TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

FWD revisited: Worth it?

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by apacheguy, Apr 19, 2016.

?

I own an X and I think the Falcon Wing Doors

1. Were an excellent design choice

82.4%
  2. Could do without them

17.6%
  3. Are a pain in the butt

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. apacheguy

apacheguy Sig 255, VIN 320

Just curious now that we've seen a bunch of issues crop up with the FWD on the Model X. Please only answer if you have had your MX for at least 1 week.

2. Roentgen

Roentgen Member

Received mine 3/30. FWD have been flawless so far!

Super easy to get my kids out of the middle row. Much more convenient than a conventional car. More convenient than a minivan? I'll never know.

• Like x 2
  3. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

Where's the selection for "Are not assessable by a self selecting enthusiast forum survey"?

;)

4. apacheguy

apacheguy Sig 255, VIN 320

LOL. So we should never have polls on TMC because we can never do anything informally. We have to enlist the services of an expert polling agency if we want results.

BTW, 100% say excellent design choice. But, I guess we can't put any stock in that...

5. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

I didn't respond. So no, we can't. ;)

6. Mark Z

Mark Z Active Member

When the right FWD fails to close a week after spending a week at the service center, I could do without them.

I see the problem. The lower portion of the seals next to the body of the vehicle are flattened. The computer thinks something is in the way. When I squeeze the seal to it's normal rounder shape, the door will close in a single cycle. Once the seal is flattened again, the door needs multiple presses of the red button to close. What did take one button press, now it takes multiple button presses as the seals flatten more.

Perhaps there needs to be an adjustable bumper like on the rear hatch that stops the door yet keeps the seals in their original shape.

• Informative x 1
  7. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

A sunshade would have been a better option for Tesla to focus on. I would prefer a sunshade over the FWD, I am sure the sunshade would draw a crowd as well

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1