Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FWDs wouldn't open, couldn't override

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone else experienced this situation? With no obstacles anywhere, neither FWD would open, nor would they even respond to manual override (screen or button). Eventually, after driving around a bit, everything resolved. Odd, no? I suspect a software issue.

5915F523-908D-4D20-A199-B626309FA10C.jpeg

Ice on top?

There was nothing blocking the sensor; the entire roof was clean as a whistle. All snow had melted the day prior.

Oddly, the screen indicates an obstruction, but doesn't show any sensor reporting one. Further, the doors should *always* respond to manual override. That's the most concerning, as it represents a safety issue when only young children occupy the back seats.

Last edited:
Did somebody say BIRD POOP. Yes it will not open with poop on the sensor. HoHoHo.

Not the case here. In fact, conveniently this issue occured as I rolled into a self service car wash (with a 30 foot ceiling) to clean brake dust from my rims. I took the opportunity to spray the roof of the car repeatedly, even though it was already pristine--you could eat off of it. It didn't not help. The doors still refused to budge.

I could imagine a sensor failure. What I can't imagine is why the car would not allow a manual override.
Yeah, usually if the sensors show ‘something’ you get the ‘waves’ near the doors. I get them in my garage from a wall and a ‘bumper’ I have hanging down between two cars.

I’ve never seen the yellow like this which looks like the open trunk/frunk. It may mean ‘unknown obstacle that I can’t see/understand’ and thus won’t allow override.

That’s my guess :)

Has anyone else experienced this situation? With no obstacles anywhere, neither FWD would open, nor would they even respond to manual override (screen or button). Eventually, after driving around a bit, everything resolved. Odd, no? I suspect a software issue.

Random musings: Any chance there was ice in the seam between the doors and rest of the car? Wondering if the yellow indicated that it could not lift the doors. Did the latches make any sounds?

PSA: be extra careful in parking garages after such an event.

One of my FWDs just opened into a thick concrete beam, despite passing under a number of them just beforehand.

I think this means that my roof ultrasonic sensor silently failed before Tesla service could get around to diagnosing the original issue, preventing the FWD height from being restricted.