Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FWD stuck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my X for about 2.5 weeks, this morning when I went to open the right FWD using the door handle, the door unlatched and started to open, then stopped after only opening about an inch as if it had detected an obstruction. I tried again, but it kept making the same 3 beep sound and would not move.

The door will not open or close using the screen, key fob, or the buttons in the car or on the door. It makes the same 3 beep sound when anything is done to try to open or close.
The interesting thing is that the screen doesn't say anything about any obstructions, the door just will not move one way or the other. I can pull the door open with moderate force and it just stays wherever it is left. If I push the door down, I can push it enough to latch, but it doesn't close the rest of the way to be flush with the rest of the car. And the screen still shows the door as not completely closed. If I drive it, it sounds the continuous warning beeps about driving with the door not being closed, and the screen shows the FWD door as partially open.

Service center is closed today, so I thought I would see if anyone has any remedies to reset the door in some way.

No other issues with the car since I got it, its been driving great for us.

Thanks for that suggestion. I held the button down and in spurts of movement the door opened several inches and then closed. I tried opening the door with no success, and the screen was incorrectly showing the door was still open. So I held the button down again, and it did the same thing, opened several inches and then closed. After repeating this two more times, I noticed the screen now showed the door was correctly closed. So I tried to open the door via the screen and it worked!

So far its looking good as new. Thanks so much for the help!

Reactions: loganintx
I had this issue once and called a tech out to see if everything was okay. My symptoms were that the door opened a few inches and made three beeps then stopped. The center console showed that the door was full open and I couldn't get the door to operate correctly from the screen. I held down the physical switch in the second row to get the door closed but it couldn't open all the way. The next day, the door was operating properly but I still had the ranger check it out. He told me that if I ever have any troubles with the door and I can get the door to close, I can perform the following to re-calibrate the falcon wing door.

With the door closed, press and hold the physical close lever from the inside. The door will open slightly, shimmy, then close and latch with some beeps. You can then operate the falcon wing door normally. This should be mentioned in the user manual but it isn't. I haven't seen a sticky anywhere with this re-calibration procedure so hopefully it will help others.

There was an issue in 2.15.16 that caused the FWD's to lose their calibration data when the car went to sleep.

2.15.50 fixes this problem.

Holding down the B-pillar button for a calibration cycle causes the door to relearn things.

My falcon wing door won't shut on a very cold morning. The door appears to be shut but it just won't latch. I brought the car to the service center and they said there was actually ice in the motor and the motor was completed fried. They said they will replace the motor with the latest version which has better insulation. My VIN is around 16000