Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FWD Stops Short

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any chance either of you guys had your doors wrapped? My FWD only go up partially if they think there is something overhead. Last night we were out with guest on streets with no trees overhead and in parking lots and they all went up to the full height about six times.

my driver side FWD always, yes always, stops 3/4 of the way down, says obstacle detected, and requires dash override or button overrides to get closed.

It's getting old.
My drivers side FWD does exactly this 40% of the time or so (although it seems to be getting even more frequent) while the passenger side FWD recently joined the party and does it around 20% of the time. We have 2 car seats with kids in our 2 second row seats so we deal with this multiple times a day every day. I was able to make an appointment about 3 weeks ago to go to the SC and that date will be here this coming Friday so we shall see. Drives me nuts as I now just wait and hang out until the door stops short and just use the side orange button to override all the way down.

My driver's side FWD does this at least 50% of the time. I was able to reproduce it for the Palo Alto service center on the first attempt. We'll see if they can fix it...I'll let you know when I get it back from them in the coming weeks (they are just a bit backed up...I saw two Founder's X's there waiting for service when I dropped it off, btw).

I'm having trouble with mine closing too. Can't figure out what's going on.

Gosh, feel HORRIBLE for this owner. I would literally cry

image.jpeg
image.jpg

That almost happened to me twice, started driving without closing the FWD
Gosh I would die if this happened to me. I tell myself how could anyone forget to close their wings before backing out but with two small kiddos back there and a million things to grab on the way out of the house this can and almost certainly will happen more frequently then standard doors as with standard you always shut the door after after putting your stuff or kids in there but with the FWD you can literally do it later via 5 different methods.

Gosh I would die if this happened to me. I tell myself how could anyone forget to close their wings before backing out but with two small kiddos back there and a million things to grab on the way out of the house this can and almost certainly will happen more frequently then standard doors as with standard you always shut the door after after putting your stuff or kids in there but with the FWD you can literally do it later via 5 different methods.

Exactly, I would appreciate a verbal warning (Elon's voice) when driving with the wings open sometimes your mind gets accustomed to all the beeps especially when parking while the parking sensors beep as well

Exactly, I would appreciate a verbal warning (Elon's voice) when driving with the wings open sometimes your mind gets accustomed to all the beeps especially when parking while the parking sensors beep as well
Studies have shown that a woman's voice is more effective at grabbing people's attention, that's why things like the Nest smoke detectors and the Enterprise use female voices. Besides, by the time I got Elon's warning with all the "ums, uh, yeah, etc", it'll probably be too late. ;-) He is a brilliant guy, but not the best speaker. The only person I know that's a worse speaker than him, is me!