Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FWD is opened during drive on freeway.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

Apologies first for my broken level of English.
I'm the brand new 2023 model X LR owner since last year Nov.

Last Saturday ( Jan 8), I had a scariest accident (kind of) among my 20yrs of driving experience.
The left FWD is opend up while driving on the local freeway.

I took the brake immediately and also able to immediately close FWD. Thanks fully speed is very slow ( I remember 10mph around )
My 5yrd son was there, and I was shout him (yup, bad father) bcz I thought he was accidently pushed the opend button.
But I quickly reallized that it should not be opend during drive and also he said he wasnt pressued the button.

I've been thoght several other ways to do that, like maybe because child lock was deactivated?
or maybe my apple watch app (Watchla) was somehow working incorrecly? maybe my son was lied?
That all ends up with conclusion - FWD should not open during drive anyway.

I love my model X along with FSD, but this isn't an issue I can ignore for our family and other's safety.
I'm trying to collect evidence of the issue (whitness, data log somewhere in the car computer?), before start some actions, but TBH very difficult to collect that infos.
However, probably get a log on internal computer with Tesla team's help is reallistic option I see now.

I saw very similar story from Reddit (https://www.reddit.com/r/teslamotors/comments/6giiao/my_model_x_90d_driver_side_falcon_door_opened_on/)
But it's 6 years ago, so would like to hear if you guys have similar experience like this recently.
Also suggestions to figure out this issue? I already left msg on Tesla app's regular service service, but want to do some more serious actions. Maybe contact to laywer?

Thanks,

• Informative
  • Disagree
Reactions: JPWX and henderrj
Hi,

Apologies first for my broken level of English.
I'm the brand new 2023 model X LR owner since last year Nov.

Last Saturday ( Jan 8), I had a scariest accident (kind of) among my 20yrs of driving experience.
The left FWD is opend up while driving on the local freeway.

I took the brake immediately and also able to immediately close FWD. Thanks fully speed is very slow ( I remember 10mph around )
My 5yrd son was there, and I was shout him (yup, bad father) bcz I thought he was accidently pushed the opend button.
But I quickly reallized that it should not be opend during drive and also he said he wasnt pressued the button.

I've been thoght several other ways to do that, like maybe because child lock was deactivated?
or maybe my apple watch app (Watchla) was somehow working incorrecly? maybe my son was lied?
That all ends up with conclusion - FWD should not open during drive anyway.

I love my model X along with FSD, but this isn't an issue I can ignore for our family and other's safety.
I'm trying to collect evidence of the issue (whitness, data log somewhere in the car computer?), before start some actions, but TBH very difficult to collect that infos.
However, probably get a log on internal computer with Tesla team's help is reallistic option I see now.

I saw very similar story from Reddit (https://www.reddit.com/r/teslamotors/comments/6giiao/my_model_x_90d_driver_side_falcon_door_opened_on/)
But it's 6 years ago, so would like to hear if you guys have similar experience like this recently.
Also suggestions to figure out this issue? I already left msg on Tesla app's regular service service, but want to do some more serious actions. Maybe contact to laywer?

Thanks,
I believe you can open any of the doors at very slow speeds. I am guessing the details are in the owners manual, but I haven’t looked. And no, I am not willing to try it myself. :cool:

If you can't ignore it, sell the car. I mean it seems odd to go through all the trouble to collect evidence and take action. Just get rid of it. It seems odd it would open, but if it did, I bet it would be some sort of mechanical latch problem.

Reactions: jboy210
I believe you can open any of the doors at very slow speeds. I am guessing the details are in the owners manual, but I haven’t looked. And no, I am not willing to try it myself. :cool:
I also think this is true. But I thought you had to override a setting on the car to do this. I have heard of people in parades having their FWDs open. I think @ohmman wrote about this once.

Last edited:
Thanks for the all the infos and suggestions! I'll keep update how it goes.
@DCGOO I checked model x user manual and can't find that.
@shingles yeah that might be better choice. I'm thinking that defer ecision to sell for now untill Tesla team figure it out.
@Tz00 I made a service ticket to investigate the issue.

Note that the agent said they can't provide vehicle datas but I figured there's offical route to request a data like below.
- Go to www.tesla.com/contactus Use the drop-down menu to select 'Data Privacy Request.
' Specify the time range for which you would like to request your data. Click 'Submit.

I'm surprised the button still works at speed since I've tried (just to see) if my Hansshow frunk setup would open at speed and it didn't. At minimum I'd turn on the child locks on the screen since that should disable the button, parked or not.

Thanks for the all the infos and suggestions! I'll keep update how it goes.
@DCGOO I checked model x user manual and can't find that.
@shingles yeah that might be better choice. I'm thinking that defer ecision to sell for now untill Tesla team figure it out.
@Tz00 I made a service ticket to investigate the issue.

Note that the agent said they can't provide vehicle datas but I figured there's offical route to request a data like below.
- Go to www.tesla.com/contactus Use the drop-down menu to select 'Data Privacy Request.
' Specify the time range for which you would like to request your data. Click 'Submit.

Did you buy any chance save the dash cam video? I'd really like to see that.

I'm still waiting tesla's feedback, but I recieved request vehicle data (it's huge .cvs file).
Below is filtered / chronogical orderd information.

