TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

FWD Stops Short

Discussion in 'Model X' started by fderheide, Jul 3, 2016.

1. fderheide

fderheide Member

my driver side FWD always, yes always, stops 3/4 of the way down, says obstacle detected, and requires dash override or button overrides to get closed.

It's getting old.

2. Hodginator

Hodginator Member

What did the Tesla service center say?

3. KaiserSoze

KaiserSoze Member

Happens to me, too, about fifty percent of the time.

4. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

Any chance either of you guys had your doors wrapped? My FWD only go up partially if they think there is something overhead. Last night we were out with guest on streets with no trees overhead and in parking lots and they all went up to the full height about six times.

5. NDR

NDR Member

both of ours started doing the same thing. Our the driver side is doing it more often than the passenger side. I talked to the SC and they said it's a firmware issue, and an update is coming....hopefully soon

6. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

Mine did this consistently but stopped after I did an at-home detailing of the car. It hasn't come back since. Coincidence, perhaps, or maybe something to do with cleaning the jamb and hinges.

Also, title requires this.

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  7. Pjjava34

Pjjava34 Member

My drivers side FWD does exactly this 40% of the time or so (although it seems to be getting even more frequent) while the passenger side FWD recently joined the party and does it around 20% of the time. We have 2 car seats with kids in our 2 second row seats so we deal with this multiple times a day every day. I was able to make an appointment about 3 weeks ago to go to the SC and that date will be here this coming Friday so we shall see. Drives me nuts as I now just wait and hang out until the door stops short and just use the side orange button to override all the way down.

8. fderheide

fderheide Member

Pjjava34. Same here.

No wrap, clean car, doors just won't close properly.

Sent email over to the Marietta service center. No reply.

Patiently waiting I guess for a resolution.

9. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

On another thread at Tesla Motors one person discovered the FWD are hypersensitive to the slope the car is on. Hopefully they will refine this over time.

• Informative x 2
  10. Scrith

Scrith Member

My driver's side FWD does this at least 50% of the time. I was able to reproduce it for the Palo Alto service center on the first attempt. We'll see if they can fix it...I'll let you know when I get it back from them in the coming weeks (they are just a bit backed up...I saw two Founder's X's there waiting for service when I dropped it off, btw).

11. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

Mine stops short in the garage, before the last firmware update it would open almost fully now it open in umbrella mode

12. MattXowner

MattXowner Member

I'm having trouble with mine closing too. Can't figure out what's going on.

Gosh, feel HORRIBLE for this owner. I would literally cry

image.jpeg image.jpg

13. ModelX

ModelX Member

That is one sad picture!

14. K-MTG

That almost happened to me twice, started driving without closing the FWD

• Funny x 1
  15. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Member

You can override if there's actually enough room to open fully in your garage, and the car will remember it for that location.

I had to do that after the update, also for the rear hatch.

16. Pjjava34

Pjjava34 Member

Gosh I would die if this happened to me. I tell myself how could anyone forget to close their wings before backing out but with two small kiddos back there and a million things to grab on the way out of the house this can and almost certainly will happen more frequently then standard doors as with standard you always shut the door after after putting your stuff or kids in there but with the FWD you can literally do it later via 5 different methods.

17. K-MTG

But the height differs when the garage is opened and closed so I can't do this properly

18. K-MTG

Exactly, I would appreciate a verbal warning (Elon's voice) when driving with the wings open sometimes your mind gets accustomed to all the beeps especially when parking while the parking sensors beep as well

• Like x 2
  19. cmc5dc

cmc5dc Member

Mine happened when I was parked in my driveway which has a slope to it. I thought that was strange at the time but didn't think anything of it.

20. vandacca

vandacca Active Member

Studies have shown that a woman's voice is more effective at grabbing people's attention, that's why things like the Nest smoke detectors and the Enterprise use female voices. Besides, by the time I got Elon's warning with all the "ums, uh, yeah, etc", it'll probably be too late. ;-) He is a brilliant guy, but not the best speaker. The only person I know that's a worse speaker than him, is me!

• Funny x 5