Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FWD Stops Short

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But the height differs when the garage is opened and closed so I can't do this properly
Not sure, but our understanding is that it will still use the sensors to detect obstacles even if you have set it to 'fully open in this location'. I think the partial open update was to be cautious due to the edge cases where the sensors don't pick up some odd pillars, poles, etc. Haven't tested it out, so be cautious if you try it.

Studies have shown that a woman's voice is more effective at grabbing people's attention, that's why things like the Nest smoke detectors and the Enterprise use female voices. Besides, by the time I got Elon's warning with all the "ums, uh, yeah, etc", it'll probably be too late. ;-) He is a brilliant guy, but not the best speaker. The only person I know that's a worse speaker than him, is me!

How about making the navigation voice Elon's voice?

• Funny
Reactions: SSD420
@fderheide I was able to resolve this in my Wife's X by holding the B-pillar up button in the up position for 45 seconds as the FWD creeps up, then hold it down for another 45 secs for about 20 secs after is closes. This "calibrates" the sensors from what I have gathered, and resolves the concern for at least a couple weeks now.

Anyone have a fix for this? I tried the 45 second up/down but it didn't work. The FWD gets stops about 80% of the time now and I have to press "close" multiple times to get the door to close completely. Service center appointment in Burlingame, CA is 6 weeks out.

Add me to the list with consistent "obstacle detected" problems. My doors are wrapped though I don't know that it has anything to do with it. I tried the reset technique described in this thread, but it didn't appear to do anything (the doors just closed and stayed closed and nothing happened despite holding the button for a solid 30 seconds longer). I would say my doors detect an obstacle at least 50% of the time. My 3-year-old has a mild panic attack while sitting in her car seat when her door doesn't close all the way "oh no! fix it!"

No wrap on my car, but I do have a carseat on the side that won't close. Maxi-cosi brand/style. Bulky but doesn't touch the door. My 2 year old says "FAIL!" when the door stops short. SC said it would be a firmware fix, but the new firmware they pushed to my car didn't help at all.

both of ours started doing the same thing. Our the driver side is doing it more often than the passenger side. I talked to the SC and they said it's a firmware issue, and an update is coming....hopefully soon
I already got the firmware update... I got it last week when I was at the SC for a different issue and we noticed that my FWD don't open when I stand near the door or park near another car.

SINCE getting that update, I find that my Driver side FWD stops short claiming an obstacle about 65% of the time. I have to force it down manually using the buttons on the door.

I got my X back from the SC to resolve this issue and so far I haven't had any trouble with the afflicted Falcon Wing Door. Here's the service note:

checked operation. verified pass falcon door will intermittently not close and states obstacle detected when no obstacle is in range. Checked inductive sensor at falcon door. senors are in good physical condition and properly secured. checked wiring for chafing, no chafing found. power ground and signal are all present and proper. necessary to replace sensor and perform firmware update in attempt to remedy false object detection.

after induction sensor replacement, necessary to install firmware, loaded and installed. verified version and checked operation of door. door is operating normally and closing properly.

Kudos to the Cleveland SC for handling this so well. I had it in for a few other issues and everything has been resolved to my satisfaction.

Reactions: Turing and Jon
I got my X back from the SC to resolve this issue and so far I haven't had any trouble with the afflicted Falcon Wing Door. Here's the service note:

checked operation. verified pass falcon door will intermittently not close and states obstacle detected when no obstacle is in range. Checked inductive sensor at falcon door. senors are in good physical condition and properly secured. checked wiring for chafing, no chafing found. power ground and signal are all present and proper. necessary to replace sensor and perform firmware update in attempt to remedy false object detection.

after induction sensor replacement, necessary to install firmware, loaded and installed. verified version and checked operation of door. door is operating normally and closing properly.

Kudos to the Cleveland SC for handling this so well. I had it in for a few other issues and everything has been resolved to my satisfaction.
I had an issue again today. I manually closed it using the inside button

Good to hear. My parts finally arrived that were ordered three weeks ago, but couldn't get an appointment until 3 weeks out. The frequency of false object detection has gone down significantly recently though, not sure if that is due to the latest update. Also not terribly worried about the long wait as I also had a passenger door latch issue 3 weeks back and they handled that the next day (could have been same day if I was willing to take a loaner). This issue is more of an annoyance since it doesn't render the vehicle inoperable.

Took delivery of my car today and looks like my passenger side FWD has the "stops short" problem about 30% of the time. (didn't notice at the SC - in retrospect it did it once there, but at the time I thought it was two of us hitting buttons at the same time)

I can try a FWD re-calibration on my own and am expecting a callback from Tesla service, but should I assume this will take an appointment at the SC to fix?