Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FWD door senses obstacle when nothing's there - solution, just drive.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

FlasherZ

Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv
Jun 21, 2012
Yesterday, I pulled up to my parents' house and the kids all got out. As I was showing Model X to them, the passenger FWD started to act strange, as if something were 12" from the door. It would set out only 8" from the body, then try to move up and stop. The touchscreen noted that an obstacle was present (clearly there was none). We moved the car into another location on the opposite side of the street, just to see if it was sensing something odd, but that didn't work. I knew it was a long shot, but I reset the MCU to no avail. Resigned to a future service center visit, we continued on our way toward the Blues game in St. Louis.

When we stopped for dinner, though, the car showed the obstruction was gone. Apparently, driving it a bit longer seemed to clear up the sensed obstruction (probably while needing the sensors for autopilot). Since then we've been using the doors a few times, and haven't had the issue come back. So if your car seems to be reporting something blocking the FWD's, driving may clear it up.

Yesterday, I pulled up to my parents' house and the kids all got out. As I was showing Model X to them, the passenger FWD started to act strange, as if something were 12" from the door. It would set out only 8" from the body, then try to move up and stop. The touchscreen noted that an obstacle was present (clearly there was none). We moved the car into another location on the opposite side of the street, just to see if it was sensing something odd, but that didn't work. I knew it was a long shot, but I reset the MCU to no avail. Resigned to a future service center visit, we continued on our way toward the Blues game in St. Louis.

When we stopped for dinner, though, the car showed the obstruction was gone. Apparently, driving it a bit longer seemed to clear up the sensed obstruction (probably while needing the sensors for autopilot). Since then we've been using the doors a few times, and haven't had the issue come back. So if your car seems to be reporting something blocking the FWD's, driving may clear it up.

I've had this issue intermittently and can not determine the circumstances why it occurs
I have an appointment with the service center to see if they can adjust the sensors...
New model growing pains in my opinion...

The FWD sensors are also used for the autopilot (like lane change)? First I have heard of this.

And didn't you also post a thread that your auto lane change is not working? The two do seem related.

The FWD sensors are also used for the autopilot (like lane change)? First I have heard of this.

And didn't you also post a thread that your auto lane change is not working? The two do seem related.

Yes, although it was closed with error code PEBSASW (problem exists between seat and steering wheel).

I don't know if the door sensors are used for that or not. Wild guess. Don't quote me on it. :)

I occasionally see the (( on the display indicating something (when nothing exists).

The Service Center has seen it as well and they are ordering new sensors for the falcon wing door (FWD).

Another anomaly is when the FWD heats up with direct sunlight and the FWD will not push out, only rise slightly. The Service Center thinks the sensor is pulling away from the inside when it is hot, so the sensor thinks something is next to the door. That is their idea, so take it with a grain of salt.

For others who may be concerned reading this, no problem. The FWD can be forced to open fully by holding the pillar control or holding the key fob center.

Another anomaly is when the FWD heats up with direct sunlight and the FWD will not push out, only rise slightly. The Service Center thinks the sensor is pulling away from the inside when it is hot, so the sensor thinks something is next to the door. That is their idea, so take it with a grain of salt.

In this case, there was direct sunlight on the door, but it was only 50 degrees out, so I can't say it was due to heat.

Last edited:
In this case, there was direct sunlight on the door, but it was only 50 degrees out, so I can't say it was due to heat.
The SC changed the FWD electronics module in each door, that hasn't helped the situation.

If heat is a factor, then a white Model X may operate its FWD more reliably than a Signature Red.

IMHO, this may be an ongoing issue until Model X vehicles exist that operate flawlessly. Then, whatever those vehicles have, I want the SC to install.

The SC changed the FWD electronics module in each door, that hasn't helped the situation.

If heat is a factor, then a white Model X may operate its FWD more reliably than a Signature Red.

IMHO, this may be an ongoing issue until Model X vehicles exist that operate flawlessly. Then, whatever those vehicles have, I want the SC to install.

Service center called me back this morning. They're going to run a case up the flagpole to pull logs and see if they can determine anything. I don't have enough data points to reach any conclusion at all at the moment, just an anecdote that I recall a bright sun shining on a beautiful door as I was trying to troubleshoot it. :)

So far, it has only occurred for me once, and the original obstruction was me. I'm wondering if the system did some kind of self-calibration at the wrong moment in time and just got "stuck" until I used autopilot.

Service center called me back this morning. They're going to run a case up the flagpole to pull logs and see if they can determine anything. I don't have enough data points to reach any conclusion at all at the moment, just an anecdote that I recall a bright sun shining on a beautiful door as I was trying to troubleshoot it. :)

So far, it has only occurred for me once, and the original obstruction was me. I'm wondering if the system did some kind of self-calibration at the wrong moment in time and just got "stuck" until I used autopilot.

Check & see if the doors don't work better after today's software update.