Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FWD won't open and driver's door opens slightly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My driver door problem (as mentioned in post #2 above) persists. New door latch did not fix it with a ranger visit. Service center is trailering down a loaner to take my X back to the shop. Parts ordered were the door motor and control module (?). Hopefully should be fixed by the end of this week.
Curious Jeff. Do you have to pay to have the X brought to the SC and for the ranger service? They charge me $100 for the trailering each time.

I had this same issue come up this week. Driver side FWD completely stopped working. No way to open at all from any method. The driver's door is experiencing the same issues - opening a few inches then need to lightly force for the door open. Service center pulled logs and said nothing can be done by a ranger. They are coming out with a truck next week to take it in.

I had this same issue come up this week. Driver side FWD completely stopped working. No way to open at all from any method. The driver's door is experiencing the same issues - opening a few inches then need to lightly force for the door open. Service center pulled logs and said nothing can be done by a ranger. They are coming out with a truck next week to take it in.
I feel your pain!

Are they charging you to take the truck in?

Curious Jeff. Do you have to pay to have the X brought to the SC and for the ranger service? They charge me $100 for the trailering each time.
Never a charge, I'm about 100 miles from the service center.

I got my car back today. They replaced the motor unit in the driver door. The problem is fixed, auto open and close work again!

Edit: the paperwork calls it the door drive unit

Never a charge, I'm about 100 miles from the service center.

I got my car back today. They replaced the motor unit in the driver door. The problem is fixed, auto open and close work again!

Edit: the paperwork calls it the door drive unit

Thanks Jeff. Glad to hear that YOUR service centre takes such good care of you. I'm hoping mine will find time for me before the end of the month.

It's interesting that many of us seem to have the same symptoms but apparently very different causes, though its possible that your problem might be a simple a fix as mine but Tesla are taking no chances on sending out a ranger who then has to request the car be brought in.
I guess, given that this thread is titled according to the symptoms, it's not surprising that several of us are drawn to this despite potentially different causes. Having the FWD fail and the corresponding front door fail is apparently not coincidental, it is due to fact that the front and FW doors have some software integration to avoid any collision when they are opening. If the FWD fails (for whatever reason) the front door will probably stop auto opening.

• Informative
Reactions: Gymee
It's interesting that many of us seem to have the same symptoms but apparently very different causes, though its possible that your problem might be a simple a fix as mine but Tesla are taking no chances on sending out a ranger who then has to request the car be brought in.
I guess, given that this thread is titled according to the symptoms, it's not surprising that several of us are drawn to this despite potentially different causes. Having the FWD fail and the corresponding front door fail is apparently not coincidental, it is due to fact that the front and FW doors have some software integration to avoid any collision when they are opening. If the FWD fails (for whatever reason) the front door will probably stop auto opening.
Update: The same door failed in the same way. It was again fixed by a fuse pull but given the repeat of the problem I'll probably end up getting something replaced (possibly the controller for the FWD) if it happens again.

Update: The same door failed in the same way. It was again fixed by a fuse pull but given the repeat of the problem I'll probably end up getting something replaced (possibly the controller for the FWD) if it happens again.
I got my car back from the SC yesterday. I asked what the problem was and all I got was this: "Software issue for the doors and trims fixed"
This was the full extent of the explanation I was given. The car was at the SC for 10 days. Wish I could help the rest of you as to why my doors stopped.

I had the same problem today. And I managed to "reset" it by pulling up the open switch inside the vehicle for about 10 seconds. After that I heard a click sound from that FWD, then everything back to normal for now, including the driver's door.

I'm still contacting SC to find out if I need get something fixed.

Attached is a photo of the touch screen controls when it is broken. The left FWD won't open, and it show one more button than the working right FWD.

Attachments

• lfd.jpg
    lfd.jpg
    533.7 KB · Views: 78
  • Informative
Reactions: Bilen and Gymee
I had the same problem today. And I managed to "reset" it by pulling up the open switch inside the vehicle for about 10 seconds. After that I heard a click sound from that FWD, then everything back to normal for now, including the driver's door.

Attached is a photo of the touch screen controls when it is broken. The left FWD won't open, and it show one more button than the working right FWD.
Mine also looked like that; however, I tried pulling the open switch (and using the screen) several times without any success.
My door problem was again remedied with a fuse pull (reset) and has now been several weeks without any repeat of the problem. If it happens again they may replace the controller (not sure if that is the same as the Door Drive Unit); however, this may well have been a firmware bug that causes the controller in the door to need a reboot, and which may have been fixed in a recent update. Fingers crossed.

• Helpful
Reactions: metier
I fixed my FWD by disconnecting the power per Ohman's sticky in the reset forum. Lots of sparks doing that but it worked. It sure would be nice to know which fuse to pull as the fuse box is easy to reach and that would be much simpler. Mine has worked since I reset it two weeks ago.

Anyone have a fuse diagram that shows which fuse is for the FWD?

Reactions: Hans Allis

I picked up my Model X today from SC. They could not find any thing wrong with it. Here is the description of work in my invoice:

Concern: Customer states was unable to open left Falcon Door from exterior handle, inside button, key fob, and touchscreen on 01/18 at 8:00. Performed door reset and as been working. See attached picture of touchscreen when door would not open.

Corrections: Door Shells General Diagnosis Conclusion: No Trouble Found

Performed door calibration on left falcon door. Unable to duplicate concern. No trouble found with door operation.

I fixed my FWD by disconnecting the power per Ohman's sticky in the reset forum. Lots of sparks doing that but it worked. It sure would be nice to know which fuse to pull as the fuse box is easy to reach and that would be much simpler. Mine has worked since I reset it two weeks ago.

Anyone have a fuse diagram that shows which fuse is for the FWD?
I don't think a fuse diagram exist for these particular fuses (or for the matter any of the fuses). From observation, it appears the fuses are near the floor of the passenger footwell on the console side and I think there are actually two fuses that need pulling. It didn't look that easy to get in there either.