Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FWD Glass Replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So my wife opened one of the FWD into parking garage roof somehow today and broke the glass on one of the doors. Should I have expected the sensors to prevent this somehow? Do I have any argument that it should be covered under warranty as FWD malfunction?

Not overly expense at the service center - except for the fact that they don't have the glass in stock - and want to charge me $390 just to clean up the broken glass.

Thoughts/advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

I believe their are a few threads on this. Search is your friend, but ultimately it's your responsibility to make sure the door doesn't run into anything.

Curious how little is "not overly expensive" window replacement?

I believe their are a few threads on this. Search is your friend, but ultimately it's your responsibility to make sure the door doesn't run into anything.

I'm a potential Model X customer and this doesn't inspire confidence. It sounds like I will always need to be the first to get out of the Model X and manually open one FWD at a time to make sure it doesn't hit anything? Am I expected to leave the child locks on to prevent anyone from opening the FWD from the inside and possibly damaging the door?

Some ceiling in garages are like huge I-Beams on their side. The sensor might have seen the hollow but the glass was under where it was not. Or some sort of fixture was protruding downward. It's just parking sensors. They are not 100% on "narrow" items.

Like any door, as you use it more, you'll start to understand its limitation, how far it opens, etc.. Same for FWD, it'll be great when it rains and it's a shelter when you take your kids out of the car...not so great when you're in a very low garage with cross beams or under a low tree. Fortunately and unfortunately the MX has these FWD doors. Embrace it...I'd recommend reading more in the MX sections (w/ a grain of salt) and test driving it. Personally it's a love hate relationship, more love though:D

I'm a potential Model X customer and this doesn't inspire confidence. It sounds like I will always need to be the first to get out of the Model X and manually open one FWD at a time to make sure it doesn't hit anything? Am I expected to leave the child locks on to prevent anyone from opening the FWD from the inside and possibly damaging the door?

Sorry for derailing the thread. Put me in that group who loves the look and "utility" of the FWD, despite being not owning a Model X. I wished many times that my S had FWD whenever it rained and I had to deal with putting my baby in the car!

Found mine broken somehow while washing my car. Not sure if it’s due to a rock from driving or a defect.

$1216.81 quote for repair

Attachments

• 034F18C0-BC75-4AF8-BA6B-20A970BCDCD5.jpeg
    034F18C0-BC75-4AF8-BA6B-20A970BCDCD5.jpeg
    282.5 KB · Views: 185

But how do you do that exactly? Knowing it has sensors to detect it's surroundings you are putting faith into them to just stop short of anything, otherwise how exactly do you "stop" it from collision? I remember Elon going on and on about how great the FWD tech was, so why would they be exempt from damage caused by them? Do you not open the door or is there the option to just partially open them manually?

But how do you do that exactly? Knowing it has sensors to detect it's surroundings you are putting faith into them to just stop short of anything, otherwise how exactly do you "stop" it from collision? I remember Elon going on and on about how great the FWD tech was, so why would they be exempt from damage caused by them? Do you not open the door or is there the option to just partially open them manually?

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking, how do you do what? There are several ways to stop the FWD from continuing in whatever direction its going, the manual is your friend. You can use the FOB, override on the MCU or override on the rear buttons or as a last resort, use your hands (it'll sense your hand obstructing and stop, usually the quickest way). Regard "faith", it'll be up to you how much faith you have in the sensors. Again, as you use your own car more and more, you'll start to understand how it reacts to certain conditions. I personally think the FWD is amazing tech! But sensors are not infallible at this time. Just like blind spot sensors several years back (maybe even some now), most times they work very well, but if your not checking your shoulder before moving over, it'll still be your fault if you hit someone, not the sensor.

And yes you can manually adjust how far the door will open and can also set it to a lower height although not specific locations (corrected by @mswlogo). I hope this gives you a little guidance!

Last edited:
I'm not exactly sure what you're asking, how do you do what? There are several ways to stop the FWD from continuing in whatever direction its going, the manual is your friend. You can use the FOB, override on the MCU or override on the rear buttons or as a last resort, use your hands (it'll sense your hand obstructing and stop, usually the quickest way). Regard "faith", it'll be up to you how much faith you have in the sensors. Again, as you use your own car more and more, you'll start to understand how it reacts to certain conditions. I personally think the FWD is amazing tech! But sensors are not infallible at this time. Just like blind spot sensors several years back (maybe even now), most times they work very well, but if your not checking your shoulder before moving over, it'll still be your fault if you hit someone, not the sensor.

And yes you can manually adjust how far the door will open and can also set it to a lower height at a specific location. I hope this gives you a little guidance!

There is no location based save for a lower height. Only open full height can be saved by location. You can set the doors by default to be open lower (applies to all locations).

If I think there is any chance of FWD hitting anything I open from outside with door handle. If it’s gonna hit something you can physically stop it. Which I find the quickest way to do it.

Reactions: BulldogsRus
I'm not exactly sure what you're asking, how do you do what? There are several ways to stop the FWD from continuing in whatever direction its going, the manual is your friend. You can use the FOB, override on the MCU or override on the rear buttons or as a last resort, use your hands (it'll sense your hand obstructing and stop, usually the quickest way). Regard "faith", it'll be up to you how much faith you have in the sensors. Again, as you use your own car more and more, you'll start to understand how it reacts to certain conditions. I personally think the FWD is amazing tech! But sensors are not infallible at this time. Just like blind spot sensors several years back (maybe even some now), most times they work very well, but if your not checking your shoulder before moving over, it'll still be your fault if you hit someone, not the sensor.

And yes you can manually adjust how far the door will open and can also set it to a lower height although not specific locations (corrected by @mswlogo). I hope this gives you a little guidance!
I don't own an X hence my questions.

So what are you waiting for?

Jump in, the water is warm.

Kidding aside, I’ve owned my 2020 MX for less than 2 months and the door tech is pretty amazing considering what it does. There have been several times where I cringed and cried to myself, “oh no!!”, but it worked better than expected. I realize, of course, there may/will be scenarios where it gets damaged but I will be diligent to the best of my abilities and continue to love my car.