TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

FWD usability improvement idea

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Waverider, Jun 6, 2017.

1. Waverider

Waverider Member

So we did a 24hr test drive of an X this weekend. Overall it was an incredible experience. The biggest issue we had was opening the FWD in the garage. They would barely crack open and being a loaner, and my general unfamiliarity with the settings, I didn't want to experiment too much with trying to get them to open more. There was clearly enough room for them to open more. Maybe there are work-arounds but I didn't see anything obvious in the door menu or on google.

Here's my idea for a simple solution. Make the doors movable by manual manipulation. Now the doors are likely too heavy to move unassisted, so my idea requires the motors to augment the manual manipulation and make them feel weightless. to open from the outside you would press the chrom handle button. The door would open to whatever limits the sensors let it. Then you would press and hold the door close button on the bottom-side of the door. This would allow the augmented movement mode. Then you could move the door as appropriate to maneuver the door fully open. Push the door up or swing it out as necessary. Similarly from the inside you'd open it as normal then hold down the button and push the door fully open.

I don't think this idea would require additional sensors or other hardware features. Just a software update. The doors already sense their position and have some kind of resistive force feedback mechanism. A human augmenting the door sensors with human vision would greatly improve functionality.

• Like x 3
  2. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

You can over-ride the very conservative (for now) doors by holding the open button (on B-pillar or main screen). I suspect that in the future (12-24 months) they'll have more faith in the sensors and they will open less conservatively.

• Like x 1
  3. gearchruncher

gearchruncher Member

As someone with a lot of experience in these types of control systems:

What you describe is possible, but it takes a bunch of energy and heat.

You'd need to run the motors on the doors continuously in order for them to take up 99% of the weight of the door. The door has no way to detect that you've grabbed it and are trying to move it, so it has to assume it all the time. So the motor needs to sit there stalled and generating 99% of the torque required to move the door. This is likely in the 75% range of what it takes to actually move the door. Since the door doesn't move, all this energy goes into heat in the motor.

Unless you designed the motors to handle this heat load, they'll overheat quickly and destroy themselves.

You can move the doors manually FYI, but they weigh quite a bit, and that's already after having a huge spring in the upper joint taking up most of the weight.

4. Yinn

Yinn Member

How does the trunk do it? Is it using something other than motors? I'm just wondering why it can't be the same since I can manually override the trunk.

5. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

Trunk is lighter and more balanced, so it's easy to do. FWD do have a very big loaded spring, but it's still not enough to make it easy to open due to the friction in 2 hinges (rather than 1 for the trunk).

However, this is easily mitigated by using the B-pillar switch or the main screen.

6. Yinn

Yinn Member

Thanks for the explanation. That's what I do with mine. I usually reach in to hit the b pillar buttons. Eventually got tired of it and I converted my garage doors to be hi-lift, and had an engineer remove the pole between the two bays.

• Like x 1