Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FWD dumps water on passenger when opened

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
looking through forums I'm seeing conflicting reports on this.

First heavy rain since we got the X a few months ago. I didn't see it, but my kids report that when they opened the door it dumped material amounts of water on their lap.

This can't be the intended design. Is something wrong w/ the X, or is the solution really to open the door part way, wait for it to drain, then open it the rest? That kinda sux. :/

This is not normal, we remain dry and drop free here in the rainiest part of the country. I have heard of cases like this and it usually involves a minor issue with the door gasket (sometime clogged and does not properly drain water away). Take it to an SC, should be an easy fix.

looking through forums I'm seeing conflicting reports on this.

First heavy rain since we got the X a few months ago. I didn't see it, but my kids report that when they opened the door it dumped material amounts of water on their lap.

This can't be the intended design. Is something wrong w/ the X, or is the solution really to open the door part way, wait for it to drain, then open it the rest? That kinda sux. :/
I had this on our September ‘17 X as well. Our local service center replaced the FWD door seals and have no problems since then (about six months).

It happens to my Model X as well. The precursor is that car needs to stay under the rain enough time to accumulate the water. if I drive during the rain and open FWD, it's fine.
Same situation here. Issue only happened for me when the X had been sitting out in the rain long enough to have accumulation.

I'd just share your experience, which is your problem, and they will fix it. I had the same issue. Actually on a mild day I hosed the car wet and kept opening and closing the door until I could find the point where the water channel was pinched. That's where the water run off would overflow and spill into the car.

Water on the outside of the door, when opened, will run down into the door jam and a channel or gutter made of the seal / weather stripping will carry it around the back of the door and out the bottom. Water ingress happens when that's not allowed to work as designed. It took my SC about a month to get the part in however, then a day to remove the factory installed seal and glue in the new seal. Sometimes they can alter the factory seal to remedy the issue. That door seal is one piece, so they just can't repair a part of it. The whole thing needs to come off and a new one put on.

Good luck, maybe they'll give you a P100D loaner like I got. Call all your friends and blow their minds....

Reactions: bmms8