TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

fwd sensor range

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by tritonx, Jun 28, 2019.

1. tritonx

tritonx Member

I was at the service center today because my left FWD would show close obstructions (red arc) with nothing nearby. After picking it up, I noticed it showed the right FWD with a close obstruction (red arc), even though the model S was parked about 42" away. The service advisor said that this is normal. Discounting the fact that I've probably opened this FWD a thousand times with it never showing red from that distance, do you guys think this is an issue that is covered under warranty? I couldn't find any definitive information about when a FWD will think there's a close obstruction in the owner's manual.

2. Tam

Tam Well-Known Member

To me, what more important is whether the doors would open when there are no obstructions at all.

If they do, then I don't care about the visual red arc.

3. tritonx

tritonx Member

I dunno. It will be annoying to have to 1. get into the car, 2. hold the button, 3. wait 20 seconds, everytime I park since I almost always have something to the right of the car. I guess what I'm saying is that I think having an object at least 30" away from my right fwd should qualify as "no obstruction". The red-arc situation is annoying, especially if you're getting into the car, carrying a baby for example.

4. Tam

Tam Well-Known Member

I was talking about the scenario:

Scenario #1:

Push the Falcon Wing Door open (from interior passenger, exterior person, 17" screen...)

The door would fully extend despite the red arc icon while the surrounding of more than 12 inches is clear.

It would be problematic in the following scenario:

Scenario #2:

Push the Falcon Wing Door open (from interior passenger, exterior person, 17" screen...)

The door would not fully open because of the red arc icon while the surrounding of more than 12 inches is clear.

------------

I would not need any service if it's a scenario #1.

I would want service / re-calibration / repairs / replace for scenario #2.

Yes. Tesla Falcon Wing Doors can fully open when its adjacent cars are 12" away from it.

5. tritonx

tritonx Member

Hi,

The scenario we encountered was #2. The door opened about 1 inch and then stopped. In order to fully open, we had to hold down the button. This was when the obstruction next to that FWD was at least 40" away. The service representative said that is normal behavior and wouldn't take this as an issue. I will ask for service from a different service center, if I can recreate the issue. The annoying thing is that recreating it is not easy, which is why I was hopeful that Tesla would service it when it was happening on their premise in front of their service rep. Arg.