Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FWD issues on late AP1 cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, all... and thank you for this rich resource of information. I'm looking hard at some pre-owned MXs, and trying to get a sense of whether (or not) there might be a "sweet spot" on the production timeline: AP1 equipped cars that were built recently enough to have incorporated significant FWD manufacturing or assembly improvements.

Searching provides many threads on each component topic, but it's hard to coordinate matched info with dates of production...

Any thoughts on this? AP1 is my preference, due to its current functionality and the age of the cars that I'm looking at.

Thanks in advance,

Rich

Have an X90D from 9/16. One time at service for tire puncture and repair, the sensor didn't pass inspection, but doors seemed fine to me. They kept the car and fixed them. I got to keep the P885D loaner for a few more days, yay! Other than that during every day use never had any real or reproducible FWD sensor problems. Doors will stop if you stand in front of them. If you put your fingers in the door as they close it will be a problem as it is with any door for any car, minivan or house.

I have a P90D built in mid 2016. I've had issues with the door not opening and phantom objects with the driver's side FWD. door has been re-calibrated a few times. I performed a reset of the door as well. SC suggested that 17.26.92 may fix the issue. I Haven't seen the phantom object issue since the update.

....If you put your fingers in the door as they close it will be a problem as it is with any door for any car, minivan or house.

Funny story: a few years ago my neighbor Ed tried to stop the automated rear hatch of his Acura MDX from closing; he figured he could quickly lift up on the hatch as it closed and it'd reverse its direction. I'm out back of my own house and I keep hearing this moderately loud "hey" from somewhere nearby... like once every 15 seconds or so. I walk out front and there's Ed, with multiple fingers from both hands stuck in the now-closed hatch. He was in some significant discomfort, but too embarrassed to let out a full-effort yell for help.

The switch on the hatch didn't work, so I had to get the key fob out of his pocket (I know: do we now question Ed's sincerity?) and release him from the jaws of his SUV.

And ever since then, I've called it his Attackura ;-)

But back on-topic. Thanks for the responses.

Hi, all... and thank you for this rich resource of information. I'm looking hard at some pre-owned MXs, and trying to get a sense of whether (or not) there might be a "sweet spot" on the production timeline: AP1 equipped cars that were built recently enough to have incorporated significant FWD manufacturing or assembly improvements. ......snip........
improvements? Our FWD's grunt & groan while opening, the molding on the window needs to be replaced (when ever it finally gets here) on driver's side - keeps coming loose, the windows clunk when they're fully bottomed opened, as well as they squeal going up. Other than the molding, we're just living with it, as we're almost as tired of taking it back in for that, as we are for the side view mirrors operating flaky. Between that, and the SC's being throttled? SOOO glad it's only leased, and we'd expected as much, after reading up / hearing about these things.
btw, ours is a March 2017 model. Wish we'd have kept the S, but it's not my daily driver .... that privilege belongs to "she-who-must-be-obeyed"
We're still waiting or the improvements .... But hey !!! I'm sure you'll be fine . . . . !
:p

Last edited: