TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

FWD paint vs. rest of the car

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Yoonoo, Aug 8, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Yoonoo

Yoonoo Member

Anyone knows if the falcon wing doors are painted at the same time as the rest of the car body. Under some lighting conditions, the white on my driver side rear quarter panel appears to be slightly different from the FWD. I know that the pearl white is unforgiving and can look totally different if sprayed at a different angle or environmental conditions. But if the entire car is painted at the same time, in the same booth this shouldn't happen.

The white on the bumpers appears to be quite different too, but that's more understandable since those parts I believe come pre-painted from the supplier.

Attached Files:

2. kev1n

kev1n Member

bumpers can be off color because its a different material.

not sure on the doors but i wouldnt be surprised if they are painted separately and assembled

pearl white is a hard color to match perfectly, if i look close enough, all the panels on my car is a different white

• Like x 1
  3. TOBASH

TOBASH Member

find out if at any point your car required touchup and repainting prior to delivery.

• Like x 1
  4. Yoonoo

Yoonoo Member

Went back and checked some of the older pictures. Looks worse than I thought. Problem is, getting this fixed may end-up looking even worse or introduce new problems, so I'm tempted to just leave it as is.

FullSizeRender-(4).jpg

5. outie

outie Active Member

My midnight silver is also like that. It almost looked like the FWD was repainted when inside my garage. Otherwise it's not that noticeable.

• Like x 1
  6. HappyHappy

HappyHappy Member

I believe in the factory tour, they mentioned it being painted at the same time and matched with a specific car. That said, my memory sucks.

7. dragonxt

dragonxt Active Member

Haha, well now I'm going to notice this every time I approach my car.

If you trust your local Service Center, I'd get that fixed.

I know where I live, the service center will redo their work until I'm satisfied.

8. rainforest

rainforest Member

That looks like the panel was repainted. Definitely not right, but pearl would be hard to match even if you repainted it.

• Like x 2
  9. kev1n

kev1n Member

generally speaking, as long as it looks ok from 5 feet away. i think that is acceptable.

if you really are inclined, you can try to buff the more yellow side to try to get a better match but i wouldnt waste effort trying to repaint the panel.

10. skilly

skilly Member

just did the tour. Everything is painted at once. they are separated from the car during the build but follow the car through the factory back to reassembly - each set of doors being married to a specific car.

• Informative x 1
  11. rainforest

rainforest Member

Check out this flaw I noticed after 4 months. Paint isn't even on the top of my FWD.

Quality control still needs work....

IMG_2246.JPG

• Informative x 1
  12. shokunin

shokunin P85 & S40

Do you have Paint Protection Film (PPF) on the falcon wing doors but not on the rear quarter panel? PPF is not perfectly clear and can alter the shade when the film is applied, especially on white.

13. rainforest

rainforest Member

No. PPF only on the front.