torque / twist a bit depending on surface parked on, not entirely flat. All part of learning how to make a rigid aluminum body/with framing materials that are a combination of aluminum and steel.
Different coefficients of expansion. Possible source of your problem.

No curve to the driveway, and no it did not prompt with a "recalibrating" message. It just said that there is an obstruction. When I called SC the person I spoke with had never heard of an issue like that.

YES! That is exactly what happens to mine, but it has happened on both doors (just not at the exact same time). It's just a few inches from closing, then stops. I did not notice it rubbing against the frame when I overwrote it to close, hopefully it wasn't doing any damage.

No curve to the driveway, and no it did not prompt with a "recalibrating" message. It just said that there is an obstruction. When I called SC the person I spoke with had never heard of an issue like that.
Yea I have concluded that it happens on an incline. I brought it in before and they replaced the pinch sensors. I didn’t realize it had to do with inclines so I just provided them the time stamps. It did not help at all. Next time I bring it in I’ll mention it, but for now I am ok with it because it’s more trouble than it’s worth to go to my local SC with no loaner.

Yea I have concluded that it happens on an incline. I brought it in before and they replaced the pinch sensors. I didn’t realize it had to do with inclines so I just provided them the time stamps. It did not help at all. Next time I bring it in I’ll mention it, but for now I am ok with it because it’s more trouble than it’s worth to go to my local SC with no loaner.

When I called to schedule my appointment, the SC thought it might need to be recalibrated. We’ll see what they say on Wednesday when I bring it in.

I picked up 2018 MX earlier this week (Vin 101xxx from May production line) and noticed that when I'm parking on a slightly inclined driveway, one of the FWD won't close all of the way (it's not always the same one). It stops a few inches from closing and says there's an obstruction. I am able to override it on the screen to close. This happens consistently whenever I'm parked at an incline, and they aren't even that steep!

Is this a common issue? Can it be fixed?

Picked up our new MX in June week 3. Left FWD seemed to have a slight alignment issue and I brought it up with the delivery people (who were in a rush to push us out). They took the car in to check and of course the delivery center mechanics said there is no problem.

Now that left FWD has had this "obstacle on incline" issue since day 1. It happens probably 3 out of 5 times. Just need to open / close again and it works.

Right FWD has had "squeaks" that come and go.

Have not taken it to service yet. Waiting for any other issues to show up or till the first tire rotation around ~6500 miles to take care of all the issues at once.

Oh! And the steering wheel is a bit crooked / misaligned to the left and the large screen randomly reboots probably once in 3 weeks. :)

No other issues as of now.

Picked up our new MX in June week 3. Left FWD seemed to have a slight alignment issue and I brought it up with the delivery people (who were in a rush to push us out). They took the car in to check and of course the delivery center mechanics said there is no problem.

Now that left FWD has had this "obstacle on incline" issue since day 1. It happens probably 3 out of 5 times. Just need to open / close again and it works.

Right FWD has had "squeaks" that come and go.

Have not taken it to service yet. Waiting for any other issues to show up or till the first tire rotation around ~6500 miles to take care of all the issues at once.

Oh! And the steering wheel is a bit crooked / misaligned to the left and the large screen randomly reboots probably once in 3 weeks. :)

No other issues as of now.
X has staggered wheels so they can’t be rotated, just FYI.

Reactions: Kacey Green