Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FWD meets sprinkler pipe

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So the (same as closing) switch can be used to override a sensor-stopped falcon wing and it will open the full way?

That seems like a troublesome design decision to me.
The ring has to be held out to continue opening the door. It also opens much more slowly. One pull will not complete the swing. There is also an audible alert that override is occurring.

Unfortunately, although I can master the the rear switches for the falcon wing doors (because Ive watched countless space films and have certain pilot certifications) , almost all of our passengers from all backgrounds struggle with using them to open or close the doors. I've had friends pressing very hard on the air vents instead of these switches actually... It's a shame. I'm glad you shared this experience as I will try to teach passengers how to utilize them before our trips, however... my mother in law stayed with us for 3 weeks... she still had trouble in week 3...

Need to be saved for posterity.

A simple and commonly used gadget, has now come become a complicated contraption. Sure you can you load your kids better - I get that.

So, almost all underground parking lots have overhead pipes. Does this mean that I should avoid them altogether? I'm not sure if the door sensors can detect these pipes.
In my experience, if the car knows it's in a garage via Google Maps, the FWD will automatically open only about half way. That said, I'm always standing next to the door when it opens so I can manually stop it if it tries to open too far.

In my experience, if the car knows it's in a garage via Google Maps, the FWD will automatically open only about half way. That said, I'm always standing next to the door when it opens so I can manually stop it if it tries to open too far.

That's exactly what I'm doing. But don't you think this makes the FWD design impractical as you constantly have to watch them?

But don't you think this makes the FWD design impractical as you constantly have to watch them?

Absolutely. I still can't understand how Tesla approved these doors without them having the foolproof ability to not hit things (both when opening and closing). If I could replace my falcon wing doors with normal doors, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Hopefully the Model Y will do that, because otherwise my next car will be the Audi EV when it's released.

Absolutely. I still can't understand how Tesla approved these doors without them having the foolproof ability to not hit things (both when opening and closing). If I could replace my falcon wing doors with normal doors, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Hopefully the Model Y will do that, because otherwise my next car will be the Audi EV when it's released.
Really? Tesla is all about ensuring that the hardware is solid and not worrying too much about the software, since that can be fixed with an OTA. They can't find all issues or think up of all scenarios at launch, so they'll do their best and improve it over time. For example:
- changing behavior of spoiler to auto-retract when trunk hatch is opened
- adding AutoPilot 1.0 software a year after the hardware was released
- adding AP2.0 software 6 months after hardware was released
- Removing passenger door closing on brake press
- Adding passenger door opening from FOB

Tesla is all about ensuring that the hardware is solid and not worrying too much about the software, since that can be fixed with an OTA.

Sure, after numerous people have beta tested the doors by hitting ceilings, pipes, signposts, etc. then Tesla can use that data to update the software. Sounds practical to me... not! And that doesn't do much good when you discover there's no way to add a hardware sensor via OTA to the inside of the door so it doesn't clock people standing under it when it closes. These are all scenarios Tesla could have predicted, and yet did somehow got caught by surprise by these issues while rushing to get the car to market.