2023-01-07 20:56:03.967 Vehicle Speed 0.395kph
2023-01-07 20:56:04.967 Vehicle Speed 0kph
2023-01-07 20:56:06.775 LOCK_REQUEST_PASSIVE_INTERNAL_HANDLE_UNLOCK, 3.0
2023-01-07 20:56:07.005 DOOR_REQUEST_INPUT_BPILLAR_BUTTONS, 4.0 INTERIOR_RELEASE_NOT_PRESSED, 0.0
2023-01-07 20:56:07.027 LOCK_REQUEST_PASSIVE_BLE_INTERIOR_HANDLE_UNLOCK, 8.0
2023-01-07 20:56:07.067 DOOR_STATE_RELEASING_LATCH, 3.0
2023-01-07 20:56:07.467 DOOR_STATE_AJAR, 5.0
2023-01-07 20:56:07.867 DOOR_STATE_OPEN, 4.0
2023-01-07 20:56:09.861 DOOR_REQUEST_INPUT_VCSEC_REQUEST, 14.0
2023-01-07 20:56:11.261 DOOR_REQUEST_INPUT_MCU_REQUEST, 5.0
2023-01-07 20:56:16.267 DOOR_STATE_CLOSED, 1.0
2023-01-07 20:56:16.406 Vehicle Speed 0.07kph
2023-01-07 20:56:22.261 DOOR_REQUEST_INPUT_UNDEFINED, 13.0

From the data, possible scenario is, while I reach to 0kph (it was on the LA's traffic), my son pressed FWD open button with his toe coincidently.
Still it's mystery how he "precisely" pressed the button with the toe, because 1 he doesn't wear shoes 2 he was watched youtube via rear sceen 3 he has to be intentionally strech his leg to contact the button.

I'm still waiting tesla's feedback, but I recieved request vehicle data (it's huge .cvs file).
Below is filtered / chronogical orderd information.

2023-01-07 20:56:03.967 Vehicle Speed 0.395kph
2023-01-07 20:56:04.967 Vehicle Speed 0kph
2023-01-07 20:56:06.775 LOCK_REQUEST_PASSIVE_INTERNAL_HANDLE_UNLOCK, 3.0
2023-01-07 20:56:07.005 DOOR_REQUEST_INPUT_BPILLAR_BUTTONS, 4.0 INTERIOR_RELEASE_NOT_PRESSED, 0.0
2023-01-07 20:56:07.027 LOCK_REQUEST_PASSIVE_BLE_INTERIOR_HANDLE_UNLOCK, 8.0
2023-01-07 20:56:07.067 DOOR_STATE_RELEASING_LATCH, 3.0
2023-01-07 20:56:07.467 DOOR_STATE_AJAR, 5.0
2023-01-07 20:56:07.867 DOOR_STATE_OPEN, 4.0
2023-01-07 20:56:09.861 DOOR_REQUEST_INPUT_VCSEC_REQUEST, 14.0
2023-01-07 20:56:11.261 DOOR_REQUEST_INPUT_MCU_REQUEST, 5.0
2023-01-07 20:56:16.267 DOOR_STATE_CLOSED, 1.0
2023-01-07 20:56:16.406 Vehicle Speed 0.07kph
2023-01-07 20:56:22.261 DOOR_REQUEST_INPUT_UNDEFINED, 13.0

From the data, possible scenario is, while I reach to 0kph (it was on the LA's traffic), my son pressed FWD open button with his toe coincidently.
Still it's mystery how he "precisely" pressed the button with the toe, because 1 he doesn't wear shoes 2 he was watched youtube via rear sceen 3 he has to be intentionally strech his leg to contact the button.

Tesla sent you logs??

I'm surprised the button still works at speed since I've tried (just to see) if my Hansshow frunk setup would open at speed and it didn't. At minimum I'd turn on the child locks on the screen since that should disable the button, parked or not.
It was not at speed.

"Thanks fully speed is very slow ( I remember 10mph around )"

Sounds like this was stop and go traffic.

One time I was coming out of Costco and tried to use the Stats app via my Apple Watch to open the truck on my 2020 MXLR (I have it set to "Aloha Mora"). For some reason, it didn't work. About 5 minutes later, I was driving home, and the truck opened as I was pulling up to a red light. Scary, especially the back was full of groceries.

Is this the key fob?

LOCK_REQUEST_PASSIVE_BLE_INTERIOR_HANDLE_UNLOCK, 8.0

We did have an experience in our first 2017 Model X where the battery on the key fob started dying and it kept sending a FWDS open command during driving. Only diagnosed it by removing the battery and it stopped. That was after blaming my daughter for pushing the button at highway speeds. Poor kid, gets blamed for everything!

I have emphasized a part of the logs from your quote just above. I think the response above mine sounds more feasible, and I really doubt it's that feasible, either (because their 2017 fob wasn't BLE and that isn't a widespread problem amongst similar devices, much less different ones). Far more likely a "pocket dial" on the app or shifting pocket/purse with a fob in it actually clicking the physical button twice was the culprit.

I have emphasized a part of the logs from your quote just above. I think the response above mine sounds more feasible, and I really doubt it's that feasible, either (because their 2017 fob wasn't BLE and that isn't a widespread problem amongst similar devices, much less different ones). Far more likely a "pocket dial" on the app or shifting pocket/purse with a fob in it actually clicking the physical button twice was the culprit.
I have experienced some phantom pushes on the fob while walking or driving. I put a fob cover on which makes it harder to accidentally press the buttons.

Reactions: focher