Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FWDs have a mind of their own: Opening and closing at their leisure and at all hours.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So we have come into a perplexing problem - not sure if it's FOB related, but our experience lately suggests it's not us. And for the record, we've booked a Service Appointment.

So occasionally we've come out to our X and one of the FWDs has been wide open...sometimes all night. It happened relatively infrequently so we figured it was us accidentally pressing it. But recently it begun to happen far more frequently. We had already switched the fob from single click to triple-click because I was always leaning on the fob when reaching into the back and closing the hatch on my head. This was quite obvious when I was at fault, these latest issues not so much.

My wife went grocery shopping and came back to the car and one of the FWDs is wide open in the parking lot, who knows for how long. Later, we were at the check-in to the campsite (only yesterday) and the right FWD was opening and closing by itself. We had both the FOBs in the car, but they were both in the cup-holder. It would open, then stop, then close, then open again, my wife got after my 5-y.o. who exclaimed it was't her. I was out grabbing firewood and could see she wasn't pressing anything. Slightly embarrassing when your car is mis-behaving in front of company.

And the icing on the cake: last night one of the kids awoke and the trailer was glowing red; the taillights and headlights were on blasting through the campground at 1:30AM and the FWD wide open, yet again. Both sets of keys were up at the back of the trailer, and they don't function from there. We closed it, put the keys back. We awoke a few hours later, and there it was again wide open. This happened two more times. I kept the key above me inside (where the FOB does reach) so I could close it again without having to get out of bed. It didn't happen again.

We left the campground to get cellular reception (because there is none at the campground) to schedule a service appointment, because at this point it's becoming an issue. As we were stopped at a light, the door tried to open again but the car gave us the error beeps because the doors were locked. Interestingly at night, the car did the whole passive entry unlock dual-honk, unfold mirrors, open the door, despite the fact the FOB was nowhere near.

When the car is in it's strange door-opening mood, the FOB actually doesn't function, neither of them. When I do any of the normal dual-presses, nothing happens. When I triple-click on the roof (the close-all), it opens and closes only the door that had opened by itself. The fact that both FOBs are the same likely indicates it's not a problem with a single FOB. The other strange thing is that it was the passenger FWD that had opened at the gate house, and the rest of the time it had been the driver FWD. Add to this the phantom "object detected" refusal to open and refusal to manually override issues we've had 3-4 times now, we're losing our minds a bit here.

So question: will turning off passive entry help in the interim? It seems the car doesn't even need the FOB anyways(to open that door by itself), and if the FOB/car is malfunctioning could that lock us out?(I've only ever used passive entry, so am unfamiliar with how the car works without it... and without cellular reception slightly worried.)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: cwerdna and croman
I would start with turning off passive entry. That would eliminate the fobs and maybe a receiver, and may also point to a particular mechanical switch. Is it always the same door? You could also pop out the switch and disconnect it, and then open and close from the app or screen.

Try tracking whether or not you have the fob in your pocket. Also, when you are in motion, do you ever get the three loud beeps from either door? that is what happens if you command the FWD to open while in motion. Same thing, sitting on the fob again. At least now the car will send a notification to your smartphone if any door has been left open for 10 minutes.

Passive Entry only means the vehicle unlocks when you get close and has nothing to do with whether or not doors open from the remote, so it likely has nothing to do with the FWDs regardless of how they are opening. If disabling it makes a difference, you could try turning it back on, but switching the unlock setting so only the driver door unlocks with passive entry (first unlock is for driver door and you have to unlock a second time to open other doors, which passive entry can't trigger), hard to say if that would be more or less convenient for you.

Regarding whether or not you could "lock yourself out if the remotes aren't working right," passive entry depends on the remotes, just like manual unlocking does, so the setting shouldn't really have much bearing on whether or not you could be locked out with the fobs in hand.

While you didn't mention it, I'll also point out that the Automatic Doors setting only controls whether the front doors can be opened with the remote instead of the "handle" button on the actual door, so that setting would also be unlikely to have any effect on the FWDs.

This sounds like an electrical gremlin, but if you're trying to isolate the issue while waiting for service, I'd recommend getting a signal-blocking pouch for each fob, that way you can be more certain the vehicle isn't detecting them or getting signals from them (for instance, it seems feasible to me that they could work from the back of the trailer even if they don't consistently work from inside your hand at the back of the trailer).

Try tracking whether or not you have the fob in your pocket. Also, when you are in motion, do you ever get the three loud beeps from either door? that is what happens if you command the FWD to open while in motion. Same thing, sitting on the fob again. At least now the car will send a notification to your smartphone if any door has been left open for 10 minutes.
This has been the source of every phantom door opening I have every experienced. The buttons on the fobs can get push by change in a pocket or purse. And with every step you take your could be pushing a button.

