Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FWD Stops Short

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Until today, the FWD calibration would remedy the doors from detecting an obstacle upon closing. Today, it did not resolve it, until I did the calibration 4 times in a row.
Since then 10/10 the door closes, while previous to the repeated calibrations, it would not close more than 1/10.
Hope it's squashed for a while!

Embarrassing moment at the Barrie, ON supercharger earlier. Was showing off my MX FWD to the 2-3 MS owners. Went to close the doors and leave but NEITHER FWD would close. It sensed obstacles on both sides! Argh. I suspect it's own shadows causing this malfunction.

I was able to override the warning from inside the car.

I dropped off my X two weeks ago to have both wings looked at as the driver side detects a phantom obstacle roughly 40% of the time while the passenger side detects it 20% or so of the time. They tested the doors saying it operated normally (not sure how many tests they ran, but I was shocked to hear they said this as the problems are constant, daily and several times a day). They returned the car recently stating that almost all logs showed it was related to inductive sensors being triggered. They had removed the covers on the wing panels and verified that the sensors were affixed properly and functioning as they should.

They told me to document conditions, locations, weather, time, date, button used to close doors ect, the next time it happens so that engineers can analyze further.
After having the car back for 4 days now the frequency for the phantom objects on both doors upon closing has remained identical. Today, I had 6 consecutive failures when trying to close one of the doors. Meaning, we drive somewhere, get out of the car and try to close the door, it stops short and I override closed. We go into store, come out and get in, try to close the door and it stops short. Go elsewhere, get out and try to close door, ect ect on 6th consecutive occasions! I called the service center right before they closed and expressed my frustration and stated that I had logged all info they requested since last taking possession of the car.
They are having someone come to my house in the AM with an S to take the X back in. They told me the S had far more issues in its early days as compared to the X now. Yes the issues were different but they were plentiful and the S as he called it is "bullet proof" today. The service adviser also said they have certain protocol to follow per Tesla before switching out sensors and mechanisms and so on but perhaps this recent bout with more door closure failures on both sides will push me into getting new hardware installed on the doors. I want to love them, I have kids in car seats on both side of the doors and utilize them for their intended purpose on a daily basis but they need to work more frequently. I wait around now after clicking to close the door because I know odds are one of them will stop short! The service center has been amazing and accommodating here in the Atlanta area and never made me feel like a whack job for constantly calling in with new issues to report. I'm vin 49xx with an April build, mid May delivery (Elon sleeping bag days).

• Informative
Reactions: ohmman
I dropped off my X two weeks ago to have both wings looked at as the driver side detects a phantom obstacle roughly 40% of the time while the passenger side detects it 20% or so of the time. They tested the doors saying it operated normally (not sure how many tests they ran, but I was shocked to hear they said this as the problems are constant, daily and several times a day). They returned the car recently stating that almost all logs showed it was related to inductive sensors being triggered. They had removed the covers on the wing panels and verified that the sensors were affixed properly and functioning as they should.

They told me to document conditions, locations, weather, time, date, button used to close doors ect, the next time it happens so that engineers can analyze further.
After having the car back for 4 days now the frequency for the phantom objects on both doors upon closing has remained identical. Today, I had 6 consecutive failures when trying to close one of the doors. Meaning, we drive somewhere, get out of the car and try to close the door, it stops short and I override closed. We go into store, come out and get in, try to close the door and it stops short. Go elsewhere, get out and try to close door, ect ect on 6th consecutive occasions! I called the service center right before they closed and expressed my frustration and stated that I had logged all info they requested since last taking possession of the car.
They are having someone come to my house in the AM with an S to take the X back in. They told me the S had far more issues in its early days as compared to the X now. Yes the issues were different but they were plentiful and the S as he called it is "bullet proof" today. The service adviser also said they have certain protocol to follow per Tesla before switching out sensors and mechanisms and so on but perhaps this recent bout with more door closure failures on both sides will push me into getting new hardware installed on the doors. I want to love them, I have kids in car seats on both side of the doors and utilize them for their intended purpose on a daily basis but they need to work more frequently. I wait around now after clicking to close the door because I know odds are one of them will stop short! The service center has been amazing and accommodating here in the Atlanta area and never made me feel like a whack job for constantly calling in with new issues to report. I'm vin 49xx with an April build, mid May delivery (Elon sleeping bag days).
Keep me informed about this. I am having the exact issue. 90% of time my door sense a phantom obstacle. It's more than frustrating. It's embarassing! I happens 100% of the time when I'm showing off my car.

I have an appointment next month for the FWDs as well as some other semi-minor issues I've reported. Although, I'm told I will get a call tomorrow, and maybe get my appointment bumped earlier as yesterday I called in and reported some issues with Autopilot. .

Keep me informed about this. I am having the exact issue. 90% of time my door sense a phantom obstacle. It's more than frustrating. It's embarassing! I happens 100% of the time when I'm showing off my car.

I have an appointment next month for the FWDs as well as some other semi-minor issues I've reported. Although, I'm told I will get a call tomorrow, and maybe get my appointment bumped earlier as yesterday I called in and reported some issues with Autopilot. .

Will do. I go through the same embarrassment scenario and cringe when friends want to see the doors in action as I know odds are it'll fail me. I've talked with other X owners who've had their cars for months without ever having this issue. Beats me.

