Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FWD Sensor issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A couple days ago my passenger side FWD sensor started acting up. Now there is a permanent obstacle detected on the screen. It even follows the door up when opening. The driver door and FWD barely open now because it thinks there is an obstacle no matter where I am. Do I need the sensor replaced? Has anyone else experienced this?

A couple days ago my passenger side FWD sensor started acting up. Now there is a permanent obstacle detected on the screen. It even follows the door up when opening. The driver door and FWD barely open now because it thinks there is an obstacle no matter where I am. Do I need the sensor replaced? Has anyone else experienced this?
I guess the classic first response is 'did you turn it off and on?' :D Try a reboot and see if that helps. That's the first thing Tesla will recommend.

(Hold down the two scroll wheels until the main display turns off and restarts.)

I guess the classic first response is 'did you turn it off and on?' :D Try a reboot and see if that helps. That's the first thing Tesla will recommend.

(Hold down the two scroll wheels until the main display turns off and restarts.)

Of course I did :). I did a main screen reset and then I also recalibrated the door. I used the procedure where you hold the fwd switch all the way up then down. Both had no change.

I had the same problem couple of months ago, Tesla sent me a ranger and he fix it on my driveway in one hour. The sensor was loose inside the FWD and all he needed to do is to tighten it up. Works great ever since.

Try rebooting the car for a temporary fix. Go into E-Brake & Power settings, hit power off. Wait 3 minutes without touching, then tap the brakes to start it back up. Worked for me until I took it in to the SC to replace the sensor. I think it is a common issue for some sensors after sitting in hot sunlight for a while.

We've had the same issue with our brand new car that was delivered last month. We had the entire appliqué and sensor on the roof replaced and its been fine since. it took them about two weeks to get the part in though, which was frustrating since its a very common issue.