It's not the fobs. They couldn't have caused some of the incidents.

The FWDs are known to be glitchy. I think service center hopefully can find an issue and fix it.

This is why I'm genuinely concerned to take delivery of an X. My S has been great and I'm still not 100 percent the X is the best option but I hope it works out.

It's not the fobs. They couldn't have caused some of the incidents.
What do you mean by “couldn’t have caused some of the incidents?” I have found my FWD to be highly reliable. Only problem I ever had was the drivers side would sometimes not open on hot days, parked in the sun. Failed proximity (ultrasonic) sensor. Mobile service fixed it in warranty.

What do you mean by “couldn’t have caused some of the incidents?” I have found my FWD to be highly reliable. Only problem I ever had was the drivers side would sometimes not open on hot days, parked in the sun. Failed proximity (ultrasonic) sensor. Mobile service fixed it in warranty.

The fobs were not present near the car for one incident.

FWDs are very complex. A lot can go wrong and hopefully OP can get a solution like you did.

The fobs were not present near the car for one incident.

I wouldn't trust this. Perhaps they *were* close enough even though you thought they weren't. Or perhaps the problem is the FWDs *and* the FOBs.

Just to start investigating, I would definitely recommend getting those FOBs into some radio-deadening device and run with it for a week or so. Get a feel for what things are like with the FOBs out of the picture. If the problem persists, that'll let you rule out the FOBs. If the problem goes away, bring the FOBs out and it should return.

It'll certainly be easier than scheduling service and taking it in.

So we have come into a perplexing problem - not sure if it's FOB related, but our experience lately suggests it's not us. And for the record, we've booked a Service Appointment.

So occasionally we've come out to our X and one of the FWDs has been wide open...sometimes all night. It happened relatively infrequently so we figured it was us accidentally pressing it. But recently it begun to happen far more frequently. We had already switched the fob from single click to triple-click because I was always leaning on the fob when reaching into the back and closing the hatch on my head. This was quite obvious when I was at fault, these latest issues not so much.

My wife went grocery shopping and came back to the car and one of the FWDs is wide open in the parking lot, who knows for how long. Later, we were at the check-in to the campsite (only yesterday) and the right FWD was opening and closing by itself. We had both the FOBs in the car, but they were both in the cup-holder. It would open, then stop, then close, then open again, my wife got after my 5-y.o. who exclaimed it was't her. I was out grabbing firewood and could see she wasn't pressing anything. Slightly embarrassing when your car is mis-behaving in front of company.

And the icing on the cake: last night one of the kids awoke and the trailer was glowing red; the taillights and headlights were on blasting through the campground at 1:30AM and the FWD wide open, yet again. Both sets of keys were up at the back of the trailer, and they don't function from there. We closed it, put the keys back. We awoke a few hours later, and there it was again wide open. This happened two more times. I kept the key above me inside (where the FOB does reach) so I could close it again without having to get out of bed. It didn't happen again.

We left the campground to get cellular reception (because there is none at the campground) to schedule a service appointment, because at this point it's becoming an issue. As we were stopped at a light, the door tried to open again but the car gave us the error beeps because the doors were locked. Interestingly at night, the car did the whole passive entry unlock dual-honk, unfold mirrors, open the door, despite the fact the FOB was nowhere near.

When the car is in it's strange door-opening mood, the FOB actually doesn't function, neither of them. When I do any of the normal dual-presses, nothing happens. When I triple-click on the roof (the close-all), it opens and closes only the door that had opened by itself. The fact that both FOBs are the same likely indicates it's not a problem with a single FOB. The other strange thing is that it was the passenger FWD that had opened at the gate house, and the rest of the time it had been the driver FWD. Add to this the phantom "object detected" refusal to open and refusal to manually override issues we've had 3-4 times now, we're losing our minds a bit here.

So question: will turning off passive entry help in the interim? It seems the car doesn't even need the FOB anyways(to open that door by itself), and if the FOB/car is malfunctioning could that lock us out?(I've only ever used passive entry, so am unfamiliar with how the car works without it... and without cellular reception slightly worried.)
I too have found my passenger side FWD open for no apparent reason on several occasions since the latest upgrade to Version 2021.4.21 on 6/25/21. This never happened before that. Probably it’s just a coincidence unless others have been experiencing this recently as well.

I've just had this happen (noted it here) and it definitely wasn't the FOB because at the time the door
opened, the FOB was sitting on my desk at work. It wasn't in my pocket, and I was a long way
from the car.

I've got sentry video from the event, and there was no-one nearby.

I've got old software - 2020.48.37.6.