TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

FWD issue

Discussion in 'Model X' started by outie, Jul 15, 2018.

1. outie

outie Active Member

#1 outie, Jul 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
    For those of you who may recognize me with my FWD issue with heat on my 2016 X... my new replacement vehicle seems to have a different but related problem.

It’s about 93F outside. I am not able to open my driver side FWD. My previous car would show obstacle detected on the side of the FWD. Now my new car has this similar issue, except I can’t even override it and it shows obstacle is detected on top of the FWD. As you can see the top sensor is ok because I have no issue opening the other side.

0EEC6E70-D8FC-4057-BB0A-FC7F8F83A94A.jpeg

I don’t know if this heat related yet but it’s the first time my car sits out in the heat this long since delivery.

This driver side door had issue before where if it’s opened it won’t let me close it, occasionally. I timestamped everything and had the SC checked it out and they replaced the pinch sensor. I don’t know if they screwed up something and caused this new issue.

My passenger side also had an issue where it’s closed to 90% and stuck showing obstacle detected every once in a while. My SC was supposed to have fixed it as well last time, also replacing the pinch sensor. Looks like the fault is still here as it just happened again today. This is an annoying issue as it might pop back open little bit after closing to 90% so I have to double check before I walk away.

This is a March 2018 vehicle in white. I am really getting frustrated not only because of these repeated issues, it’s also not being able to get Model X loaner (or even any Tesla) any more at my local SC. Sorry about the rant but I just have to share my issues.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  2. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

I was at my home in Indian Wells last weekend had similar issue but was able to override from screen ..I also have white :oops:....temps around 117

• Informative x 1
  3. outie

outie Active Member

#3 outie, Jul 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
    Yea I mean it’s not even that hot compared to some other states. It’s frustrating because it won’t let me override it. I press and hold it and it won’t do anything. I can close it back. I’ve tried 10 times or so it will only open 1 inch every time. My toddler was just sitting there looking at her stupid father trying to open the damn door so she can get unbuckled and gtfo.

Before anyone suggest “just use the other side”. Thanks but that’s not the point.

4. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

I just tried again ..not as hot today it’s 106 ...even though this location I’m at is set to full open ..I get ~90% ..than I override ..I also have a 2018 build

5. outie

outie Active Member

For anyone who cares, I've came up with some conclusion why these 2 issues occurred.

When the car is on a tilted road, and in my case tilted right, the driver FWD would have problem opening. If I give it a little lift with my hand while it's opening, it will open. I have not tested the other side to replicate it.

As for the other issue closing the passenger FWD door, it seems to happen when the car is on an incline/ramp. See video below.

• Informative x 1
  6. Kacey Green

Kacey Green Member

Charleston, South Carolina, United States
    Looks like it's hitting the pinch sensors or seeing too much torque at the end of the motion