Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FWD Stops Short

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's good news. It's horribly embarrassing when showing off the car and cringing every time. I do have a bunch of other issues too, so don't know if 24 hours will be enough time for mine.
I was told the "pinch sensors" were extremely sensitive along the edges of the door but a new firmware was installed to reduce sensitivity yet keeping them safe from little fingers.

Anyone still have frequent bouts with the FWD stopping short? A supposed firmware upgrade (per the service center) was to fix the issue and after getting the X in about 3 weeks ago it seemed to have been resolved. Over the past 10 or so days though it has gradually started again, stopping shortly before it shuts at a rate of about 3 times a day. It is usually on the same door for me. Though the other FWD stops short from time to time as well.

Anyone still have frequent bouts with the FWD stopping short? A supposed firmware upgrade (per the service center) was to fix the issue and after getting the X in about 3 weeks ago it seemed to have been resolved. Over the past 10 or so days though it has gradually started again, stopping shortly before it shuts at a rate of about 3 times a day. It is usually on the same door for me. Though the other FWD stops short from time to time as well.
I had this issue early on, then it seemed to resolve (coincidentally?) after I did a full detail of the car. In the last week, it has come back on both doors pretty regularly. My X goes in on Monday for a huge punch list (25 items) so I'm hoping they'll sort something out with this.

I had this issue early on, then it seemed to resolve (coincidentally?) after I did a full detail of the car. In the last week, it has come back on both doors pretty regularly. My X goes in on Monday for a huge punch list (25 items) so I'm hoping they'll sort something out with this.

I know I've thought about your cleaning of the door seals and sensor area and since posting my question a few minutes ago went down to the garage for another clean sweep of the edges. I also do waterless cleaning of the car pretty regularly myself but even 5 minutes ago after doing another full wipe down it still sensed an obstacle on closing. The false obstacle detection has haunted me from the get go and it never goes away to the point that I'd rather tesla peel off the wing sensors and I'll take liability as long as the damn door just closes!
Please post what service makes up about the wings functioning normally.

• Funny
Reactions: ohmman
Prior to latest firmware update this only happened twice. After this latest update it is happening one in three times. Tech support suggested I run a calibration exercise, I did it twice but it is still happening at about the same frequency. I'm taking it in for hopefully the last few cosmetic issues next week, this has been added to the list unfortunately.

Ok so far no problems with the FW doors but whenever they stop short because they detect something and I want them to open all the way what can I do? There is still clearance for them to open they are just over protective I guess you could say. Whenever I hit the fob or door button it just shuts the door. I want it to continue to open all the way up. Any suggestions?

Ok so far no problems with the FW doors but whenever they stop short because they detect something and I want them to open all the way what can I do? There is still clearance for them to open they are just over protective I guess you could say. Whenever I hit the fob or door button it just shuts the door. I want it to continue to open all the way up. Any suggestions?

To open them further, check the 17" display. You should see a screen that indicates the doors can be opened further by pressing and holding open on that display (not buy using the key fob or physical door buttons). Once opened fully, you can choose to set Always open fully at this location.

The good news is that not only is this a known issue now, there's also a known fix. There's a wire at the top of the door which is often not routed/secured properly. When they FWD closes, that wire sometimes ends up lying across the sensor, causing there obstacle detected issue and preventing there for from closing completely. The SC should be able to check all sensors and secure that wire.

To open them further, check the 17" display. You should see a screen that indicates the doors can be opened further by pressing and holding open on that display (not buy using the key fob or physical door buttons). Once opened fully, you can choose to set Always open fully at this location.
You can also pull and hold the door open ring if you're in the back. As soon as you let go, they'll stop.

My MX is currently at the SC for this among a list of other minor issues. They've had it since Tuesday morning. Supposedly they've fixed it and are just waiting on an unrelated part. I'll let you know what happens when I get it back.

I was having the phantom obstacle detected about 75% of the time and 100% of the time when I was showing it off (go figure!).

My Tesla app notified me that since Tuesday, Tesla has updated my software 4 or 5 times.

I want my MX back already, the loaner Model S they gave me feels so cramped. Although it's a P90DL !

My MX is currently at the SC for this among a list of other minor issues. They've had it since Tuesday morning. Supposedly they've fixed it and are just waiting on an unrelated part. I'll let you know what happens when I get it back.

I was having the phantom obstacle detected about 75% of the time and 100% of the time when I was showing it off (go figure!).

My Tesla app notified me that since Tuesday, Tesla has updated my software 4 or 5 times.

I want my MX back already, the loaner Model S they gave me feels so cramped. Although it's a P90DL !
I feel you. I was showing it to some family for the first time 30 min ago and the fwd which typically doesn't fail me started failing me (twice) in the 30 min I was showing them the car.

I've dropped it off twice for the phantom obstacles and they've told me it's been fixed and surprisingly it does for a few days (which would never happen ) then it slowly starts in frequency and increases again with more and more stops.
I'll be looking forward to your post when you receive the car!

I feel you. I was showing it to some family for the first time 30 min ago and the fwd which typically doesn't fail me started failing me (twice) in the 30 min I was showing them the car.

I've dropped it off twice for the phantom obstacles and they've told me it's been fixed and surprisingly it does for a few days (which would never happen ) then it slowly starts in frequency and increases again with more and more stops.
I'll be looking forward to your post when you receive the car!

I'll most likely post on this thread: MX going to SC, after 1 month

When I get my car back. Look out for my response. I'm eager to get my MX back. The MS loaner, although pretty cool with ludicrous, is too small for me. It's just not comfortable as my Model X.

I picked up my Model X (VIN 4xxx) in NY a month ago. The FWDs started to experience false obstacle detection on the driver side 3 days after pickup (they worked fine for the first 2 days). I called Tesla and they picked up the car a week later, took it to the SC, were able to replicate the problem and documented that they had performed a hard reset of the pinch protection sensor and firmware, and were able to correct the issue. I get the car back a day later, and the problem went away for a week. This past weekend, the exact same problem resurfaced, and I called Tesla service today and were told it had been determined it was a firmware issue and that I had to just sit tight and wait for a firmwide update in a few weeks. At no point during the earlier SC appointment or my most recent call to service did they mention this issue with the loose wire, so I'm debating if I should call the SC (Red Hook) again and insist that they take the car back in or just wait for a firmware update.

My wife's MX is at service now and I just got an email update regarding this problem. Here's the exact wording used in the update email:

"Falcon door trims have been removed and wiring re-secured. We also updated the firmware on the vehicle and so far they have been perfect."

They had implied, prior to the car going up, that they would have to physically replace the sensors. This suggests it's more a wiring and Firmware issue.