Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FWD won't open and driver's door opens slightly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i did a quick search and couldn't find any similar problem. Does any one have any suggestions?

This evening after Xmas shopping, upon getting home, I could no longer open my driver's side FWD from handle, inside lever, Fob or touch screen. It makes no sounds nor does it move at all. I can't force it open either.

The driver's door has also been acting up recently. It seems stiffer and requires a really firm push to close it to latch itself and whenever it opens from closed, it only pops open a tiny amount despiteno obstruction being present.

24 service says they "never encountered" this before which is what they have always responded with. My service centre always wants me to pop on in for a quick assessment but it's a 2 hour drive away.

Any ideas?

Happening to me, driver door only: Driver door not operating properly (see video)

Here's my video

Service says new latch is on back order. It sucks.
Hmmm interesting. From the looks of your video, our problems seem slightly different. My doors a few inches. More than yours does seemingly. Also, stepping on the brake does close the door normall in my case.

I hope mine isn't a latch problem like yours. I don't want to have to get the car taken to the SC two hours away. It was just there last month.

i did a quick search and couldn't find any similar problem. Does any one have any suggestions?

This evening after Xmas shopping, upon getting home, I could no longer open my driver's side FWD from handle, inside lever, Fob or touch screen. It makes no sounds nor does it move at all. I can't force it open either.

The driver's door has also been acting up recently. It seems stiffer and requires a really firm push to close it to latch itself and whenever it opens from closed, it only pops open a tiny amount despiteno obstruction being present.

24 service says they "never encountered" this before which is what they have always responded with. My service centre always wants me to pop on in for a quick assessment but it's a 2 hour drive away.

Any ideas?
I might have the same thing. I have a completely non-functioning FWD and a similar problem with the front door on the same side. My problem is on the passenger side. Additionally I seem to have non-functioning sensors on the top of the vehicle.

I might have the same thing. I have a completely non-functioning FWD and a similar problem with the front door on the same side. My problem is on the passenger side. Additionally I seem to have non-functioning sensors on the top of the vehicle.
That sucks!
And have you already reported it? They weren't able to troubleshoot it over the phone I take it?

My passenger side falcon wing door has similar issue before and it was the dynamat inside falcon wing door is loose. The reason of it also affected the front door is that the front door uses the falcon wing door sensor to determine how wide it can open so when it thinks falcon wing door can't open because of the phantom obstruction then the front will only crack open a tiny bit.

My passenger side falcon wing door has similar issue before and it was the dynamat inside falcon wing door is loose. The reason of it also affected the front door is that the front door uses the falcon wing door sensor to determine how wide it can open so when it thinks falcon wing door can't open because of the phantom obstruction then the front will only crack open a tiny bit.
It does appear that FWD confusion or non functioning affects the front door - so your explanation makes sense.

That sucks!
And have you already reported it? They weren't able to troubleshoot it over the phone I take it?
They were not able to do anything remotely but in the end the ranger (came yesterday) pulled/replacede the fuse to the FWD, essentially (as I understand it) allowing the controller? to reset to a sane state. This in turn allowed the software update (that had previously been failing) to complete successfully. I should add that I had the MCU replaced thought that was mostly because of a loud fan noise coming from it. Once the software had updated with the new MCU, everything resolved including a front signal light issue that I had assumed would require a part replacement. I'm not sure if the MCU was the solution as we were replacing that anyway. I tend to thing that the software was the issue and possibly a controller got into a non-operative state. I'm also not sure if my software update failures created the issue by corrupting this peripheral firmware or if this issue caused the software update to fail. Seems like the latter is most likely.

Interesting. Makes sense. Did you have to bring the car for servicing to fix that?

Here a pic of my fuses

Attachments

• IMG_8934.JPG
    IMG_8934.JPG
    406.4 KB · Views: 122
Just got my X back Saturday for all the issues mentioned here. The SC replaced a sensor above the FWD on the passenger side as well as the driver side door latch. The groaning/clicking noise, they placed some lube or something so it doesn't make any more noise. Took a total of 4 hours but it was done and I got a P85D as a loaner. Insane mode on the S was awesome, I think some of my internal organs shifted a bit.

My driver door problem (as mentioned in post #2 above) persists. New door latch did not fix it with a ranger visit. Service center is trailering down a loaner to take my X back to the shop. Parts ordered were the door motor and control module (?). Hopefully should be fixed by the end of this week.

Se
My driver door problem (as mentioned in post #2 above) persists. New door latch did not fix it with a ranger visit. Service center is trailering down a loaner to take my X back to the shop. Parts ordered were the door motor and control module (?). Hopefully should be fixed by the end of this week.

Seems like we might be having the same issue. Parts being on back order really does not sound pleasant.