Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FWD handle fell off / was taken?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Haven't inspected the car myself. DW just texted me that she was parked at a TraderJoes for a short visit and came out to find we're missing the door handle on the driver side FWD. No other signs of damage or forced entry. Maybe it fell off while driving there and she didn't notice? (we have an interior trim piece that won't stay where it goes) Maybe someone was trying to break in? Maybe it's some kind of souvenir?

Anyone else had issues w/ the handles coming off??

missingHandle.jpg

I'm trying to find the thread with no luck. I think yes, not installed correctly at the factory. But then it will depend how long you have had the car. If I recall correctly it was a bend pin that make it not clip correctly. the OP could easily make the handle slide out of the socket.

Resolved. Posting for future owners who might have the same thing.

Went to the SC. Tech put a new on on and was going to send me on my way. I checked an X on the showroom floor and nope - on THAT car you cannot trivially slide the handles off, so clearly something was wrong w/ mine. Sales guy confirmed that no, it's not supposed to be like that. Mine were missing some kind of retaining clip or something. So...tech took it back and resolved it. Both side now do not slide off.

It's troubling that this sort of thing (incorrectly assembled bits) seems to be fairly common, but at least this one was on a non-essential item and they fixed it while I drank the free coffee.