Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FYI Update: Puget Sound Energy Green Power Energy Mix

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, just brief FYI on how the evolution of the "green power" program (what you get with REC purchases) was for 2013.
For those of us that live "in the shade" (i.e. hidden under trees) and can't invest in community solar projects, it gives the option to instruct our utility to purchase our Wh from renewable sources at a symbolic premium.

PSE Green Power in 2013 is:
75% Wind (Purchased from WA,OR,ID,CA)
11% Livestock Methane (WA,OR)
10% Low Impact Hydro (WA)
3.5% Solar (WA,OR,CA)
0.5% Landfill Gas (WA)

This shows an IMO positive big increase in wind (up to 75% from 50% some years ago) less landfill gas (used to be 20%) & wood waste (0% now).

Compared to the regular energy mix for PSE in 2013:
42% Hydroelectric
30% Coal
18% Nat Gas
8% Wind
1% Nuclear
1% Other

If you are using PSE and are not signed up, I recommend doing so even if you have solar panels. Other utilities may brand their programs differently but they all have to offer REC options to consumers up to a minimum amount.

Um, I'm pretty sure that's the mix for just the part of the normal mix replaced by the Green Power program, not the overall mix. You'll still be largely hydroelectric.

PSE gives a couple of different options, but if you choose the 100% Usage option, then PSE will purchase the same number of kWh from purely green sources (the list the OP gave) as you use each month. So while you're still connected to the grid which is largely hydro, you are offsetting your entire usage with sources from just that list.

There is more info here: http://pse.com/savingsandenergycenter/GreenPower/Pages/For-Homes.aspx

I've been doing the same thing here on the East Coast as CL&P offers to replace 100% or 50% usage with renewable. I have opted for 100% which uses 99% wind and 1% solar. It costs an extra $0.0099/kWh. Generation is outsourced and CL&P only handles distribution and administrative components of utility these days.

Given this option, I have debated whether or not it makes sense to install a solar array at my home. I received an estimate from a local solar installer suggesting I could generate 77% of my needs via solar annually (obviously selling back excess in summer and buying shortfall from grid in winter). I guess my question is why throw $15k to install solar when theoretically I am already 100% renewable. At a minimum, my additional fee is helping to fund larger scale wind projects which I assume are more efficient then individual home setups.

Thoughts?

PSE gives a couple of different options, but if you choose the 100% Usage option, then PSE will purchase the same number of kWh from purely green sources (the list the OP gave) as you use each month. So while you're still connected to the grid which is largely hydro, you are offsetting your entire usage with sources from just that list.

There is more info here: http://pse.com/savingsandenergycenter/GreenPower/Pages/For-Homes.aspx

Interesting. I've been enrolled in the 100% usage program for nearly 10 years and when I first signed up it was definitely the case you were paying extra to replace just the non-renewable portion with renewables, which since so much of our power was already hydroelectric wasn't too much of an extra premium. I guess over the years the program has changed to be a total replacement, perhaps as wind and solar generation costs have come down, and I didn't even realize it.

Either way, it's a great program and indeed worth it.

I've been doing the same thing here on the East Coast as CL&P offers to replace 100% or 50% usage with renewable. I have opted for 100% which uses 99% wind and 1% solar. It costs an extra $0.0099/kWh. Generation is outsourced and CL&P only handles distribution and administrative components of utility these days.

At a minimum, my additional fee is helping to fund larger scale wind projects which I assume are more efficient then individual home setups.

Thoughts?

Well yes you can out source it; but given inflation and maybe more demand for electricity costs are probably going to go up. Having your own production locks in the costs.

All we need is a high voltage DC to AC converter to plug into the Tesla to go off grid or make it earn money while it's sitting(grin)...

What I want is PSE to offer time-of-use pricing. We have little incentive to wait to charge an EV. To add insult to injury, my PSE energy reports now say that I'm inefficient, when the only change was to switch my driving from ICE to EV.

Going one step further: I'm wondering if time-of-use rates might be a way to delay the Energize Eastside program. There seems to be significant opposition to it right now. If they can reduce the urgency, it might get PSE some time to get more buy-in from Eastside residents.