Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FYI: Tesla is physically disconnecting radar from 2021-2022 Plaid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Moderator note: Edited thread title to reflect the radar units in question are being disconnected, instead of removed.

I had mobile service visit me to fix the trunk lunch on my 2022 Model S Plaid.

As part of the service bulletin, an entry said, "Disable and remove front radar." I asked the tech about it, and he explained it was a service bulletin that was added by the Tesla mothership. The directions were to open the frunk, lift the liner, remove the radar, and install a cap on the connector.

The tech checked my software version and confirmed my car software hadn't used radar for over 3 months.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
Reactions: birjman
Why physically remove? That seems like unnecessary work for something that can otherwise just be ignored in software. And why only remove it on the refresh cars? I have (now) useless radar in my 2019 as well.

Are they repurposing the radar sensors for some other project? Maybe they're selling them to a manufacturer that still believes radar works? Such as all of them?

• Funny
Reactions: aerodyne and mspohr
Why physically remove? That seems like unnecessary work for something that can otherwise just be ignored in software. And why only remove it on the refresh cars? I have (now) useless radar in my 2019 as well.

Are they repurposing the radar sensors for some other project? Maybe they're selling them to a manufacturer that still believes radar works? Such as all of them?
A mobile tech told me that the software that disabled the radar didn't cut power and it's still using power, which is why they are recommending to disconnect it.

Not sure how true that is, but that's what I was told.

That seems plausible, but I wonder how much power the radar sensor is really drawing, and why does Tesla care so much about that?

This page refers to an automotive radar system using at max, 20 watts:

Some of the newer ones use 1.2w. There is something very mysterious about this.

That seems plausible, but I wonder how much power the radar sensor is really drawing, and why does Tesla care so much about that?

This page refers to an automotive radar system using at max, 20 watts:

Some of the newer ones use 1.2w. There is something very mysterious about this.
The Continental ARS4-B radar used in Model S draws a whopping 4 watts. 😆

Continental ARS4-B Datasheet

• Informative
Reactions: beatle
Are they physically removing the radar box or just "removing" the connection to the car? I don't know why that is unclear, either they take it out or they don't, which is it?

This article was rewritten to suggest they do not take the radar unit out of the car.

Editor’s note: this article has been a{sic} updated to clarify the radar is only being disconnected, not removed entirely.

I know in the beginning when Tesla was switching FSD Beta users to Tesla Vision there was some bug Greentheonly pointed out. I wonder if it's related to that? The Tesla Vision capable software branches would prevent Radar modules from booting up in radar equipped cars, but if the radar does happen to boot it would cause some type of memory leak or error IIRC...