Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FWD Ghost Obstruction - solved

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last week was pretty adventurous for me. Sharing this in case it helps someone else as I hadn't seen it reported previously.

Day 1: Weird message showed on the MCU screen saying that the Falcon Wing Doors needed calibration. Held down the close button on each door per instructions.
Day 2: Started having intermittent issues where both Falcon Wing Doors wouldn't open completely. They acted like there was an obstruction preventing them from opening all the way.
Day 3: FWD issues continued. Noticed on the MCU display that the Model X sensed a ghost obstruction above the vehicle continuously. FWD would open at all, or would only open a few inches. Called service, but next appointment was a week out.
Day 4: Goody. A software update was ready to install. Maybe that'll fix my problems. Triggered the software update to install in the morning as I arrived at work.

7.5 hours later, the software installation still hadn't completed. Doors would not unlock, and car was not responsive in the Tesla mobile app. Called Tesla roadside thinking the SW update failed and left the car in a bad state. They sent a tow truck after not being able to get the car to respond remotely. The tow truck driver diagnosed that the 12V battery was out, jumped the 12V battery and eventually got the car back alive.

I drove to the Tesla service center, and made it inside the garage just in time as the electronics powered down completely again. I waited while they swapped in a new battery under warranty.

Good news is that the deteriorating 12V battery caused all of the FWD issues as well! The tech evaluated the logs and the FWDs had been failing due to low voltage. The new 12V battery fixed all the probs and the car seems as good as new!

Edit: May 2017 build, so my 12V battery lasted about 16 months in the AZ heat. Had no previous warnings about the 12V battery needing replacement.