Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FYI: Tesla is physically disconnecting radar from 2021-2022 Plaid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just picked up a 2021 Plaid from the Tesla store, delivered in one week. Have a few issues and so scheduled my first service. Tesla was kind enough to add an item 'Disable Front Radar Sensor' to my service ticket without my asking. I've tried to delete it, but it keeps coming back!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0EA4B5BC6A5E-1.jpeg
    IMG_0EA4B5BC6A5E-1.jpeg
    89.1 KB · Views: 131
  • Informative
Reactions: hybridbear
Why wouldn't you want them to disable a radar that isn't functional and could cause errors for your car? It's like saying please do not remove the 3G cell service from my car, even though it is obsolete. There are much more important issues with your car than this.

Why wouldn't you want them to disable a radar that isn't functional and could cause errors for your car? It's like saying please do not remove the 3G cell service from my car, even though it is obsolete. There are much more important issues with your car than this.

It's like having Tesla disable the heated seats for you, without warning or notice, because you might get too hot.

Did you ask to have them disabled? What if you're comfortable with your heated seats?

Why would I NOT want front radar? It seems that more sensors should be better than fewer sensors. It's not an obsolete technology like 3G. It's also not their car to muck around with. It was their car, before I paid for it and picked it up this past Saturday. If they wanted to disable the radar they should have done so when they owned the car. Now it's mine, and it should require consent before materially disabling or degrading my vehicle.

It's like having Tesla disable the heated seats for you, without warning or notice, because you might get too hot.

Did you ask to have them disabled? What if you're comfortable with your heated seats?

Why would I NOT want front radar? It seems that more sensors should be better than fewer sensors. It's not an obsolete technology like 3G. It's also not their car to muck around with. It was their car, before I paid for it and picked it up this past Saturday. If they wanted to disable the radar they should have done so when they owned the car. Now it's mine, and it should require consent before materially disabling or degrading my vehicle.
But... you do know it hasn't been in use for ages? It's pointless hardware, taking up space, adding weight, and perhaps adding to power drain by even existing, plugged in. There's ZERO benefit having it in the car. This is nothing like heated seats.

The radar in your car is not and will not ever be used again. The new HW4 cars will have a new HD radar installed, but your radar is obsolete, and not enabled.
Do we know for a fact it is not functioning? I have "sort-of" tested it and I have had a total of 4 Model S vehicles. This weekend, my car still "saw" in the dark, a vehicle that had no lights on. It showed up on the top of my display at ~300-600 ft, not sure exactly, but was similar as with my older cars. If the vision only can see that well through snow, rain, etc then it should not matter, but seems bad to disable proven tech without a replacement being ready, ie Ultrasonics. If they are adding high def radar, they clearly KNOW radar is needed... Also, when I go into my service menu it still shows radar as being active/functioning to the car. Also, my ultrasonics still work...

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne
Do we know for a fact it is not functioning? I have "sort-of" tested it and I have had a total of 4 Model S vehicles. This weekend, my car still "saw" in the dark, a vehicle that had no lights on. It showed up on the top of my display at ~300-600 ft, not sure exactly, but was similar as with my older cars. If the vision only can see that well through snow, rain, etc then it should not matter, but seems bad to disable proven tech without a replacement being ready, ie Ultrasonics. If they are adding high def radar, they clearly KNOW radar is needed... Also, when I go into my service menu it still shows radar as being active/functioning to the car. Also, my ultrasonics still work...
They aren't disabling USS, but they did disable the radar.

My car without radar can still see cars with no lights on.

There's no reason for the radar to be connected and it can create issues, which is why they are spending money to disconnect it physically.

Reactions: electricar
Understood, that is from almost a year ago. It mainly discusses ultrasonics, which still have not achieved parity with Vision. More importantly, it does not address removing/disabling the tech from existing vehicles.
Sadly Tesla replaced that page with the USS information, removing the radar information completely from their site. But you can go to the Internet archive to view it from before the USS change:

Do Model S and Model X still use radar?
As of mid-February 2022, all Model S and Model X built for the North American market utilize Tesla Vision.
All Model S and Model X built for the North American market prior are equipped with radar.

So for more than a year now the Model S/X have not used radar. We have no evidence that they are actually using the HD radar that has been installed in some vehicles. (And I think in some cases it is the HD radar that they are disconnecting.)

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne