Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FWD opening height

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm new to the Model X. Picked up a 2018 P100D and am loving it.
Tonight I parked in an outside parking lot next to another car. There was enough room so I opened the FWD. It opened fine (plenty of lateral room and no ceiling) but only went up maybe 3/4 of the way.

It opens fully with nothing next to the car.

I assumed that if it had ample lateral space and nothing above it would open full height every time.

Thoughts?

Mark

Even though there is actually sufficient room for the FWD to open, it will always open conservatively. The owner/driver can then manually open the door fully, if needed, by pulling the lever on the B pillar. After several iterations this was the final software resolution after many early users didn't see poles, ceiling beams, bushes and other obstructions causing damage. Tesla increased the sensitivity of the FWD sensors and restricted the full-opening. It is now the Owners responsibility to open fully in tighter areas and also to accept responsibility for any damage opening the door manually.

• Helpful
Reactions: brkaus
Thanks Aljohn!
Can you elaborate on what exactly this means: "pulling the lever on the B pillar"

This would make more sense to me if it DIDN'T open up to full height with no car next to it. It seems to only limit the height if there is a car parked next to it.

I'll make it work either way! :)

Thanks Aljohn!
Can you elaborate on what exactly this means: "pulling the lever on the B pillar"

This would make more sense to me if it DIDN'T open up to full height with no car next to it. It seems to only limit the height if there is a car parked next to it.

This means Aljohn has a first generation FWD switch while you have a second or third generation. Where he pulls on a lever, you push the top of your button. So, to open to full height, you can press the open button on the screen a second time to go to full height or push the physical open button (apparently? I haven't done this). When it is full height, you can choose "always open fully at this location" on the MCU to make it do that consistently based on GPS (but it still stops for really significant obstacles). However, even if you don't do that, I believe you will sometimes see them open all the way, too (regardless of whether you are parked near another vehicle), and likely there was some phantom obstacle in this case.

ETA: This assumes it isn't still detecting a (phantom) obstacle. If it is, you have to hold the button on the MCU (or the physical open button). Then it will beep fairly loudly and slowly open as you continue to hold. If you can't do that, you may have a sensor problem that would require a service center visit, but you can still physically open the doors further assuming you have the strength to do so (at least I did that for a long time before I got my sensors fixed and never noticed any ill side effects from it).

Thanks Aljohn!

The B Pillar (between the front and FWD) has a lever used to open and close the FWD. If you pull (up/out) one time and release the door will attempt to open fully. If you pull and hold when you release the lever the door will stop with a warning "beep". If uncertain of the space available, I would recommend pulling and holding and releasing to ensure sufficient distance.

All Model X's were upgraded on the center screen to set the opening of the FWD to set to open full in this location or open the doors from the center screen. I use the B pillar to watch the door in close quarters. It is not as easy to see when facing the screen. Be very cautious setting Open Fully in This Location. If you do so in your driveway, the GPS position may not be sufficiently different in your Garage. It is not uncommon for the FWD to open partially in the driveway, since the GPS of the Garage is close. As a safety feature, Tesla limits the opening after previously sensing a restricted area.

Last edited: