Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FWD put a hole in my garage drywall after upgrading to V9

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
9879C0EB-EA49-4526-A0F9-04CD2177C06F.jpeg
4612A173-6762-4183-8F74-1CE9B896AC2F.jpeg
4CB7973A-A9DE-4ABC-A276-63A995B13BBD.jpeg
I had a feeling that the FWD sensors either stopped working (a bug in V9) or were made more “confident” with V9.
The FWD never opened to full height previously since it would sense the garage motor (although it could). After v9, I saw that it started opening with full speed and to the full height.
I didn’t know if this was a bug or not and tried opening the other FWD near the wall and it seemed to open all the way too (never happened before). It stopped only after hitting a foam noodle I’ve tied around the garage railing above.
I was almost certain at this point that the sensors were not working or a bug in V9 must have disabled them.
Closed the door and bam...it tore my drywall on the way down and got stuck.
On with Tesla support for almost and hour now and still waiting in line. Not a good way to start the weekend.

True that the drywall repair is inexpensive. I am just irritated that I have to repair the drywall due to a bug in the car and repaint that section .
Anyways, about the car - no damage as far as I can tell .the bottom plastic part of the FWD is what tore through the drywall and it looks fine...just some powdered drywall on it which I have to wipe out.

FWIW, I park in a tight garage and my FWD are working fine in V9. It does sound like you're having sensor issues, and it's really odd that both doors would have similar failures at the same time, but it's possible something more central failed that isn't related to the update.

Then it sounds to me like the FWD operated as expected. It stopped before any series damage resulted. I am guessing that something as soft as drywall is, is invisible to the proximity sensors. Therefore the system faulted when it ran into resistance. Lucky it did not twisted up the FWD.

I love Tesla as much as the next guy, but this apologist mentality is ridiculous. A door automatically opening with enough force to puncture drywall is in no way operating "as expected" - it's most definitely a bug with the software or a fault with the hardware. The fact that this suddenly happened after upgrading to V9 makes it likely to be a software issue.

View attachment 343331View attachment 343332View attachment 343333 I had a feeling that the FWD sensors either stopped working (a bug in V9) or were made more “confident” with V9.
The FWD never opened to full height previously since it would sense the garage motor (although it could). After v9, I saw that it started opening with full speed and to the full height.
I didn’t know if this was a bug or not and tried opening the other FWD near the wall and it seemed to open all the way too (never happened before). It stopped only after hitting a foam noodle I’ve tied around the garage railing above.
I was almost certain at this point that the sensors were not working or a bug in V9 must have disabled them.
Closed the door and bam...it tore my drywall on the way down and got stuck.
On with Tesla support for almost and hour now and still waiting in line. Not a good way to start the weekend.
I do not think there are sensors that detect the down motion, only up. But, I would have thought the door would have followed the same motion path it traveled in the up direction. In the mean time until they figure out the problem, I would manually set the FWD height to half for your location.

I do not think there are sensors that detect the down motion, only up. But, I would have thought the door would have followed the same motion path it traveled in the up direction. In the mean time until they figure out the problem, I would manually set the FWD height to half for your location.
As a FYI, they've added sensor inside the speaker to detect down motion (sort of). If one stands below the FWD it will not close on you any longer. This happened as early as Feb 2018 or earlier.

Or just move over slightly. The open path depends on what is near the vehicle. The close path can be wildly different. Just because there was no interference on the way up, does not mean there will be none going down. I have been bonked on my head, fairly hard when granddaughter decided to close it on me. It stopped, but not before it hit me.

• Informative
Reactions: ModlS3XY
My front door has opened into the wall of my garage twice in the last day, and I've probably caught it from doing so on other occasions as well. I believe they use the same sensors as the falcon wing doors to determine how wide they can safely open. It's possible v9 has reduced the sensitivity when it comes to drywall.

Was the X parked on an angle? I had my fwd hit the drywall of my garage once too cause it was parked on an angle. Never happened when parked straight
Yes, but I've always parked at an angle and never had an issue before.
In fact, a couple of days after this incident, the FWDs started working fine...as in they started sensing the obstacles. My MX is with Tesla SC now.
Will post an update here once I get it back.

I hadn’t noticed this with V9, but I do think the OP is right - the doors seem to open “faster” when they are in cautious mode.

Mine still stopped about the same height as before in my garage (before the railings) but they arrived at that partial open state more quickly. Could be confirmation bias of course, but I think they are a bit quicker.

Hope Tesla fixes your door though!