Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FWD paint vs. rest of the car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone knows if the falcon wing doors are painted at the same time as the rest of the car body. Under some lighting conditions, the white on my driver side rear quarter panel appears to be slightly different from the FWD. I know that the pearl white is unforgiving and can look totally different if sprayed at a different angle or environmental conditions. But if the entire car is painted at the same time, in the same booth this shouldn't happen.

The white on the bumpers appears to be quite different too, but that's more understandable since those parts I believe come pre-painted from the supplier.

Attachments

• IMG-7059.JPG
    IMG-7059.JPG
    241.6 KB · Views: 95
bumpers can be off color because its a different material.

not sure on the doors but i wouldnt be surprised if they are painted separately and assembled

pearl white is a hard color to match perfectly, if i look close enough, all the panels on my car is a different white

Reactions: Yoonoo
Haha, well now I'm going to notice this every time I approach my car.

If you trust your local Service Center, I'd get that fixed.

I know where I live, the service center will redo their work until I'm satisfied.

Went back and checked some of the older pictures. Looks worse than I thought. Problem is, getting this fixed may end-up looking even worse or introduce new problems, so I'm tempted to just leave it as is.

View attachment 240475

generally speaking, as long as it looks ok from 5 feet away. i think that is acceptable.

if you really are inclined, you can try to buff the more yellow side to try to get a better match but i wouldnt waste effort trying to repaint the panel.

Just an update on this issue. Tesla has offered to take the car to a certified body shop to have them repaint the quarter panel, however they said that this would only work if they blend the paint with adjacent panels (FWD). I was really hoping to avoid painting other panels, but it looks like there's no way around that.

At this point I'm torn between leaving it as-is or having them go ahead with the repaint and risk the color coming out worse as well as the possibility of FWD sensor issues due to the new paint.

Isn’t there something about the paint thickness on the FWD that’s critical due to the sensors in the doors? One of the reasons Tesla didn’t recommend adding PPF to the FWDs? Just wondering if ‘blending’ (adding paint to) the FWDs will impact the sensors? And isn’t that White a 3 stage paint, requiring 3 coats? Just wondering if adding thickness to the surface will cause any issues.