Will do. I go through the same embarrassment scenario and cringe when friends want to see the doors in action as I know odds are it'll fail me. I've talked with other X owners who've had their cars for months without ever having this issue. Beats me.
My issues only started semi-recently. The week after I took delivery, I was back at the SC for some minor issues and questions. I actually didn't know there was an issue with my FWDs. I thought they were perfect. I asked the SC manager how i get the doors to open straight up before spanning outwards. Like, when you're next to a parked car. My doors just wouldn't open much. On that day they told me that they needed to fix my calibration and that there was a doors update. I waited 45 min while they did this update and was on my way. Now, since that update, my FWD fail 90% of the time! they failed maybe 1-2% before I went to SC.

• Informative
Reactions: EV Family
Just a note, we had this happen a couple times with our X and what we noted is if our kids setting in back seat were too close to the doors (arms / legs) when they were closing it would detect them and stop. Ever since they have moved a little bit away from the door when it is closing it hasn't had any problems. We also close the front doors before the FWD.

My X detects phantom obstacles in my garage and doesn't open fully even though there is more than 12" clearance even in a fully open scenario. I did the override from control panel only about a 100 times now. Every time it says Full open is set for this location but wouldn't open the doors next time. Sometimes it opens so low that it is practically impossible to get in the car, when I close it and open it again it may or may not open to a umbrella mode. Very frustrating as I had spent the money to raise the garage door up to facilitate the FWDs to open fully so that I can put the kids in the car seat easily. The guy at the SC was not helpful at all and kept repeating that he had no control over engineering and the only thing for to do is go post the issue in the tesla forum and they may look at it :mad:

My X detects phantom obstacles in my garage and doesn't open fully even though there is more than 12" clearance even in a fully open scenario. I did the override from control panel only about a 100 times now. Every time it says Full open is set for this location but wouldn't open the doors next time. Sometimes it opens so low that it is practically impossible to get in the car, when I close it and open it again it may or may not open to a umbrella mode. Very frustrating as I had spent the money to raise the garage door up to facilitate the FWDs to open fully so that I can put the kids in the car seat easily. The guy at the SC was not helpful at all and kept repeating that he had no control over engineering and the only thing for to do is go post the issue in the tesla forum and they may look at it :mad:

call Tesla 1-877-798-3752
Maybe they will me more help.

FYI - picking up my X from the SC today. The FWD stopping short is a known issue and, at least in some cases, is due to a wire for a sensor sliding down in front of the sensor inside the door. (i.e. The door starts to go down, the wire shifts slightly due to the change in angle and movement making it block the sensor. The sensor now detects an "obstacle" where there is none.) This also explains why it's intermittent. Sometimes the wire moves away entirely and all is fine, sometimes it spends more time in front of the sensor and the door doesn't want to close.

For those who have this problem, the fix is quick and takes no new parts. They just have to open up the door, (re-)route the wire properly, and make sure to tie it down so that it can't shift to block the sensor.

Even though there may be more than 12" of space after you parked the sensors may have detected an obstacle closer than that as you were entering the garage, overhead obstacles included. Part of the way the new firmware works is that it "remembers" these signals just before parking and opening. The way I realized this is happening is that when my MX did this I had placed a box near the entrance of my garage, the sensors picked this up as I was pulling in, even though I cleared the box and it was not in the door's way, I still had a partially opened fwd.

My issues only started semi-recently. The week after I took delivery, I was back at the SC for some minor issues and questions. I actually didn't know there was an issue with my FWDs. I thought they were perfect. I asked the SC manager how i get the doors to open straight up before spanning outwards. Like, when you're next to a parked car. My doors just wouldn't open much. On that day they told me that they needed to fix my calibration and that there was a doors update. I waited 45 min while they did this update and was on my way. Now, since that update, my FWD fail 90% of the time! they failed maybe 1-2% before I went to SC.

Service Center called me today to say that my wing issues are fixed and it's ready for pick up! Just 24 hours after dropping it off I'm a bit skeptical but they went on to tell me they had about 80 X owners call with wing issues in recent weeks and it was a firmware fix which "Tesla has been working feverishly on in the past few days to put out." They also said my non responsive seatback buttons on the 2nd seats are also fixed and were a firmware issue as well.
I'll pick up the car in tech AM and will see for myself I guess.

FYI - picking up my X from the SC today. The FWD stopping short is a known issue and, at least in some cases, is due to a wire for a sensor sliding down in front of the sensor inside the door. (i.e. The door starts to go down, the wire shifts slightly due to the change in angle and movement making it block the sensor. The sensor now detects an "obstacle" where there is none.) This also explains why it's intermittent. Sometimes the wire moves away entirely and all is fine, sometimes it spends more time in front of the sensor and the door doesn't want to close.

For those who have this problem, the fix is quick and takes no new parts. They just have to open up the door, (re-)route the wire properly, and make sure to tie it down so that it can't shift to block the sensor.

I got my X back from the service center to address FWD closing issues. The wire was rerouted as well. I am not sure why the issue started (timed with the recent firmware update), but this seemed to have fixed it.

Service Center called me today to say that my wing issues are fixed and it's ready for pick up! Just 24 hours after dropping it off I'm a bit skeptical but they went on to tell me they had about 80 X owners call with wing issues in recent weeks and it was a firmware fix which "Tesla has been working feverishly on in the past few days to put out." They also said my non responsive seatback buttons on the 2nd seats are also fixed and were a firmware issue as well.
I'll pick up the car in tech AM and will see for myself I guess.

Let me know if the issue is fixed. My driver side FWD has the same issue, if your are fixed I will call them up and get mine fixed.

About 20 or so openings and closings today after picking up the car and no failiures yet. This would have never happened before as you would almost certainly get 3-4 stops in their but fingers crossed its working!
That's good news. It's horribly embarrassing when showing off the car and cringing every time. I do have a bunch of other issues too, so don't know if 24 hours will be enough time for mine.

Reactions: halg